Your take on equipment leaks....

ddec

I have many leather-bound books
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
The Driver
Was thinking about this more on the electronics side of things as I often visit sites prior to a big smartphone reveal to see some images and get the latest rumors about a device. Heck we've seen some videos just this year from guys like MKBHD about rumored devices which are based on such leaks. But that's the electronics world, what about the golf space? This morning a company leaked their own "next big thing" and then took it down relatively quickly. It was cool for a few minutes and folks got to see some stuff if they chose to. My question is, are you a person who likes to find an equipment leak or details on something yet to be released to the public eye? Do you check out the USGA list to see if something new hits that you are searching for? Or are you the type of person who would rather sit and wait for the official release with more information to come.

I always check out the list.

While I respect embargos, IMO, when they put it out there, even on a slip, its fair game. Love early info, it makes release season fun.

• Staff

While I respect embargos, IMO, when they put it out there, even on a slip, its fair game. Love early info, it makes release season fun.

and for that company today, it might have helped create some buzz, something they have been lacking in even though we know they have had some crazy good equipment in recent years. It's just so interesting to me the differences in the two areas. Heck look at all the leaks from Samsung and Apple about their big devices, and you know the embargo on those are just as crazy.

I'm with James on this. A quick peek a little early definitely helps generate interest for upcoming releases.

I'm kinda 50/50 on it. It can either bring a ton of buzz or it can wreck the product, especially in the B&W photos. Sometimes it can actually turn me off from the product if it was something I could have been interested in, or keep me from making a purchase now when I know what's coming down the pipeline.

I will put out there that I was the one who posted about the leaked info...

I completely respect NDS and embargoes and I would never post stuff from a sketchy source or blurry camera phone picture but when I saw the info pop up on the manufacturer's website, I thought it was fair game. I made sure that if I wrote about anything new on this pre-released equipment, it was purely my opinion or facts from the information that was there at the time.

I really hope I didn't hurt the relationship between THP and this golf equipment manufacture...
I am honestly super excited about what they are bringing to this new year and I apologize for posting something about before it should have been posted.

My take as well

I am always on the hunt for leaks or spy shots. I love seeing that kind of stuff before a club is released. It can either build hype or lose steam in some cases.

I completely respect NDS and embargoes and I would never post stuff from a sketchy source or blurry camera phone picture but when I saw the info pop up on the manufacturer's website, I thought it was fair game. I made sure that if I wrote about anything new on this pre-released equipment, it was purely my opinion or facts from the information that was there at the time.

I really hope I didn't hurt the relationship between THP and this golf equipment manufacture...
I am honestly super excited about what they are bringing to this new year and I apologize for posting something about before it should have been posted.

Definitely not. You did nothing wrong at all.

I love the buzz. Leaks create buzz and buzz sells product. I'm sure the OEM's love it as well!

you didn't do anything wrong here. But it made me think a bit because it's something I look for more on the electronic side of things.

Sometimes I wonder if the "leak" isn't actually intended. As is mentioned above, buzz generally is a good thing. Sounds like from JB's other post this wasn't actually intended today, but I always wonder.

For me- it's always nice to see the new shiny toys, however it's not something I'll go and seek out.

I love it as it makes me think about new possibilities. Tech info is just plain fun!!

I have to admit, I'm a guy that like to know what it looks like before it hits the showroom. Kind of agree with Jman on this. The only negative on this would be the technology, features and benefits involved would not be presented.

i'm pretty indifferent. for something like an iphone, they're not really in danger of attention and excitement waning. but in the golf club space we can get excited, but a release date that is seemingly eons away can make the buzz fizzle quickly. tease is good, but i don't like it being ages away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

you didn't do anything wrong here. But it made me think a bit because it's something I look for more on the electronic side of things.

Yeah, I am the same way with electronics but I also enjoy finding out new information on golf equipment before its unveiled.

I agree with some of you guys here about creating the buzz early. I like the leaked photos and info that can sometimes be found if you want to look for it.

and for that company today, it might have helped create some buzz, something they have been lacking in even though we know they have had some crazy good equipment in recent years. It's just so interesting to me the differences in the two areas. Heck look at all the leaks from Samsung and Apple about their big devices, and you know the embargo on those are just as crazy.

They can use all the buzz they can get. We (consumers) need them to get that so people start paying more attention.

The only drawback I can see is it possibly hurts retailers trying to sell current line, depending on when the actual release date is. I can see 1 month being no big deal but let's say the leaked product isnt coming out for 3-4 months. I have to assume this kills a lot of selling opportunities to clear the older line unless of course you are a bargain hunter.

I'm not usually one who will seek out pre-release information, but if it's out I will always look. It's fun seeing pre release information and i'm sure the buzz created for the OEM's cant hurt.

I'm always up for seeing something before we're really supposed to. I respect a company's right to set embargoes and NDAs, and would never personally violate those, but I'm just too curious not to look when someone else does.

I always love seeing new gear and always get real excited for new releases, but i find the "leaked photo warrior" to be annoying i guess. Kinda like the "1st comment" guy on social media posts.

Unless I signed something saying otherwise, I don't really care. I won't perpetuate it or post about it personally, but I won't care that it's out there and will view it if I can find it.

I don't seek them out. If I run across one cool bit it's no big deal to me.

Back