Lifting forward heal in backswing?

Alpha

Reaction score
Handicap
I am 60 and feel flexible enough, hcp is up to 12. Miss has been OTT for 30 yrs. Many yrs ago I was told to keep my left foot down on my backswing. I was told today that I had a good upper body turn but was sliding or swaying my lower body back and should try letting my left heal rise and my lower body would turn. I got to hit about 30 balls before dark, ballflight lowered and seemed crisp after about 10 balls to get used to it. Does this sound like a viable fix? (I didn't ask for his advice) LOL

Nothing wrong with lifting your heel off the ground on the backswing, it is probably a better way for you and keeping the back healthy enough to continue playing.

Yes, lifting your front foot will promote more of a turn and in many cases eliminate sway. But it does not necessarily correct an OTT downswing. Eliminating the sway puts you in a better position at the top of your backswing and yields a better coil, but an OTT swing is primarily a downswing sequencing problem. So if you still start your downswing by throwing your back shoulder out toward the ball the OTT remains. But if you utilize the improved coil to let the body unwind on on the downswing from the hips and core instead you'll now have an inside-out path to the ball.

Back