Has anyone ever taken the PAT?

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
Hey y’all. My playing ability test is at the end of this month. Anyone ever take it? Advice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I thought you meant the PAT after a touchdown so obviously I'm zero help here.

Yes! Twice. Once about a lifetime ago when I was drinking buddies with the head pro of the local CC and he encouraged me to do it so that I could become an indentured servant for the golf season (his sponsored Asst Pro-he was a great salesman, but the 105 hour work weeks got the best of me). I just showed up to it with no expectations but I was pretty consistent in the low to mid 70's then, no nerves, and played per usual. My FC's were not very good and probably felt they had more on the line than me. They both failed (went out in 3's, at least for my group.

Played in one for shins and griggles earlier this summer. For some reason I was more nervous on the first tee this time even though I had zero riding on it. I'm also not as consistent now as I was back then. I can go lower since I now know how to score, but can go higher since I now know how to score, lol! I didn't sign up for this one until the last minute as I was looking at it as a chance to play 36 holes in tournament conditions for a decent price, not to revive my already dead golf career. I was paired with a guy that will probably never pass it, and I feel for him since this is his passion and his career choice. He's just not very good at golf itself.

Advice: that will depend on what you are in it for. If to make this a career, relax and play your game. The relax part will be tough but you can do it! It's generally set up at fairly easy courses and believe it or not is set up for you to succeed. I'd have to see the course set up and ratings to know for sure but generally to pass overall you'll need to play 1/2 bogey / half par golf. To get your "I can continue to work on this" pass (takes only one of the 2 rounds in mostly bogey golf for this) its considerably easier.

The biggest advice I can give, just tee it up and play. If your career is riding on it and you are borderline to pass, it'll be a big moment. If that's the case, just play golf. Boiled down the game is simple. Get the ball in the hole as quick as possible. Do that, forget about the noise, and you'll be fine.

Yes, I took it passed and had a great run as a teaching pro. I can only assume you’re getting into the program and becoming an assistant pro.

You’ll be getting 14 shots over the rating of the course/tees you play. The course could be par 73 with a low rating of 70. You target number will then be 140 plus 14 or 154 for 36 holes. This means you have 5 shots per 18 to play with.

Can you pull a 77 at will? If yes, then you have zero to worry about. If not, then play hard. It’s a big deal and needed if you’re going to become a PGA class pro. If you haven’t played tournament golf prior to this, you will be nervous. The sooner you get those nerves under control the better you’ll play. Take one shot at a time and try to have fun.

Hey y’all. My playing ability test is at the end of this month. Anyone ever take it? Advice?

Good luck and take one shot and one hole at a time.

Keep the ball in play, no need to take chances.

Yes! Twice. Once about a lifetime ago when I was drinking buddies with the head pro of the local CC and he encouraged me to do it so that I could become an indentured servant for the golf season (his sponsored Asst Pro-he was a great salesman, but the 105 hour work weeks got the best of me). I just showed up to it with no expectations but I was pretty consistent in the low to mid 70's then, no nerves, and played per usual. My FC's were not very good and probably felt they had more on the line than me. They both failed (went out in 3's, at least for my group.

Played in one for shins and griggles earlier this summer. For some reason I was more nervous on the first tee this time even though I had zero riding on it. I'm also not as consistent now as I was back then. I can go lower since I now know how to score, but can go higher since I now know how to score, lol! I didn't sign up for this one until the last minute as I was looking at it as a chance to play 36 holes in tournament conditions for a decent price, not to revive my already dead golf career. I was paired with a guy that will probably never pass it, and I feel for him since this is his passion and his career choice. He's just not very good at golf itself.

Advice: that will depend on what you are in it for. If to make this a career, relax and play your game. The relax part will be tough but you can do it! It's generally set up at fairly easy courses and believe it or not is set up for you to succeed. I'd have to see the course set up and ratings to know for sure but generally to pass overall you'll need to play 1/2 bogey / half par golf. To get your "I can continue to work on this" pass (takes only one of the 2 rounds in mostly bogey golf for this) its considerably easier.

The biggest advice I can give, just tee it up and play. If your career is riding on it and you are borderline to pass, it'll be a big moment. If that's the case, just play golf. Boiled down the game is simple. Get the ball in the hole as quick as possible. Do that, forget about the noise, and you'll be fine.

Can’t figure out how to multiquote so this will serve as a reply to two of you:

64ed893db68b399f1791595331a7c1c2.jpg
79d11cc3212ae099b0187090b6500398.jpg

I’ve been thru one as a caddie. My father took his at 53 years old and passed... on his fourth try. I know how grueling it is. I’m fairly confident I’m tee to green solid. Only thing that could throw in a wrinkle would be the speed of the greens and where the pins are cut. My practice round is October 16th with the other assistant pro who went to SHSU and passed his there.

Yes, I took it passed and had a great run as a teaching pro. I can only assume you’re getting into the program and becoming an assistant pro.

You’ll be getting 14 shots over the rating of the course/tees you play. The course could be par 73 with a low rating of 70. You target number will then be 140 plus 14 or 154 for 36 holes. This means you have 5 shots per 18 to play with.

Can you pull a 77 at will? If yes, then you have zero to worry about. If not, then play hard. It’s a big deal and needed if you’re going to become a PGA class pro. If you haven’t played tournament golf prior to this, you will be nervous. The sooner you get those nerves under control the better you’ll play. Take one shot at a time and try to have fun.

It’s looking like my number is 160 or 161 depending on where the tees are set. I mean I played like crap yesterday in really tough conditions and ended up with an 80. So I’m really confident but I know I’ll have the shakes when I step up into that atmosphere

It’s looking like my number is 160 or 161 depending on where the tees are set. I mean I played like crap yesterday in really tough conditions and ended up with an 80. So I’m really confident but I know I’ll have the shakes when I step up into that atmosphere

What course are playing? A course rate of 78 is quite high for a PaT

What course are playing? A course rate of 78 is quite high for a PaT

Did my math wrong... it’s 155, so 77,78

Did my math wrong... it’s 155, so 77,78

My advise to you is not to shoot at a number. Because the minute you get close or not bet that number during your round, you’ll start making bad decisions.

The end game here is to pass the PAT not shoot a number. You have 36 holes to accomplish your goal. It all starts with the first fairway, then the first green, then the first putt. Only concentrate on what you can control and that is the here and now. At the end of a very mentally exhausting day, you’ll add up all those strokes and you will have either passed or not.

If you feel you’re ready, truly ready, then you game will do the work. If not, you can take the test another day. But make no mistake, this isn’t a get lucky kind of day. You can’t hope everything comes together and you play lights out. Your game has to be there because there are factors that will come into play during your round that you haven’t dealt with before. Try to take deep breaths to get yourself centered and balanced. Best of luck and expect slow rounds.

My advise to you is not to shoot at a number. Because the minute you get close or not bet that number during your round, you’ll start making bad decisions.

The end game here is to pass the PAT not shoot a number. You have 36 holes to accomplish your goal. It all starts with the first fairway, then the first green, then the first putt. Only concentrate on what you can control and that is the here and now. At the end of a very mentally exhausting day, you’ll add up all those strokes and you will have either passed or not.

If you feel you’re ready, truly ready, then you game will do the work. If not, you can take the test another day. But make no mistake, this isn’t a get lucky kind of day. You can’t hope everything comes together and you play lights out. Your game has to be there because there are factors that will come into play during your round that you haven’t dealt with before. Try to take deep breaths to get yourself centered and balanced. Best of luck and expect slow rounds.

Figure it’s going to be comparable to my first college tournament. That’s one thing that’s going to mess with me. Slow play

Just play your game and don’t think of a number like panda said. It’s going to be slow, you will be out there all day. Bring snacks and hope you get paired up with some nice guys. Don’t try to be a hero, just manage the course well and have a good time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just play your game and don’t think of a number like panda said. It’s going to be slow, you will be out there all day. Bring snacks and hope you get paired up with some nice guys. Don’t try to be a hero, just manage the course well and have a good time.

Hopefully I’m not paired with stiffs. With my luck I will be. The guy who was paired up with my dad was a real life Napoleon dynamite

1e84b3847b6d9acf08a4cff13e3bf5b6.jpg

An awesome dancer?

An awesome dancer?

That and he looked like him and talked like him

Hopefully I’m not paired with stiffs. With my luck I will be. The guy who was paired up with my dad was a real life Napoleon dynamite

1e84b3847b6d9acf08a4cff13e3bf5b6.jpg

The last one I took I got paired with a snobby Alabama fan. Was a real long day.

Back