What is your preferred iron profile?

I personally lean towards the new "blended" type irons we are seeing. Players traits with more GI tech melded in. I'll be the first to admit I cannot stand looking down at an SGI iron, its just the way I am.

Sets like the CF16, F5, F6, etc really are ideal for me in what I like to see in my bag long term shape/size wise.

this is me to a T. I was a CB fan for a long time but what we are seeing in this player/GI look is becoming a favorite

I love an iron set that has crisp, sharp lines to it such as the ones below! I think these three are the best looking irons I have ever seen!
post-126106-0-38630700-1421251395.jpg
razr-x-muscle-back-irons.jpg
j40-cavity-back-iron-main.png

I personally lean towards the new "blended" type irons we are seeing. Players traits with more GI tech melded in. I'll be the first to admit I cannot stand looking down at an SGI iron, its just the way I am.

Sets like the CF16, F5, F6, etc really are ideal for me in what I like to see in my bag long term shape/size wise.

While I do not own a set like this yet, these do really look good to me.

Sole - Medium, not too thin but not too thick either. Beveling on the leading edge for sure.
Topline - Medium here again. I need to feel like the iron has some precision to it, not just a sledgehammer. But too thin doesn't work given my skill level.
Blade length - not overly concerned here. Progressive would be best here for me, but if my top two categories are met, then I could play about anything
Beauty - In the eye of the beholder obviously. But I wouldn't own a set of irons I considered ugly, even if I hit them well.
finish - strongly prefer satin.

Technology - I like the blended sets. At least cavity back blending to muscle back for the wedges. The newer designs with hollow or half-hollow in the longer irons is very intriguing.
Sound - I'd like to consider "sound" as part of an iron profile as well. I like to hear a solid thwack or even a higher pitched click. Anything in the lower registers, which to me is a "thud" won't work.

Ping i25 and ie1, Callaway CF16, Mizuno JPX 850 Forged, Cobra Forged TEC are irons that fit the above description in my opinion.

This does not surprise me in the least. Off-topic: We need to have you play one round with some sort of high-launching iron set. That would be entertaining - tracking hang-time records on iron shots.

I'd probably be begging for my old irons half way through the round if we did that.

I'm not sure if you remember, but on the Saturday round of that weekend you were down I tried Ryan's driver with that mid-high spin/launch shaft on one hole, and I hit that club so high it was crazy.

I like the top line to not be too "chunky" and not being able to see the tech behind the face....

However, when sitting in a bag nice graphics are always nice to look at.

I prefer the smaller compact heads. My least favorite thing to look at in an iron is if the toe of the iron seems like it's excessive. I like a thinner top-line, but it's not nearly as important to me as the length of the head.

One of my favorite heads of all time is the Titleist 990B. Often wish I would have never sold mine and also contemplate buying an older set off ebay from time to time.

This^^^^^ I could not agree more. This is the reason I went with a brand new set of 15 year old irons last fall. Perfect fit for me right now.

I've been playing the Ping G series for so long the profile has grown on me. Looking down at them and seeing what I see is not exactly my preference but the results have worked for so long I love it!

Muscle backs all the way for me, looks certainly play a role but more than anything is the distance control I am able to obtain. I'm leaning towards a players cavity but I just have t found one yet.

I love the modern blades like srixon 945 and mp5. Slightly longer heel to toe than older blades.

J15CB and those similar in looks. Match feel and performance or trying to pry them from my hands would be difficult

I really like the profile of my TP CB irons and the apex/pro irons. Not as small like a MB but not to big like SGI ones.

My personal preference is something a bit bigger, I like being able to look down at the club and know I can hit it. I mean just look at my signature, I like the large heads and thick top lines on an iron. Just makes me feel comfortable.

I don't care, as long as they are shiny. I like a smaller profile both heel to toe and along the top line.

You and I think very alike on this one. I love looking at sexy, sexy players irons, but I'm not consistent enough to game them long term. The crossover type irons give me a large portion of those sexy good looks while still bailing me out a little bit when I suck.

I'm also silly and I like forged irons for some reason. I tell myself it's because they're easier to bend.

Some of my favorites I've seen recently:
Srixon Z-Star
Mizuno JPX 850 Forged
Cobra Fly-Z+ Forged/King Forged Tec
Wilson FG Tour F5

I like the Taylormade players CB's from like '04-'08. RAC LT, r7 TP, '09 TP. I know many others who agree

I like the Taylormade players CB's from like '04-'08. RAC LT, r7 TP, '09 TP. I know many others who agree

I have an old set of r7 TP's back in Jersey with PX 5.5's, they are sweet clubs!

I don't care, as long as they are shiny. I like a smaller profile both heel to toe and along the top line.
I think you need this...
897fed5ea0be9a43dbb454933d506d13.jpg

I like a lot of what Jman said in the beginning. I like the players style irons, and really hate looking at SGI irons, and its totally a looks thing.

Back