How Often Do You Change Shafts?

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Is it merely with a new club? Are you always testing? Are you a numbers chaser looking for the holy grail? Let us know.

Is it merely with a new club? Are you always testing? Are you a numbers chaser looking for the holy grail? Let us know.

I have played the DG S300 for my entire golf life and am currently trying the KBS tours again, I generally don't tamper with what works but I'm experimenting to find the right blend of feel, launch, and control. If these prove to be as good as they are right now I'll game them to the end of my golf life.

When I am fit to something better, but it never hurts to tinker in between though.

I don't switch unless I buy used and want to change the shaft for what I'm more used to.

Currently going back and forth between 2 shafts in my driver. But without numbers its kinda just all based on what I see right now.

Irons... I have never changed the shaft in a set of irons.

I've been playing around with shafts in my drivers for the past couple of years. Haven't found a combo I liked until my current setup and will stick with it for a while now.

Sent from my Nexus 9 using Tapatalk

Depends solely on my desire to tinker, which seems to have it's own ebb & flow. Generally settle on what works during golf season, but adjustable drivers have made shaft tinkering so easy.

Most of the time it's with a new club, but if a shaft gets a lot of buzz, I'll try to find a friend with one and throw it in and see if I notice any differences. Don't have a LM close enough by to really get any solid data, so it's normally the eye test.

I'm a tinkerer. More than once I have gone with the stock shaft, had success then started wondering if it could be better.

Not as often as I used to.

But when I move to a new head, I'm much more likely to look at the different offerings as I know that just because I like a shaft in one head does not at all mean it will be the best fit in another.

I have a couple that I switch in and out. For the moment I have sort of stopped looking at shafts as I am more concerned with swinging better. I have a black tie in x and even that with a low spin head doesn't bring my launch/spin down enough the problem is definitely me.

I used to stick to the good old DG S300s but when I got a set of Mizzie MP-33s I had Hump shafts fitted. Same ones as VJ and Furyk used to use. They were great. Then changed to Ping i20s and went with the stock CFS Stiff. Ok, but not worlds best.

Then earlier this year I was offered the chance to try some new Nippon prototype shafts (Modus 125) and I had a set of Taylormade TP MB Tour heads put on them so that I could go back to blades. These shafts are awesome. They are essentially the new more modern take on the way that the Hump shafts work, but mu god, they give such a great penetrating flight.

Basically in answer to your question, I only tend to change iron shafts when I change clubs. Driver shafts on the otherhand are a whole different story. I am always tinkering with those, but they dont stay in the bag unless the dont misbehave.

With irons/wedges - never have
With woods - I changed to X flex in driver and 3 wood.

Never been fit for anything though

I know what works for me and tend to stick with that. Only recent shaft change happened on hybrids when switching to a shaft from stock to something I knew fit me well.

i did a lot this year. when i was trying to decide between the r1 and xtd, i tried 7 different shafts this year. then i bought the fly-z, and since then i've tried 4 different shafts. for me, shafts are really fun in driver. but i haven't changed shafts in any other club this year.

i do it in driver because i'm searching for more carry, and tighter dispersion because that gives me the best chance to post low numbers.

I dont change to much, usually buy a club if i dont like the way the stock shaft feels I will try a few different one sand when I find one i like and is giving me the flight I want I stick with it.

Only when testing new clubs. Once I'm set, there is no reason to change.

Only when I change clubs.

Never in irons or fairways. I get what I want when I buy them. Since I finally joined the world of adjustable drivers about 2 years ago and became active on THP shortly before that, i do experiment quite a bit with different driver shafts.

With most clubs, it's only when I get fit or order a new set. It has been more often for me with the driver, but mostly because I struggled with it for so long. But I was trying to buy improvement in my driver ball flight, and was unsuccessful.

Back