Do any of you miss the old metal spikes?

Don't miss them - liked the sound though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably the only thing I liked about them honestly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't miss the damage to the greens from the drag footed walkers, but I do miss the sound of metal spikes walking across a cement cart path.

I don't miss the damage to the greens from the drag footed walkers, but I do miss the sound of metal spikes walking across a cement cart path.

but honestly, this doesn't happen now too? I mean a foot dragger, twister, whatever, imo is going to do similar and maybe even worse with these spider claws we now have. I mean thes things are not exactly soft and they do tare up grass/green surface if dragged or twisted specially on softer greens or wet ones.

I honestly never noticed much back then and can say it seems that its worse nowadays than back then from what I recall.

Not one bit. I rather enjoy having comfortable modern footwear with far superior traction.

but honestly, this doesn't happen now too? I mean a foot dragger, twister, whatever, imo is going to do similar and maybe even worse with these spider claws we now have. I mean thes things are not exactly soft and they do tare up grass/green surface if dragged or twisted specially on softer greens or wet ones.

I honestly never noticed much back then and can say it seems that its worse nowadays than back then from what I recall.

I've noticed some of the people that wear aggressive "spider" soft spikes really tear up the driving range.

You see this on the green where they get down to take the ball from the hole.

No. Absolutely no.

My old home course in Indiana before I moved still allows and sells metal spikes. I had one pair of shoes to wear in the wet with metal in them, but just recently threw them away. I go spikeless these days.

I’ve never worn metal spikes, as I{be only been playing for the last three years or so. To be completely honest I don’t think I get any benefit from golf shoes except for less wear and tear on my everyday shoes.

No! That’s all I can say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I miss them.

They were already a thing of the past when I started playing.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

No, not a chance

I don't miss them.

I’ve never seen a pair.

I'm kind of surprised that three pages in no ones mentioned this. I thought it was pretty common knowledge that it wasn't them tearing up the greens that did them in. Rather the tearing up of the carpets in the Pro Shops? Maybe I'm off on this but I've heard this for forever.

I don't really miss them but I did thin a ball a couple rounds back because my foot slipped. Haven't had that happen before, maybe ever. Probably wouldn't have happened if I'd have been wearing metal spikes.

I don't miss them at all, but I distinctly remember some scary moments when trying to walk down a wet path wondering if I was going to end up flat on my back

I think shoes these days are so much more comfortable as well

Watched a friend slip on a wet 4 x 4 wood edging the other day. He instantly said he missed the metal spikes.
I actually miss them whenever I'm playing behind someone who tends to scuff his feet on the greens. I think the soft spikes actually do more damage to the greens given their wider profile relative to the ground.

Back