What do you see when you stand on the tee?

When I'm on the tee box, standing behind the ball, I see where I want the ball to land.
Then based on conditions, and the shot shape I want I pick a target on the horizon.
That's where I want to start the ball, step up to the shot and let it fly.

I see my hopes and dreams, pre shot.

I see my anxieties and nightmares post shot.

I'd be a +3 if I could throw out the first two holes. A lot of its rushing. I'm so impatient that it would kill me to watch a group that I could have tee'd off before play in front of me. I would think that they would be the dreaded 6 hour round group. Some of its not. I try to forget everything I've ever learned the first two holes and aim the ball too much. Results in blocked tee shots and scrambles for par (hopefully). I usually arrive at the third tee pissed off and 100% abondoning aiming and I hit the ball with murderous rage. It generally gets things going well and I gain some ground on the round that I've thought I pissed away.

Reading this, I realize I need a swing shrink to improve. But I'm too smart for that. I'll just try to play it smart and safe next time and hope for the best. Until I have steam blowing out of my ears on the third tee. Then it's one waggle, no aim, and KILL IT! Works out well for me, I settle down and then play golf. My best rounds, I find a loud grunt on the third tee is ok. The louder I "encourage" the ball here, the better I play. If any of you ever have the displeasure (for you, sorry-I'll generally enjoy every second on the course hole 4+) of playing with me, ignore me and my game until hole 4. I'm working through some stuff. :)

Here's the way I process it.

I look out there where I want the ball to end up. Then scan that area for trouble (where I don't want to be). Then pick the club and shot shape that will get me where I want to go without risking ending up where I don't want to be.

Example: A course I play often has a par 4 finishing hole that has about a 125 yard carry over a pond to a right to left diagonal fairway with trees along the left side and rough right of the fairway. I don't even notice the water. I'm looking 250 yards out. The bad miss is left. So being a left handed player the best shot for me is a power fade. If I hit it, I'm in the fairway 125-150 yards out and never bring the trees on the left in play. My 'miss' on that shot would be to hit it straight or start the ball too far right. So my worst case is being in the right rough 150-175 out and the rough on this hole isn't too bad. So either way I have a good chance to get on the green in two.

Once the tee is down, my line, target area, and assumed shot shape are already decided. I get behind the ball and see the distant target I picked out. I line up to the distant target and go. When I do that, I’m picking up my tee quickly and seeing visions of birdies dance in my head. Now to do that the other 9/10 times.

I've started looking at where I want to stand first.
Some of the tee boxes around here have low spots, and I don't want to hit a tee shot from a slanted/uneven stance.
Then I tee the ball and stand behind it.
I look to see how far left I can be, and how far right.
If there are no hazards, split the distance and go for the best in-between area.
If there is water or a lay up area, figure out which club.

Lately, I have been using a 4 wood for my tee shots on this par 5 at our course.
A driver will put you into trees on both sides.
I can put my 4 wood out there and let it roll about 235ish.
This lets me hit another 4 wood, or a 5 wood within half-wedge distance to the green.

I just mainly see where I want my ball to land. I make note of the trouble spots but don't really pay them much attention. I pick my line and then just go for it.

I try to keep it simple. I pick a target of where I want to start the ball. It's usually a relative safe target to mitigate my two way miss; however, if I'm stroking it well that day, it'll be starting it down the right side and letting it come back to the fairway.

I first look at the layout of the hole and determine shot shape type. Then I will pick my spot on the tee box i want to tee it up from. I think in years past this is something that has hurt me, especially with larger tee boxes. I would usually just tee it up in the middle and swing away but I've been working on making every shot have a purpose and it has helped me. If i am hitting driver, I look for a target in the distance above the fairway, usually a tree top or something. Im rarely looking at the fairway or any trouble on the hole. I know if i put a good swing on it and hit my target I'll be fine. If im using anything less than driver, I imagine the hole is a par 3 and will try to hit it in the center of an imaginary green. Too many times I will take the safe play and hit less than driver, not take it that serious and put a terrible swing on it and Im in even more trouble than i was initially trying to avoid

I try to visualize where my tee shot should go. I haven't made that shot yet!

Typically I pick a spot I want the ball to land and if I miss where that will go based on trouble.

I see nothing but a perfect shot. Dead straight every time. Then I hit and the real world returns........

Last edited:
I just step up and smite me one! Can't focus on a spot 450 yards away anyways..... :)

I see the line I want to hit the ball on. Any hazards out there had already been factored in when I made my club selection. When I get behind the ball, it's just about the line and execution.

I see ball flight then landing area once my tee is in the ground. I'll access trouble first, then choose what side of the box to plant my peg. From there it's focusing on the plan.

I'm looking to see where I can start it. If I start "there" and pull it, what do I have next? If I start "here" and fade/cut it, what's next?

By the time I'm ready to tee my ball up I've already made any decisions around carries, layup & club selection. Once the tee's in the ground, I back up and try to visualize where I want the ball to land and how it will get there (some days it's a draw, lately a fade though), then pick my aiming point, step up and swing away.

I look at a target that I know I can't reach, like a tree behind the green on a par 4 and concentrate on my target a try to put a smooth swing on it.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

First I see a line in which I want the ball to travel, then I follow that line back to the tee to about 5. yards in front of me. Then all I focus on is hitting that line.

Back