How do you afford golf?

SlightDraw

Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 11
This question isn't geared towards those with Country Club memberships or the like but those who love to play golf, when they can afford to do so.

As you know golf, or at least getting good at golf, can become an expensive hobby. Clubs, bags, lessons, tee times etc all require a pretty penny.

How do you fit golf into your budget? Do you go for nice expensive course every once and awhile or a bunch of rounds on the cheap short 9 hole course around town? Where can you find value in your game?

Just curious as I am one who doesn't have a ton of extra expenses but wants to play golf more, and continue to get better.

Cheers

A range membership somewhere might be a good place to start. I had one for a while that was $30 a month and included discounts on green fees when I wanted to play their course.

A family membership at my home course is $250. It's also $75.00 to rent a cart shed. That's the biggest way I afford to play golf.

~Rock

Jacqui started working at a golf course in 2011, and since I helped out once in a while, they let me play for free, since I didn't abuse the privilege. Then I started working a little more each year until it became what it is today, so I can play any of our four courses for free. As can she. Makes golf relatively cheap most of the time.

I sell drugs. Seriously though I work a lot and that means when I can play the means are there most of the time. Im not on Kang's or some of the other guys club ho level yet where Im comfortable buying 10 sets of irons and a few drivers each week just for sh**ts and giggles but I could buy a club or two anytime I want. I just research to death and talk myself out of a lot plus Im not really close to many places where I can go hit and test equipment beforehand. My main goal going forward is to make more THP events in some of the more out of my way locations.

Cheaper courses for 9's after work and quick 18's on the weekend, and save the money for nice courses and play THP events instead.

If you have the time to spare, volunteer as a marshal, or most courses (at least all of ours) pay for cart people. Then you can get free and/or discounted golf most of the time.

I have a decent income but the only provider in my house (long story) and what works for me is playing the cheaper rural courses around here and once in a while if we plan and budget for it I can sneak in an 80-100 round a few times a year.

I have a membership at a municipal course locally, by no means a country clubcrazy good value. $1150 family membership, but I'll break it down. My wife plays and we both walk. 18 holes walking is $26 any day of the week so it's about 44 rounds to break even. We have at least 35 rounds played this year between the two of us. Our course also has a crazy good reciprocal list, all reciprocals cost anywhere from $17-$25 to play 18 holes w/ a cart! As long as you break even at the home course, the reciprocals are where you not only save but also enjoy a round with a cart. I played a course by us that hosts a Champions Tour event for $25 w/ a cart on a Saturday since it's a reciprocal and locals were paying $68 for the same

A family membership at my home course is $250. It's also $75.00 to rent a cart shed. That's the biggest way I afford to play golf.

~Rock

Jesus, range memberships are more than that at come locations near me #jealous

We find a way. Give up fancy dinners and crazy trips that cost thousands - But I always argue it's better to have something for 52 weeks than it is to have something for 1 week.

Lessons are sporadic. Clubs can be had very cheap if I buy decent barely used previous year. With the amount I play, it's actually cheaper to belong to a course.

I practice a lot more than I play, I love getting out there and hitting shots and when a round isn't in the budget I can spend half the green fee and hit a course in my head on the range.

I do well enough I give myself a little bit each month I can use for golf. I'm not where I can afford to club ho (as much as I want to hehe), but when I'm not hindered by work stuff I can usually get out and play.

Not having kids helps.

I realize you said this was not aimed at those with CC memberships (which I have) but I wanted to add this insight. I have not been a country club member all my life. Matter of fact, I grew up in a financially challenged family.
Starting when I entered high school, I realized that I did not want to struggle like my family had done for years. The way to a better life was education and then getting a good job. Still, life offers many challenges...a lot of them can be summed up in one word...DEBT!
It took me a few years to realize how much money I was spending every year in interest charges that I could be using to do stuff I wanted to do or buy stuff I wanted.
I cut up every credit card I had except one. I used that one card to live off of dedicated to the fact I would pay it off every month. And, I did that. Yep...it hurt. Lots of new things I wanted I just could not buy. I looked at it that if I could not afford to pay cash...basically it had to wait.
It hurts when you do this but believe me...it does pay off in the long run.
I played as much golf as I could afford during those lean years and many many rounds were on some cheap dog tracks but it was still golf.
And, that is how today I can afford the CC membership, play golf in a traveling league and play golf often.

I don't have kids, go out often or really have many other hobbies.

I have a range membership which gives me free use of a short game area, 50% off of balls, 10% off in the pro shop and $10 off greens fees. I usually play in the afternoon and I almost always walk which saves me quite a bit each round.

For gear, I rarely buy anything new or when it first comes out, though that urge to get the latest and greatest is always there, because it can't be my fault I am not good at this game right? Has to be the equipment:alien:

I manage the expenses as tightly as I can. I virtually never pay full price for any golf clothes or equipment. Playing early rounds and rounds at the local Executive course is less expensive and more family friendly (i.e., no 4 hour rounds). Also, it doesn't cost anything to practice putting or pitching/chipping. Sometimes I drag one of the kids along, we make a game out of that practice and my expense is limited to the cost of an ice cream cone afterward.

Another thing is that when people ask for gift ideas I tell them that I would love a gift card to a course. That can offset the cost of playing, lessons or new gear.

12-16 hour days, followed by logging a bunch of miles.

I don't have kids, go out often or really have many other hobbies.

I have a range membership which gives me free use of a short game area, 50% off of balls, 10% off in the pro shop and $10 off greens fees. I usually play in the afternoon and I almost always walk which saves me quite a bit each round.

For gear, I rarely buy anything new or when it first comes out, though that urge to get the latest and greatest is always there, because it can't be my fault I am not good at this game right? Has to be the equipment:alien:

For my whole life playing golf I just went with the clubs that were just passed down to me. Recently I had to recreate a whole new set of clubs and definitely splurged for a some higher end ones for my first real set I put together. Couldn't help myself.

I think looking into range memberships, using the free green and short game area is what I need to look into the most. We also have a short 9 hole course near where I work and that is about $15 to walk. I am extremely interested in some of these THP Events and would actually love to attend one in CA sometime or elsewhere.

Pay $600 per year for a yearly membership at a public course and always walk so no additional expenses. Will splurge for THP golf trips (official and unofficial) 4 or 5 times a year but not much else.

Aside from the putter collection, the rest of the bag generally stays constant for at least 2 years. Other than buying all new for my 50th birthday present to myself last December, I generally buy excellent condition used clubs and putters.

Paying off my mortgage 4 months ago certainly does not hurt the golf budget either!

A membership is key for me. They let me make payments and then i can play unlimited golf and not have to think about it which is nice. For clubs i just look for deals / sales and i trade or sell all my old stuff if i upgrade. Im so not a club ho haha i have like just 1 of everything and no extras.

Pay $600 per year for a yearly memvership at a public course and always walk so no additional expenses. Will splurge for THP golf trips (official and unofficial) 4 or 5 times a year but not much else.

Aside from the putter collection, the rest of the bag generally stays constant for at least 2 years. Other than buying all new for my 50th birthday present to myself last December, I generally buy excellent condition used clubs and putters.

Paying off my mortgage 4 months ago certainly does not hurt the golf budget either!

Tell me about this putter collection you have going on. Do you primarily use one?

Most of my rounds are paid for by my company.

Not having kids helps.
Good job and no kids is how I can afford a serious golf, club, and clothes habit.

Also I had to stop buying motorcycles.

Back