Golf Channel Am Tour

First event of the 2015-16 season kicks off for me this weekend at a tricky local course. The new Tour Director here has really stepped up in a big way by quickly scheduling 3 events over the next 6 weeks at some solid local courses. I'll be able to play in 2 of those events but also plan to play in an event at Fox Hollow in the Tampa area soon. Really looking forward to that one in particular, as it's one of the courses that will be played in the National Championship tournament next September.

Chicago has yet another new Tour Director. Sounds like the guy who ran Milwaukee, last year, will run both Milwaukee and Chicago. Funny enough, they really cut down on the number of events, to put more emphasis on the majors and a smaller number of events (that would theoretically have more players per event). It back-fired in a big way, as folks dropped-off, and they found out it worked pretty well to have more events, balanced among the Chicago area. New director also runs the Milwaukee tour, so should be some decent opportunities for cross-over events. That's how it was before I dropped-out as well. Has me thinking about possibly trying, again, either next season, or the season after.

I'll see you at Highlands. I like what the new director for the AR tour is doing so far. I hope he sees results. I played the first KC tour event last weekend. Other than one bad hole I played great, but I ended up 5th out of nine.

I'll see you at Highlands. I like what the new director for the AR tour is doing so far. I hope he sees results. I played the first KC tour event last weekend. Other than one bad hole I played great, but I ended up 5th out of nine.

If you ever want to play a round I would love to talk to you about the AM Tour. I want to start playing some tournaments this year

Nice, Cace!! I may have to sign up, see if I can meet you at one of the national events!

Notched another win today at Fox Hollow near Tampa. Gorgeous course but the wind was brutal. Ended up going to a playoff hole and won out my flight. There seems to be a pattern of winning these events out of state. Maybe I need to travel more often! :)

Good experience though as this course will be one of the tracks played at the national championship next September. Will hopefully play better without the stinking wind gusting like crazy.

69b8f5c4f39f2f038b79518c5fa13e63.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I enjoy fox hollow, good track. Great playing bro

Nice Cace!

Who is playing Nationals? I'll be there in two weeks. Hope the weather cooperates.

Pulling this thread out of the weeds and dusting it off... I have a friend that recently joined the DFW circuit and is trying to talk me into joining. For those of you who are/were a member, what are your thoughts? I assume there are not weekly payouts -- aside from any cash game you establish on your own...? My motivation isn't to play for money, I'm just trying to understand the overall appeal of this concept...aside from access to some nice courses and competition.

Pulling this thread out of the weeds and dusting it off... I have a friend that recently joined the DFW circuit and is trying to talk me into joining. For those of you who are/were a member, what are your thoughts? I assume there are not weekly payouts -- aside from any cash game you establish on your own...? My motivation isn't to play for money, I'm just trying to understand the overall appeal of this concept...aside from access to some nice courses and competition.
These events maintain a golfer's amateur status, so there is not GCAT cash payout. Rather, the tour typically offers gift cards for event placements from one of their sponsors. Each local director may choose to run additional games on their own - ours was pretty much a hole in one pool, and raffle-type drawings.

I played for 3 seasons and enjoyed it a lot. Did get to be a touch expensive, and I was playing more there than with friends, so decided to drop the GCAT. Also, pace of play can be somewhat painful, in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

These events maintain a golfer's amateur status, so there is not GCAT cash payout. Rather, the tour typically offers gift cards for event placements from one of their sponsors. Each local director may choose to run additional games on their own - ours was pretty much a hole in one pool, and raffle-type drawings.

I played for 3 seasons and enjoyed it a lot. Did get to be a touch expensive, and I was playing more there than with friends, so decided to drop the GCAT. Also, pace of play can be somewhat painful, in my experience.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Thanks for the insight. In reference to the pace of play comment, I saw in the GCAM rules they enforce a 4.5 hour round max pace of play or a 2-stroke penalty is applied...guessing that's not reality... I have to assume the course where the tourneys are played still have public play -- especially when the fields are like 20-30 people.

I am a member and I like it. The Payouts are in Gift Cards by flight, but they also do in flight skins and what they call giant skins(full field). there is also a 50/50 raffle that benefits David Feherty's Troops First foundation. Its fun and you meet new people but they hold your feet to the fire when it comes to the rules and scoring which gives you a new perspective on the game. You may just have to jump in and give it a try.

This is something I always wanted to do, but just when I think "yeah the game is getting together" it takes a left turn and I start over. I guess you just have to trust what you have and play the right flight.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I am a member and I like it. The Payouts are in Gift Cards by flight, but they also do in flight skins and what they call giant skins(full field). there is also a 50/50 raffle that benefits David Feherty's Troops First foundation. Its fun and you meet new people but they hold your feet to the fire when it comes to the rules and scoring which gives you a new perspective on the game. You may just have to jump in and give it a try.

What flight do you compete in? Have you played recently? My buddy is in the Sarazen flight and has finished 3rd a couple times with average rounds for him (mid/upper 80's). Making $$ isn't my motivation, rather I'm intrigued by playing some new spots and just competing in general. I can't seem to get the call for a major THP event, so I look at these as an alternative -- and will force me to keep my game in form -- for when I do get the call to the 2018 Grandaddy. HA!!

The next time we're out on the course I'll ask you more about this. My buddy is a bit of a gambler, so I always have to take that into consideration with him...lol...

What flight do you compete in? Have you played recently? My buddy is in the Sarazen flight and has finished 3rd a couple times with average rounds for him (mid/upper 80's). Making $$ isn't my motivation, rather I'm intrigued by playing some new spots and just competing in general. I can't seem to get the call for a major THP event, so I look at these as an alternative -- and will force me to keep my game in form -- for when I do get the call to the 2018 Grandaddy. HA!!

The next time we're out on the course I'll ask you more about this. My buddy is a bit of a gambler, so I always have to take that into consideration with him...lol...

I am currently in the Hogan Flight, about a 10 handicap, I won my flight in the last event I played on on August 7 at Stonebriar CC Fazio course with a score of 80.

My wife gave me the green light on joining this year. I will probably join after the beginning of the year once it starts to get warmer.

Also, pace of play can be somewhat painful, in my experience.

All tourney golf is slow.

I'm in the Champ flight and usually go off in the first few groups. Playing times aren't to terrible in that situation. I have been the last group out a few times. 5:30+ hour rounds.

Thanks for the insight. In reference to the pace of play comment, I saw in the GCAM rules they enforce a 4.5 hour round max pace of play or a 2-stroke penalty is applied...guessing that's not reality... I have to assume the course where the tourneys are played still have public play -- especially when the fields are like 20-30 people.

The 4:30 round is true. Big thing is you have to finish within 14 minutes of the group ahead of you.

My tour does Skins, Super Skins and closest to the pin.

My wife gave me the green light on joining this year. I will probably join after the beginning of the year once it starts to get warmer.

I would sign up during the off season when you aren't spending as much money on playing. If you sign up on Dec 1st 2017 you renew on Dec 1st 2018.

The whole back half of this season I considered some competitions to see if my game is solid (or composed of rotten slop). Seeing this thread pop up has me intrigued. I guess I will do a little reading about it on this golf-less cold and windy weekend in PA.

Back