Pulling the trigger after fitting?

uobradbury

Reaction score
Handicap
Ive been reading a lot about folks who got a fitting done for irons/drivers and after having my clubs stolen figured id join the club for my next set. I walked in to Golfmart and did an hour fitting on a myriad of Mizuno combinations and overall had a great experience but have a weird feeling about where we landed on club selection when I was done.. was hoping to explain to you guys and maybe get some clarity on how I should proceed

I feel comfortable with the shaft selection, KBS Tour X, which was the initial recommendation from the swing analysis tool used at the start. At the end we looked at the numbers and the fitter told me he wanted to try one last combo to see if we could find the best fit to reduce side spin / best launch etc. He setup the KBS Tour X shaft on a FLI HI 6 iron head and just thinking it was a set I didnt know about I hit it solidly and did indeed have my best stats over 5+ balls.

After getting home I took a look at the Mizuno site and realized the FLI HI irons are only 3-6.. assuming to be used as strong driving irons (something I'm not opposed to / matches my playstyle well). Is this a typical pattern that I'm not familiar with (only playing 2 different sets of irons in my adult life, both given from dad/golf coach)? If it is common would I normally just fill out my low irons with other MMCs? Im assuming Mizuno / other makers would require me to buy a full 4-PW set but Im completely naive on the subject.

Thank you guys for the help / advice

Previous Irons: Unknown MacGregor blades followed by old MP-? Mizuno irons

Combo sets are not something new or unique. Mizuno mp18 line is designed to allow a smooth transition in the irons for combo sets. If you bough the fli hi 3-6 you could fill out 7-p or whatever you want with just the irons you want. Mizuno like most golf companies sell single irons so,you can buy as many or as few irons as you want

Ive been reading a lot about folks who got a fitting done for irons/drivers and after having my clubs stolen figured id join the club for my next set. I walked in to Golfmart and did an hour fitting on a myriad of Mizuno combinations and overall had a great experience but have a weird feeling about where we landed on club selection when I was done.. was hoping to explain to you guys and maybe get some clarity on how I should proceed

I feel comfortable with the shaft selection, KBS Tour X, which was the initial recommendation from the swing analysis tool used at the start. At the end we looked at the numbers and the fitter told me he wanted to try one last combo to see if we could find the best fit to reduce side spin / best launch etc. He setup the KBS Tour X shaft on a FLI HI 6 iron head and just thinking it was a set I didnt know about I hit it solidly and did indeed have my best stats over 5+ balls.

After getting home I took a look at the Mizuno site and realized the FLI HI irons are only 3-6.. assuming to be used as strong driving irons (something I'm not opposed to / matches my playstyle well). Is this a typical pattern that I'm not familiar with (only playing 2 different sets of irons in my adult life, both given from dad/golf coach)? If it is common would I normally just fill out my low irons with other MMCs? Im assuming Mizuno / other makers would require me to buy a full 4-PW set but Im completely naive on the subject.

Thank you guys for the help / advice

Previous Irons: Unknown MacGregor blades followed by old MP-? Mizuno irons

Sets like you describe are quite common and manufacturers are moving toward providing high launching long iron replacements that can compliment their iron set offerings. Hybrids were developed to fill that role however some players don't like the look or just don't get along with hybrids, but still need/want help in the long irons. Products like the Fli-Hi fill that need for those players.

Back