OK, is there ANY driver made today WITHOUT black coating on the face ?!?!??!?!

inthehole

Holly Sonders Caddie
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 11.5
EVERYTHING seems to come in black today (Callaway, Titleist, Taylormade, Cobra, Cleveland, Ping ... on down the line) - black gets so scratched & dinged up, looks terrible after a few rounds. I've had them & it really bothers me ... to the point where I probably won't buy a new club that has a black treatment on the face. Nike's don't have the black, but I have a hard time looking at the cavity gimmick on a driver.

Rant over (feel better) ... but would love to know if anybody makes a new driver with a brushed silver face, thx

Nike Vapor Speed is the only thing that jumps to mind.

A raw steel face does the same thing. It gets scratched dinged and beat up as well, you just may not see it as well.

I prefer the dark face to reduce glare from the sun. I'm sure no one likes to be blinded by the sun but maybe that's just me. I think that's why we see all the darker finishes become more popular, they reduce the glare and the wear on the finish is much better.

Srixon Z 545 is a great looking driver with a silver face

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

xxio prime

knuth high heat

not sure about others

Wilson Staff D200

There's quite a few out there!

It would not take long to remove the black finish on the face with a little elbow grease and some Scotchbrite. Of course you would want to mask offf the painted areas around the crown and sole to keep them intact. If you don't feel comfortable doing it yourself I'm sure any repair shop could do it for you.

Gamed a SLDR for a while because of this. I too prefer the non-black but seems as though black is where the vast majority have gone.

Ping G drivers

Bridgestone J815 is not black. Not at all.

This one!

A great blend of Classic SLDR looks, low spin distance, and forgiveness!

Click below to see pic!

sldr c sole.jpg

Last edited:
I have spent a lot of time gaming a lot of drivers with a black face, and none of them look "terrible" after 20 rounds let alone two rounds. Sure, there are face markings, but unless you're hitting sandy golf balls, it typically rubs right off.

To each their own. I love the black face look.

This one!

A great blend of CLASSIC styling, low spin distance, and forgiveness!

Click below to see pic!

View attachment 23408

Never heard of the C sole without all the adjustments - will have to look into that ... thx !

This one!

A great blend of CLASSIC styling, low spin distance, and forgiveness!

Click below to see pic!

The love you have for the SLDR-C just amazes and amuses me

The love you have for the SLDR-C just amazes and amuses me

This 2015 "sleeper" is capable of amazing others as well!...When it comes to pure Driver performance, SIMPLICITY seems to be TM's strong suit despite all the marketing hype about adjustability features.

The SLDR-C easily replaced an excellent SLDR Tour-issue 12* 430 with a Fuji Motore Speeder Tourspec 7.3 TP shaft that had been in my bag since mid-2014.

Since TM announced the SLDR-C Driver AFTER the R15 and AeroBurner, it may very well be the LAST 100% Titanium Driver that we see from TM.

Since the OP is concerned with cosmetic aspects, I must say that I have never been a fan of TM's White clubheads, and same applies for TM's latest (2-Tone) multi-material "M" models.

I much prefer a Classic BLACK Titanium crown and, like the OP, a Classic SILVER face and soleplate.

Last edited:
Black is nice because easy to see where you hit the ball on the face, granted easy to know when you hit way off center but sometimes is nice to see exactly where.

Go back to 2014, the Big Bertha line from Callaway was not a black face.

Isn't that like saying you're the tallest short person? :alien:
Pretty much. Great club for + handicaps not so much for everyone else

Back