New SLDR "C" Series Driver, Fairway Woods, and Rescue Hybrids

Status
Not open for further replies.
Come on guys, it would not be economically feasible for TM to take a completed JetSpeed head, disassemble the welded/bonded components, and strip the paint, only to wind up with a raw casting to be used to build a brand new SLDR "C"head. Too much labor involved in that scenario. It is therefore not accurate to call the C-Series a re-painted JetSpeed. The "C" driver goes through the same kind of assembly process as other TM products, (in China).

What is quite possible, (and economically feasible), is to begin with brand new raw head castings that may or may not have been cast from the same mold(s) used to create the JetSpeed, Burner, the AeroBurner or even something else, and build new SLDR "C" drivers from there.

Keep in mind that when you begin with a raw head casting, (no face or sole plate), it is completely unweighted, just a shell really, and therefore subject to plenty of clubmaker creativity. You have the option at that stage to place the weight wherever you want it, move the COG high, low, forward or back, etc.

Depending on just how you do all the internal weighting, you can build a GI, Driver, an SGI Driver or a Better Player's Driver, all from the same basic 460cc head casting. The raw casting establishes the basic head shape, but really nothing more. Once the club is weighted, the face and sole plate are added and paint and graphics are applied..

Since the JetSpeed failed in the marketplace, it would make little sense for TM to build the exact same club again and just call it something else. I we all know TM is still capable of building quality drivers.

I have hit C-Series Driver in 9.5* and 10.5* and I am impressed with it!. Yes the face is more shallow face and definitely wider from heel-to-toe which makes it considerably more forgiving than either the original SLDR 460 or the 430. While easier to launch, distance was on par with those drivers for me as well. It is lighter in weight, swingweight is D-2 with the 45.5" Fuji 57 shaft.

You don't need to "loft up" with the "C" but it is still low spin, with a penetrating trajectory. I didn't think I would care for the Fuji 57 shaft, but it actually works just fine with this head in Stiff Flex at least. Last but not least, I think the Gloss Black looks better than any previous SLDR color.

Given the improved forgiveness, you can make the case that all the SLDR adjustability features are quite overrated. This is a Classic (Bonded) Driver that just works!

If this is all accurate, why haven't we heard a peep from TaylorMade regarding this new performance enhancing release?

FWIW I went to Golfsmith today & talked to the GM. A while back TM asked for their entire inventory of Jetspeed drivers, gave them inventory credit & sent them almost the exact same number of SLDR "C" drivers.... Coincidence possibly, but it's "understood" at the retail level this isn't a new release or a driver with different technology. Many believe this is a repainted JetSpeed.

FWIW I went to Golfsmith today & talked to the GM. A while back TM asked for their entire inventory of Jetspeed drivers, gave them inventory credit & sent them almost the exact same number of SLDR "C" drivers.... Coincidence possibly, but it's "understood" at the retail level this isn't a new release or a driver with different technology. Many believe this is a repainted JetSpeed.

And just to be clear, I have never stated this to be a rebadged JetSpeed. I have not said it isn't either. I have stayed away from that the entire time. It does not surprise me the GM feels that way.

And just to be clear, I have never stated this to be a rebadged JetSpeed. I have not said it isn't either. I have stayed away from that the entire time. It does not surprise me the GM feels that way.

Like you I have no dog I this fight, I just found that interesting.

That question should to to Brian Bazell of TM. You can reach him directly via Linkedin. However, it may be because TM advertising budget is focused on R15 and AeroBurner. Plenty of SLDR buzz still exists from previous year ads, so TM is just capitalizing on that older buzz which is a smart thing to do.

LOL, okay.

Keep believing that and fighting for this to be true when it's very clear it's not the case.

TM has never been one to "slow play" a release.

This new TaylorMade Driver is so forgiving...

Attachments

• stk_xx_large.jpg
    stk_xx_large.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gotta admire the consistency though. And I'm not talking about the driver

Could be your last chance to buy a non-adjustable TM Driver...

IMO, TM's adjustable drivers have NEVER been as reliable as their non-adjustable ones.

Gotta admire the consistency though. And I'm not talking about the driver

Joe,
This made me laugh out loud. I just get back from California and visiting OEMs, and this is the first thing I see.

Could be your last chance to buy a non-adjustable TM Driver...

IMO, TM's adjustable drivers have NEVER been as reliable as their non-adjustable ones.
What makes it less reliable? Are they made in Germany?

Cant be that reliable if you guys are buying all this crap to glue on in an attempt to make them work hahaha

The original SLDR's were much too "heel heavy" partially due to the FCT hosel adjustment which weighs approximately 7-grams. (That is equal to 3.5 swingweights). The result of this "heel heaviness" was the "dreaded low hook miss" those drivers are so well know for.

TM dropped the FCT on the "S" model hoping to add some forgiveness to the SLDR line, but unfortunately the "S" was still very much a player's head, and quite penal when you missed the sweetspot

The head was redesigned for the C-Series and the new lower profile head is easily the most forgiving of all the SLDR Drivers. Like the others the "C" delivers good distance with low spin but now that occurs on virtually every drive. The "C" prefers to go dead straight much like the Classic TM bonded drivers from the past...

Judge it AFTER you have hit it...

I can only say this one more time...According to TaylorMade, the above is not true.
Hence the reason it is NOT even listed on their own website.
This directly from them on two different occasions.

The original SLDR's were much too "heel heavy" partially due to the FCT hosel adjustment which weighs approximately 7-grams. (That is equal to 3.5 swingweights). The result of this "heel heaviness" was the "dreaded low hook miss" those drivers are so well know for.

TM dropped the FCT on the "S" model hoping to add some forgiveness to the SLDR line, but unfortunately the "S" was still very much a player's head, and quite penal when you missed the sweetspot

The head was redesigned for the C-Series and the new lower profile head is easily the most forgiving of all the SLDR Drivers. Like the others the "C" delivers good distance with low spin but now that occurs on virtually every drive. The "C" prefers to go dead straight much like the Classic TM bonded drivers from the past...

Judge it AFTER you have hit it...

BigCat. Just curious. Why is it not in your bag if it's so great ? Not trying to be confrontational. Just curious. You speak so highly of it yet you're not gaming it.

The C's sold out around here After the Fathers Day sale/debut so it was hard to get your hands on.

I can only say this one more time...According to TaylorMade, the above is not true.
Hence the reason it is NOT even listed on their own website.
This directly from them on two different occasions.
It's not even worth it at this point lol

It's not even worth it at this point lol

Its always worth getting real information to people, directly from the source, because THPers deserve that. Its the reason we host THP Events, including those with TaylorMade so that THPers can get exactly what is going on.

Its always worth getting real information to people, directly from the source, because THPers deserve that. Its the reason we host THP Events, including those with TaylorMade so that THPers can get exactly what is going on.
I meant its not worth stating for like the 1000th time. You've already provided the facts straight from the source i dont even know how many times and they've been completely ignored. It's a shame really

BigCat. Just curious. Why is it not in your bag if it's so great ? Not trying to be confrontational. Just curious. You speak so highly of it yet you're not gaming it.

The C's sold out around here After the Fathers Day sale/debut so it was hard to get your hands on.

The SLDR C-series Driver is still widely available. You can Google to find out where to buy. It's a very good looking 460cc head...the new glossy black color makes it look smaller than it actually is.

I have a 9.5* SLDR C-Series Driver and I am presently alternating between that and my 12* SLDR 430 Tour issue Driver which is a balanced, hot melted head. My normal shot with the 430 Tour is a draw, while the C-Series is just dead straight. If I was playing in a tournament tomorrow with tight tree-lined fairways, the "C" would be in the bag.

Recently picked up another...a 12* Lefty C-Series Driver for my wife...she loves it too!

Last edited:
Best to hit it before judging it...

(Just as with ANY Driver from ANY manufacturer).

TaylorMade hasn't forgotten how to build classic bonded drivers...in fact, those have been their best efforts.

:angel:

I hit the JetSpeed and sldr over a year ago, so I'm good

I hit the JetSpeed and sldr over a year ago, so I'm good

Good for you...the SLDR C-Series came out in June of 2015

Every time I see this thread pop up I get the same feeling I had after watching the crying game .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back