how picky are you with ball wear and tear? When do you replace?

how picky are you with ball wear and tear? When do you replace?

• at the slightest blemish

Votes: 7 4.7%
  • when small scuffing is present

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • when more moderate scuffing is present

Votes: 69 46.0%
  • will play it untill large significant damage

Votes: 37 24.7%

• Total voters
If I scuff a ball in a casual round, if it is not tremendously bad I will continue playing with it and then pitch it in the junk ball bucket after I finish. If it is a tournament, I will replace a scuffed ball after the hole is finished.

The way I play I don't think it matters.

18 holes,,unless major scuffing/damage

Small scuff, I'll play it, but once it gets a little worse I will replace it.

Has to be a good mark on the ball...not good enough for it to make a difference or bother me.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

I honestly didn't think we would have too many who play it till its only badly ruined.
I guess that may be due to two different reasons. people who play expensive balls and/or those who may be high cappers who even though may use cheaper balls still go through too many of them. In either scenario I guess using them as long as one can comes down to expense. And I certainly understand that.

Unless I hit a cart path or something really hard I usually lose a ball before I have the need to replace it. If it's scuffed up I'll put back in my bag for short game practice and play new ball for the round

Fwiw I often use the yellow e6 balls and the finish on those alomg with the optic yellow bright coloring makes it difficult to see slight scuffs and blemishes. This imo is good because it allows me to still use the ball where as similar stuff being more noticeable on plain white balls may cause me to toss them in the shag bag.

I usually play my ball until I lose it.

I used to be picky but unless the Chrome Soft balls I use, hit a cart path I can't tell how long they have been in play.

I usually play a ball till it gets a decent cut or a scrape which would affect it during a putt.

I play them until they are pretty beat. The ball is the least of my worries when playing. That's the same reason I play the least expensive decent ball I can find.

I play em until they end up in the woods, or a lake.

Balls today don't cut like balls of the late 80's into the 1990's.

Generally they end up in the woods, sometimes water though. But if they get any kind of scuff they go in the shag bag and usually come back out when the driver is in the bag or I'm playing really bad. Cart paths are really hard on golf balls, I think they slide under my ball most of the time.

had to bump this thread because the other day during my round I was thinking of this as I realized I do tend to let slight nicks and scrapes bother me too much. I don't know why and I know Im not really good at this game nor generating any kind of real good stopping power on the greens but for some reason I just hate when the ball isn't in great condition. I just have this (probably very misguided) thought that a little nick, or bur on the ball will affect the flight and I just don't want any excuse at all for a poor mishit that I didnt do myself. I know its stupid but I guess its one of my crazy things I do for no real reason at all. Plus I don't use 4 dollar balls and also often by last and prior years versions at a discount so I always have very many. Just one of those things that bothers me though.

Oh yea..... and discolored balls really bother me too...lol and I even play yellow ones often. How strange is that?

Yeah... I think may have 'retired' a ball maybe three times in my life. One was my hole-in-one ball... the others had to have been severely torn up.

Usually, a ball meets its demise long before I intend to take it out of play.

?

Sent From My Samsung Note 4 Using Tapatalk

Actually, using new golf balls bothers me more. There's a "no fear" element to hitting old balls.

I have probably retired 3 balls in my entire life. One was so beat up after a round, the brand name had worn off.
I do not like losing new balls, so I don't play them very often.

I still lose at least 1-2 balls a round most of the time, so I've never had one last long enough to get much damage.

The slightest scuff like a shot hitting the cart path would make me want to retire it. But golf balls don't scuff easily anymore and I've been playing them a bit longer even if there is a small scuff.

Funny story, I was playing with my buddy and I hit a ball into the arroyo and when I got to the ball, it had a scuff from bouncing around. Once I got to the green and made the putt, I turned to my buddy and showed him the ball and said "Hey, you think this ball is still good?" He promptly took it and without looking heaved it into the desert...I told him I was still planning on playing the ball and only wanted his opinion.

Same here.. I check every tee looking for tees like they are gold.. But do a quick drive by where my ball is concerned.

It's a looks thing for me, but usually at the slightest blemish, I'll replace it. I know I probably should be more lax, it's too easy to reach for a fresh one.

On a side note, I find it funny that I'll spend longer looking for a 5 cent tee on or around the tee box that I just hit from, than I will a $4 ball that may or may not be lost.

If it is rough to the hand it is rough to the air, if it doesn't feel smooth it goes into the shag bag.

Same here.. I check every tee looking for tees like they are gold.. But do a quick drive by where my ball is concerned.

That is pretty funny and very many of us do this imo. But I think because we know (or believe) the tee is somewhere right there in front of us on the tee box somewhere so it should be so very easily found. We do know (or think we know) exactly where our tee is or should be. But a lost ball some 200 yards (or whatever distance) away becomes much more the needle in a haystack scenario only because we are not really certain exactly where it is.

Back