PING i Irons: THP Review Thread

Hit the 7i yesterday on grass, head to head with my X-Forged. Had the Nippon in S in the iE1 and my PXi 6.0 in my XF's. Not sure if it's a shaft thing, or if it's part of PINGS trajectory tuning, but I was hitting my XF 7i noticeably higher than the iE1. iE1 was a little longer. Maybe a few yards. But noticeably lower flight. I will say that on slight misses, the PING was landing only a couple yards short of where the XF was landing on solid strikes. Not a lot of punishment in this club head. I wouldn't say it's a lot better than the i20, forgiveness wise. But definitely no worse. And in a smaller head!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many of you that are getting fit for the E1's are getting Blue Dot ? Is it a different lie angle than your previous sets of irons ?

How many of you that are getting fit for the E1's are getting Blue Dot ? Is it a different lie angle than your previous sets of irons ?

I was fit into red which is the same as my i20s

Picked up a set 4-u dg s300 blue dot.....nice when what fits me is what's in stock lol. Whacked a big bucket on the way home today and really liked what I saw. 4 iron goes sky high :act-up: Was considering the cfs but stuck with the usual s300 thinking these should launch higher than previous clubs with same shaft. Tough to get true distance at the range with the crappy range balls but these seem to be half to a full club longer than my previous 710mb (that were bent 2* strong)

Iron play really fell apart for me lately due to a lack of time to play or hit range....should be alot better now since these seem plenty forgiv
Ing

Hit the 7i again tonight. 15 balls at the 175 flagstick. Hit em' low and hit em' high, super easy to flight. Not as easy to move right or left as my X-Forged, but I almost never find myself trying to hit anything but straight on a golf course, anyways. This iron just seems to love putting the ball in the same spot every time. A few leaked right on me a bit, but that's what happens when you're playing a club that's too flat for you. Regardless, I'm impressed.
I agree with Jman when talking about feel and sound with these. They don't give you that crisp click or a solid thwack (if this makes sense), just a very dense and pleasing thump when you strike center. I love that feeling. I prefer that feeling of a heavy and powerful center strike to those that almost feel "absent" when you strike center. It's more reassuring to me, personally.
I really need to get my hands on a 4i to see what it brings to the table, in person.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Solid first round this morning with these irons today. Seemed to calm my draw/hook I usually play with irons as I missed a few greens to the right today...nothing some more time with them and adjusting won't fix. I used the 4 iron alot off the tee today and was seeing around 220 which is pretty solid.

Defiantly happy so far. Really Suprise at how good these feel.

Gave these a bunch of swings today with the CFS steel. Liked them, but not as much as I would have hoped. Another shaft may change that, but I'm not as sold on them as I once was.

Give 'em hell!

I have now hit the new "i" iron a couple of times and I am pretty impressed. I am an old school PING guy and for some reasons I like the PING traditional look of "no ferrule" and so as I am getting back into the game I thought about the G30 irons but wanted a little less bounce and top line so I scored a very nice set of PING i15 irons (3-UW) but they had graphite (reg) shafts in them. A little too light for my taste so I been wokring with my buddy at GS and been hitting various shafts in the new "i" head as I cannot find them in an i15 head. We decided this weekend on the CFS Distance (regular) that best fits my swing. Yellow dot +1/4 in. So off to PING they went to get all the work done along with installing the same shafts in my PING Eye 2 SW and 1 iron. Yeah I love hitting long irons. But all of this to say that if I had not decided to go old school I would seriosuly be considering these. I owned and played i20 and i25 irons and something about these just appeals to me more than those irons. I think these are going to be very popular for PING.

Mine came last week, but I don't dare hit them or put them in the bag until our League Match Play Playoffs are over! I'll play the S55's until I get beat, then, bust out the Ei1's....Can't hardly stand it...

Curiosity got the best of me tonight. I decided to take them out to the range and test drive them. No one was on the first tee, so I thought WTH, lets give them a whirl. To say I'm impressed is an understatement. Brand new clubs, first nine holes: 3 UNDER! Never missed a green on the front and distance control was phenomenal.

Hole 1: 7 iron 150 into a brisk wind - Pin high left 12 feet - Missed putt.
Hole 2: PW from 115 to Pin high right 15 feet - Missed putt.
Hole 3: Par 5 - Good drive, purposely hit 4 iron second shot layup perfect 200 yards. 50 degree W from 87 yards to 8 feet left pin high. Missed Putt.
Hole 4: PW from 118 just passed pin 6 feet - BIRDIE
Hole 5: 175 Par 3 Pin protected by sand. Drew a 5 iron to 11 feet right of pin...BIRDIE
Hole 6: Wayward Drive right - 165 6 iron 10 feet short - Missed putt.
Hole 7: 6 Iron from 166 hit pin high goes 15 feet past - Missed putt.
Hole 8: 185 into wind Par 3 - 4 iron to 7 feet left of stick - MISSED PUTT
Hole 9: Par 5...After driver, 3W hit 50 degree Glide to 3 feet - BIRDIE

The back 9 was more "ho hum" with 7 pars and 2 bogies. I'll spare the details but I missed three greens on the back, but two of those were long par 4's into the wind with 200 yard plus hybrids for approaches. The lone green these irons missed all night was a 135 yard 9 iron that I just hit "funny"...it ended up a little short and right but I chipped it up for a tap in par. So, first round with new set of clubs -1 71, best round of the year!

Guess what I will be using for my quarterfinal match play match next week?

I'm probably a half club longer with these vs. my "strong" S55's, but the distance control was like nothing I've seen before. If I could've made a few 10 footers, I would've had the round of a lifetime.

These are quite a bit larger in appearance to the S55's but overall a really nice size and shape. The turf interaction was also much different than I'm used to, but I LOVED it. The 4 iron was a JOY to hit. Everytime I hit it, it was perfect. The Glide Wedges are a perfect match for these irons. WOW.

also...

also...

As a side note: I've been struggling lately with my SF Tec G30 Driver, so I went to the closet and dug out my old G2 with the green NV Adila Shaft and was not only hitting the ball straighter than I have in a long time, but was out driving my three previous drivers by 20 yards! The thing sounded "dead" but the ball appeared to be shooting off the face right down the middle of the fairway! Who needs all this new technology? :banghead:

Last edited:
Jman, the Pings kick out your XR Pros?!

For me personally its back and forth, but, either way I am keeping them both and rotating them in. XRP need a reshaft, then it will be reassessed.

These are solid, I've enjoyed them a lot. The review should be going up next week, it was an enjoyable one to do.

James, broken record, phenomenal review.

I really really want these. The i20's are my favorite irons to date and I feel like the i25's were just a slight improvement. However, with this type of improvement, I'd be shocked if these are not in my bag in the near future. Really like reading about ball speed and miss when you hit it low on the face. Seems to be a miss for myself, so that was music to my ears.

James, broken record, phenomenal review.

I really really want these. The i20's are my favorite irons to date and I feel like the i25's were just a slight improvement. However, with this type of improvement, I'd be shocked if these are not in my bag in the near future. Really like reading about ball speed and miss when you hit it low on the face. Seems to be a miss for myself, so that was music to my ears.

Thank you, I really appreciate you taking the time to read it!

Definitely an improvement, I think we see PING move to 431 stainless much much much more.

Just read the review. Great work as usual James! These will be hit, I'm just putting it off because I'm afraid that I'll like them too much.

Thanks for the review James. Great work as usual.

Admittedly previous I -Series Ping irons have not really attracted me (always felt they were a players iron), but after reading the changes made with the technology and design of this club I need to hit these.

If they have managed to pack forgiveness and ball speed retention off center that could potentially be great for all the players who don't hit the center often. As usual Ping has designed a great looking iron packed with playability.

Thanks for the review James. Great work as usual.

Admittedly previous I -Series Ping irons have not really attracted me (always felt they were a players iron), but after reading the changes made with the technology and design of this club I need to hit these.

If they have managed to pack forgiveness and ball speed retention off center that could potentially be great for all the players who don't hit the center often. As usual Ping has designed a great looking iron packed with playability.

These are def slimmer than the last i-Series releases. Definitely always more of a game enhancement line than a players iron, the S though are fo' sho' a players iron.

Solid review, James. Wow, they really have improved on the i25s in nearly every way. Impressive.

Solid review, James. Wow, they really have improved on the i25s in nearly every way. Impressive.
Thank you Frank! I'm pretty proud of this one, lots of tech and performance to discuss.

Nice review, James.

I'm surprised that they were able to keep the irons so svelte while beefing them up with tech. That is defintely not your 'chunky' ping distance iron sole. Very intrigued to see how you like them.

The first time I have ever been interested in trying some Ping irons.

Will the 431 stainless be able to be sent back to Ping for refinishing? I know the 17-4 irons can.

Back