Is your golf game maxed out based on your ability?

The_Dude

#TeamNE #Team Green #Hype
Reaction score
Handicap
#bigbutts
I'm almost 48 years old, play 4-5 times a month and I'm currently at 14.8 cap. Practice consists of some shipping/putting and hitting a small bucket before a round if time allows. I typically shoot 85-92. I can show flashes of good golf shooting 40 7 times past 2 years but also have shot in the low 50's several times. Don't have the desire or time to get into a steady lesson/practice regimen. Based on these factors I'd say I'm about maxed out. Tell me about your golf game THP'ers.

i don't think i have peaked. if i could practice more i could tidy up my short game and save a few more strokes. right now i'm just below a 6, and i think with some more time and effort i could get down to a 2-3. my game will always have its issues but i do think the potential for better and more consistent golf is there.

I don't believe I am anywhere closed to maxed out honestly. Only been taking the game seriously for a couple of years and I have progressed every season so far. Physical abilities I believe I could be very low, but we'll see what time/life allows over the next few years.

Max-out is to be at Jordan Spieth's level. So the answer is no. Yes, I will not max-out in this lifetime......

I dont think so, but i do think my game is maxed out based on how much i can play and practice

Max-out is to be at Jordan Spieth's level. So the answer is no. Yes, I will not max-out in this lifetime......

Honestly, its higher than that. Maxed out is Tiger in the early 2000's. No one has even come close to that since

I would hope not, but, since I've been scoring about the same for the past 20 years.....I might be.

No definitely not. When I can play more than twice a week on a consistent basis my scores improve

Not even close, and at my current commitment level, I won't get there either.

yep, i expect no better. i don't practice much, rely on friends, thp, or youtube for tips/lessons, and have the muscle memory of jelly. i will live and die shooting between 80 and 90

I dont think so, but i do think my game is maxed out based on how much i can play and practice

Similar answer for me. My handicap is probably already lower than the charts would assume based on the distance I hit the ball, but I still think I could get a fair amount better with some really dedicated practice. The reality is that I already spend about as much time on golf as I'm going to be able to for the foreseeable future, so I might improve a little bit, but I doubt that it's going to be a lot.

Assuming I can hold off father time for a little while longer, I certainly would hope that I'll improve once I'm retired and playing 3-5 times per week during the golf season. The biggest improvement should come from sharpening my short game, if it were back to my 1980's level, I could maybe get down to a +3. A more realistic goal would be to maintain my current index for another 10-15 years.

That being said, I consider myself damn fortunate to have kept my index in the low single digits or better during last 20 years of being a parent of three, coach, and husband to a wife that works full time and travels 100+ days a year. From 1997 through 2014 I never had more than 45 rounds in any year and only averaged about 20-25 rounds per year with very limited practice. 10 or more of those rounds were played in a 2 week period during our vacations.

Probably not but for the work that I am willing and able to put in I probably am maxed out.

Exactly this. Family and work won't allow me to put in the time to hit my maximum level, and that's alright.

i don't think it's maxed on my [deity of choice]-given ability.

but i do think it's maxed on the amount of time i'm willing and able to commit to improving.

I think I am maxed out with my current mindset, if that makes any sense.

I am not a fan of practicing, so I think that I am about as good as I can get without practicing on the regular.

I don't play or practice enough and with the physical aliments starting to pile up, my best years are behind me. The one shining moment still is vivid in my mind and occurred 15 years about last month (par round of 72, Tierra Rejada is Simi Valley) Now, the only way I shoot 72 is to stop after 14 holes... sucks to get old I guess!

Not really sure. I'm confident I can be a better golfer, provided I put in the time and practice. However, like many already commented, I simply don't have the time to devote to it at this point in my life. Down the road, who knows ...

The only thing stopping me from getting better is me and putting the work in. Had a great year this year and if time allows next year will be better.

Good question and one I've asked myself just recently.

I got down to a 2 handicap earlier this year. Didn't practice much full shots but did chip and putt every day. I'm self taught and my "miss" on the course is questioning myself about technique and shot decision (head games)

I know I can get down to scratch if I had a good coach and I practiced with purpose. As those two things likely won't happen (time, money) I'm relegated being a 5 handicap until I get bored and just stop playing.

I do have a golf fund I've been putting money into over the last year to try and find a coach for a season just to see what I can do before I get too old. Currently 45 years old.

I think my game maxed out 2 years ago. Now with age it's in it's receding stages.
Don't worry, You'll all get there eventually, if you live long enough

I don't think so, I have improved in some areas quite a bit this year, and there is still a lot of room for improvement in those and other areas. I honestly need to stop farting around and get serious about fitness as I think being a fat POS is holding me back quite a bit.

I am trending to my 2nd lowest cap ever right now, and will keep working to get it even lower.

I hope that I am not maxed out. I still average mid 90's for 18 which is annoying. This year I am finally getting out a lot, been out 20 times or so. Driving range once a week, chipping an putting once a week as well. I do see some improvements (I use to average low 100's), but is it too late at 50? After raising 3 kids as a single dad and only getting out 3-5 times a year for the past 10+ years, this year has been great. Kids are older and off to college or can drive themselves.

I have put in the work so I expect to get better.

I'm maxed out for the amount of time I spend practicing and working on it. I need to work of short game stuff and a lot of it. I've made strides lately but I know that's where I lose strokes.

Not even close . I rarely practice, just play. I see massive improvement any time I can golf 4-6 rounds a week with 10 hours a week practice compared to where I am at playing 2-3 rounds a week only. While I will never be 2000's Tiger I feel like I could still knock off a good chunk of strokes still if I could spend a year playing full time.

If I had the time and money I would love to make a high year long prop bet about how good I could get. Not likely at the moment.

Back