2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a gripe I'm going to make about this whole thing Neb, and it's a gripe about you AT ALL, so please don't read it that way.

A person's weight isn't the only factor of health. Somebody somewhere thought that 280 lbs was the starting place for healthy. There are lots of stories of people who appeared healthy and then had heartattacks and died.

I get that weight is an objective number and it's easy to measure. It pisses me off that it's the only barometer that is used.

Neb, over the past few weeks, you have made tremendous changes to your life. If you come up just short of your weight loss goal, not happening, don't be discouraged and don't quit.

If your insurance company just saw the enthusiasm you have displayed over the last month, they wouldn't care about you being under 280. You're making active choices to weigh less and be stronger. I hope it becomes a lifestyle choice for you and you keep with it. You seem like an awfully athletic guy, just being smarter with your food and focused activity will really unlock all of your potential.

Last edited:
Butting into this conversation a bit, but have a question about the water - what's the thought behind dropping water consumption? Just curious (as I drink a TON of water, as suggested through a nutrition program).

It will help with short term weigh-ins. Think about wrestlers who go into a sauna and jump rope. Helps get rid of some excess weight, it comes right back on if you drink a bunch of water, but it is a good weigh-in strategy

It will help with short term weigh-ins. Think about wrestlers who go into a sauna and jump rope. Helps get rid of some excess weight, it comes right back on if you drink a bunch of water, but it is a good weigh-in strategy

Makes sense. I haven't been keeping up with the thread all that much due to work being insane and the fact that I'm nursing a shoulder injury and haven't been able to get to the gym as much, so I figured it was quicker to ask than try to find the context.

Butting into this conversation a bit, but have a question about the water - what's the thought behind dropping water consumption? Just curious (as I drink a TON of water, as suggested through a nutrition program).
Water weight. The goal we are trying to hit right now is an arbitrary number on a scale, if we scale back the water and use a simple and enjoyable duaretic (merlot) we can hopefully cut those arbitrary pounds to meet and arbitrary number.

In general, I think it's hard to drink too much water. But to meet some actuary's idea of healthy, we need to cut some water over this last stretch.

I have a 20oz tumbler that I go through about 6 times in a day, and a 32oz bottle that I drain working out, then throughout the evening. I'd guess 180-200 ounces.

Just doing some quick math, you're drinking about a gallon and a half of water a day. A gallon of water weighs 8.33 pounds. You're drinking 13 pounds of water everyday. If we cut back to 100oz that's about 6 pounds of water.

As something to consider for this home stretch.

Here's a gripe I'm going to make about this whole thing Neb, and it's a gripe about you AT ALL, so please don't read it that way.

A person's weight isn't the only factor of health. Somebody somewhere thought that 280 lbs was the starting place for healthy. There are lots of stories of people who appeared healthy and then had heartattacks and died.

I get that weight is an objective number and it's easy to measure. It pisses me off that it's the only barometer that is used.

Neb, over the past few weeks, you have made tremendous changes to your life. If you come up just short of your weight loss goal, not happening, don't be late discouraged and don't quit.

If your insurance company just saw the enthusiasm you have displayed over the last month, they wouldn't care about you being under 280. You're making active choices to weigh less and be stronger. I hope it becomes a lifestyle choice for you and you keep with it. You seem like an awfully athletic guy, just being smarter with your food and focused activity will really unlock all of your potential.

I could not agree with this post more. Unless that weight number is defined based on everything else you can measure about a person (and there's no way that's the case), it's a completely arbitrary number.

Neb, over the past few weeks, you have made tremendous changes to your life. If you come up just short of your weight loss goal, not happening, don't be late discouraged and don't quit.

Just like BMi being end all to some people about what is over weight, etc. I read an article the other day that said the rock is considered overweight by BMi standards.

Just like BMi being end all to some people about what is over weight, etc. I read an article the other day that said the rock is considered overweight by BMi standards.
I know I'm not thin, but given my height, 6', age, 31, and weight, 235, I'm obese.

It's a joke.

I know I'm not thin, but given my height, 6', age, 31, and weight, 235, I'm obese.

It's a joke.

It's not necessarily a joke, it's just used incorrectly. BMI is a population statistic (and thus relies on averaging), and should be used to ask questions like "Is Wisconsin or Massachusetts more overweight?"

Neb, over the past few weeks, you have made tremendous changes to your life. If you come up just short of your weight loss goal, not happening, don't be discouraged and don't quit.

I agree with all of this to a point, but I can't pass off all of the blame for this. The program is based on BMI as the target (which says I should weigh 180...), but if you don't meet BMI you can still get your point for dropping 10% of your body weight. It's on me that I didn't start this sooner so that it wasn't such a mad sprint to the finish.

Through this, though, I've learned a lot about what it takes to get and stay healthy, and I was nowhere near that previously, so there is a net positive to it all. I fully intend to scale this program back a little to make it manageable but certainly will continue all year to easily make my 10% improvement for next year's screening.

I agree with all of this to a point, but I can't pass off all of the blame for this. The program is based on BMI as the target (which says I should weigh 180...), but if you don't meet BMI you can still get your point for dropping 10% of your body weight. It's on me that I didn't start this sooner so that it wasn't such a mad sprint to the finish.

Through this, though, I've learned a lot about what it takes to get and stay healthy, and I was nowhere near that previously, so there is a net positive to it all. I fully intend to scale this program back a little to make it manageable but certainly will continue all year to easily make my 10% improvement for next year's screening.
After you're weigh in, we will simplify everything and make it much more sustainable.

Let's see if this works

A few things. My wrists are sloppy in the set. My hands and arms should be straighter.

When discussing the bar bounce I say, "you always want to land on soft tissue." that is wrong, I misspoke. You never want to land on soft tissue, always on hard tissue.

Once you squeeze your shoulders together and down, they are "locked". During the set, never "unlock" your shoulders by rolling them up. If you have to reset your shoulders by resqueezing them, you've rolled your scapulas up during the press. This is a major power leak. So keep those shoulders locked.
Dude you are killing it with these videos, seriously. That info was great! I'm benching tonight so Ill try that, will try and get a video as well

Dude you are killing it with these videos, seriously. That info was great! I'm benching tonight so Ill try that, will try and get a video as well
That angle in my video is best for benching. I have to take your word on where the bar is coming down. But please, share some video.

Had an assessment workout today with a TPI instructor. The workout today was to identify areas of strength for me, but mainly areas of weakness and need work.

We went through strength, stability and flexibility tests and it was eye opening.

Found while the lower body was strong, I lacked stability and needs to improve.

Also discovered that my upper body is not as flexible as I thought and is probably hindering my swing immensly.

The instructor is now going to design a workout and eating plan for me and we are going to get to work next week.

One of things that I really loved - at the end of the workout he asked for my golf instructor's contact info. He is going to share his assessment of what I need to work on with Erika and he is going to have her send video of my swing.

I am very excited to see where this goes over the next 6-7 months.

Had an assessment workout today with a TPI instructor. The workout today was to identify areas of strength for me, but mainly areas of weakness and need work.

We went through strength, stability and flexibility tests and it was eye opening.

Also discovered that my upper body is not as flexible as I thought and is probably hindering my swing immensly.

The instructor is now going to design a workout and eating plan for me and we are going to get to work next week.

One of things that I really loved - at the end of the workout he asked for golf instructor's contact info. He is going to share his assessment of what I need to work on and he is going to have her send video of my swing.

This is something I've often considered. I wish I had done it a while ago, I can't wait to see more about this dude. Good luck and I hope it works well for you.

One of things that I really loved - at the end of the workout he asked for my golf instructor's contact info. He is going to share his assessment of what I need to work on with Erika and he is going to have her send video of my swing.

I'm interested in what sort of exercises they prescribe.

This is something I've often considered. I wish I had done it a while ago, I can't wait to see more about this dude. Good luck and I hope it works well for you.
It is something I have been looking at over the last couple of months. Finally got myself to stop in and chat with him - now I wish I had done it sooner.

It is going to a tough test, but this is my equipment ponder for now - me.

I'm interested in what sort of exercises they prescribe.
As am I.. The nice thing is that I will have access the TPI website with my workout plan, so I can track it and watch videos if I need help.

The nice thing is that he is setting this up for me to do with him, but also workout on my own.

I will be in here to share as much as possible.

It is something I have been looking at over the last couple of months. Finally got myself to stop in and chat with him - now I wish I had done it sooner.

It is going to a tough test, but this is my equipment ponder for now - me.
And the you equipment is the hardest to keep up.

I made the decision last night to go and give badminton a try again after not playing for over 10 months following my slipped disc

Needless to say I was sweating like the proverbial......but it was fun to be back on the court, even if I was rusty and slow compared to when I had to stop playing. Planning to ease myself back in gently and play every other week initially, assuming no ill effects, but hopefully I can get back to playing properly sooner rather than later especially considering I was thinking I could be missing this season

If BMI was the only way of saying who is overweight, then how many sports stars would be considered overweight or obese? It is not a good way to measure health really because muscle weighs more than fat which obviously has an effect on the calculation

I know I certainly wouldn't want to do a fitness test alongside a top class rugby player as even though they would likely be considered obese, I am willing to bet they are a lot healthier then me

My fitness was tested today with 36 holes of golf and I'm pleased to say it went rather well. I wasn't sore or tired at the end and my performance didn't suffer at all, if anything it got better. I'm very pleased with where my fitness is at and excited about where it is going.

It took all I had to start my HIIT session today; I don't know if I'm just starting to wear down or I'm used to resting on Sundays, but I just didn't want to do it. Got off my butt and did it, but I'm ready for this week to be over, and it's only Sunday.

What are you guys wearing for sneakers? I think we discussed it but I forgot. I have a pair of adidas sambas that feel ok but pretty squishy, and another pair of nikes that felt horrible squatting in. Thinking about grabbing a pair of specific shoes. I know chuck Ts but any other suggestions?

Right on, I only mentioned them because someone brought them up to me. I have zero experience with them haha. Those you posted look nice and aren't too expensive. I read a bunch on the raised heel being awesome for squats, you like it?
It's what I use. The raised heel helps push the knees slightly forward and engage the quads little bit more. They are not comfy pillow shoes. I find, for me, a 1/2 size smaller than normal shoes fits perfect. Really nice and stable for presses.

They, however, are not for running and jump.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back