Moody Gardens Galveston

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
Well here goes the first course review, hopefully of many for me.

Moody Gardens in Galveston, Texas is a respectable par 72 boasting 3 par 3s and 3 par 5s on the front side. The back is set up normally as it would be on any other course (2 par 3s and 2 par 5s). While the set up is nice and gives many advantages and opportunities to score, the course is by no means easy. Like many courses which receive large amounts of rain fairly regularly, the grass is sand based to allow for quicker drainage. This meant that the ball was not exploding on impact with the turf on tee shots. Most seemed to hit bounce once or twice and stop. The greens were extremely soft today as well.

The par 5s on the front are not overly difficult. They are score-able. To make up for this, the par 3s play more difficult. Most of not all are over water. One of them plays a daunting 216 yards from the tips (orange tees). This isn’t a big deal for some people but I have an awkward gap between my 3 wood and 4 iron.

The 18th hole is a bit gimmicky. It goes out straight for 250ish yards and takes a 90° turn left to the green. Not a fan.

The greens were soft like I mentioned above. They rolled okay. Must not have been cut or rolled today because they were SHAGGY. No big deal, just slower than I’m used to. The good thing about them is that they were all rolling at the same speed. Some were bumpy but it’s to be expected at a municipal course. Many pitchmarks (I think I wore out my divot tool fixing them).

Outside agencies are the real factor that make this course difficult. Most of the day was playing into a prevailing face wind or wind off the left. If you’re a right handed draw player, then this straightens each shot out. If you’re a right handed fade player, you best aim WAY out to the left. I got myself in some trouble on a few holes. The tides, believe it or not, play into the room to miss on a few of the holes as well. When the tide is in, it takes a few yards away. When our it leaves some casual water on the edges of each hole.

All in all, I would recommend it to the golfer who wants a challenge and is willing to lose a few balls in the abundance of water on the course. Staff was friendly. Grill was slightly steep price wise but food was good.

Hopefully this helps or is formatted correctly.

Cheers,

Cam

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
Moody Gardens Galveston

Good write up. Thanks.

First course I ever played. Thanks for the review.

Solid Cam. I knew that wind would be brutal at times.

Has anyone played this recently? I will be in Galveston for the Navy next week and was thinking of playing this course on Wednesday, the 10th?

Has anyone played this recently? I will be in Galveston for the Navy next week and was thinking of playing this course on Wednesday, the 10th?
Been a few years but it’s a decent course. I’d play it again if I’m ever in the area again.

Its a good course and probably the best the island has to offer, When the wind is up, be ready for a test. It's a fun track for that type of golf but no way I could make it my every week course.

Its a good course and probably the best the island has to offer, When the wind is up, be ready for a test. It's a fun track for that type of golf but no way I could make it my every week course.
Thanks. If I don't play there, I will probably hit up Tin Cup pretty much every night I am there. Trying to not take breaks with only 4 and a half weeks before Bally. Hate flying with my clubs this close to the event but should be ok.

Moody is a pretty great course and should be in really good shape. And there are almost always tee times readily available.

Also, if you have a bit of time to kill, The Wilderness at Lake Jackson is also an awesome course, but it's about 50 minutes away. Still, the drive from Galveston to Lake Jackson is nice.

Moody is a pretty great course and should be in really good shape. And there are almost always tee times readily available.

Also, if you have a bit of time to kill, The Wilderness at Lake Jackson is also an awesome course, but it's about 50 minutes away. Still, the drive from Galveston to Lake Jackson is nice.
Thanks. I will be driving down from Houston as I fly into IAH, so will need to be in area shortly after I land at 8:50am. Wouldn't mind driving the 50 miles, but if my command calls, I have to be readily available haha.

Back