Talking Shafts with Project X - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 3

If you haven't listened to this WHAT ROCK ARE YOU HIDING UNDER?

Holy hell this is good, seriously, no BS, this is silly crazy good.

Torque mongers, take a listen. :alien:

Talking Shafts with Project X - The Golf Industry Uncut Volume 3

Also wanted to thank Dan for providing the correct pronunciation for the HZRDUS! Also fun trying to tell someone what shaft you have in on the first tee box.

Really glad everybody is enjoying it. Had a good time talking with Don as well and it makes me that much more excited for #TheHandCraftedExperience

Quoted because I heard so many good things about this experience and I don't think I can sit by and not take a chance at getting into this event. It's too good to pass up on!

Pretty cool listen here. I am definitely interested in trying out these new shafts. Thanks for giving all THPers some insight!

Finally just got a chance to listen after dedicating to family time last night. I was truly blown away by how interesting the discussion topics were and the very informative and easy to understand answers Don gave to these topics.

Going to be tough for me to not have this version of uncut be my favorite at the conclusion of the series with Don being a Red Sox fan, stating that only meat toppings belong on pizza and voicing his fondness for the wonderful city of Charleston, SC.

Great interview. My technical knowledge is definitely on the low side, and this really cleared up some misconceptions I had. Really enjoyed it. Plus he's a red sox fan, which is a plus in my book.

So DB...A question on the other end of torque. I get how you said it is really the last factor that should be looked at, for all the internet swingers wanting as low of torgue aas possible.

Does that affect us mortal swingers as well, say with a 93 to 94 mph moderate tempo swing, I think we had been led to believe the higher the torque close to 5 the more forgiving (less twisting?) we would see. So is it not as important on that end of the scale as well. And we should just focus on the other factors in the shaft you mention?

Thanks, great stuff!!

In general slower swing speeds also tend to not hit the center of the face as often, mid to high torque shafts won't feel as harsh when you hit it in on the heel. Also as someone who doesn't often find the center of the face, I find that the higher torque shafts give me better feed back on the bad ones.

In terms of torque on ball flight performance, I wouldn't give torque nearly as much consideration as launch condition, weight and feel.

DB

Glad you guys enjoyed the episode. Don is a wealth of knowledge with some unique degrees.

Got a chance to listen to this episode this morning. Holy cow some knowledge was released on golf shafts for me. Really enjoying this series as i got to listen to JB and Michael Vrska from Wilson Staff earlier today. Love the insider knowledge!

One thing to note like everything on Uncut, if you have questions, pose them to Don right in this thread and he will answer for you. No question to simple or to complex.

Finally found some time this morning to listen to this episode and I think the Project X event just jumped up my list to number 1. Listening to some of the answers really helped me understand more about shafts. I will admit my shaft knowledge isn't all that great to begin with so I had plenty to learn! I can only imagine a couple days in person

Listened to this one on the plane.. Coming back on Red Eye!! Yep.. They are red!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One of the things I enjoy about Uncut and recording it is that the guests have no idea what I am going to ask.

One of the things I enjoy about Uncut and recording it is that the guests have no idea what I am going to ask.

I think that is what makes it so fun and easy to listen to. You can tell they are not prepared answers.

What a great interview. I admittedly have very little knowledge when it comes to shafts and he was a wealth of information. He would be great to just sit around with and listen to.

Great listen. Love Don's WITB.

Enjoyed learning more about shaft technology and especially the launch spin talk. Don knows his stuff. These have been very informative without getting too technical.

Also, I keep waiting to hear the beat drop on the show's theme, but it never happens! Haha

Enjoyed learning more about shaft technology and especially the launch spin talk. Don knows his stuff. These have been very informative without getting too technical.

Also, I keep waiting to hear the beat drop on the show's theme, but it never happens! Haha

That was the goal with this one. To explain some of the technical info and make it easy for people to understand.

Just listened and read Dons replies in this thread, great listen with tons of info so much I'm gonna have to listen again.

The hzds yellow sounds fantastic

Informative episode. I am beginning to realize how similar golf shafts are to skis, including the new materials and manufacturing technologies that are opening up a lot of innovative options.

I agree strongly with pizza requiring meat. This is a constant battle in our household ...

Informative episode. I am beginning to realize how similar golf shafts are to skis, including the new materials and manufacturing technologies that are opening up a lot of innovative options.

I agree strongly with pizza requiring meat. This is a constant battle in our household ...

Requiring ONLY meat (and cheese).

I usually lose that one but only have to add the fajita vegetables (peppers and onions) which while not ideal is acceptable.

Requiring ONLY meat (and cheese).

I usually lose that one but only have to add the fajita vegetables (peppers and onions) which while not ideal is acceptable.

F that!! I'm not compromising on the pizza I eat!! The shaft I use clearly needs some change from the veggie plate it is though...

Man I loved that. I really enjoy the technical info. Makes me want to learn more about that stuff.

Man I loved that. I really enjoy the technical info. Makes me want to learn more about that stuff.

I agree. I loved Don's simple explanations and also love his idea of no magic pill out there. Find the head, fine tune with the shaft.
Dont overthink torque, 5 grams is overthought, etc.

I agree. I loved Don's simple explanations and also love his idea of no magic pill out there. Find the head, fine tune with the shaft.
Dont overthink torque, 5 grams is overthought, etc.

Like what he said about starting with carry distance and feel and worrying about torque later.

Back