Do any of you miss the old metal spikes?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
My Son is 13 and hasn't ever seen a pair of metal golf spikes.
I think back to the 90's and the metal spikes.
I don't miss the spike marks all over the steps and entrances outside the clubhouses.
Or, they way people put their feet on the dash of the carts and chewed them up.
I have seen people hang their foot out of a cart and the spikes grabbed the ground and hurt their ankle.
Also, you couldn't drive your vehicle very good while wearing them.
I do feel like I had better traction and was fastened to the ground.
The metal spikes made you confident when walking up a hill that had wet grass all around it.
On a tile floor you slid around like a dog on the vet's exam table.
I kind of miss hearing someone walkin in the parking lot.
It sounded like Superman chewing Corn Nuts with his mouth open.
Tell me what your pros and cons of the old metal spikes.
Or, if you even got to wear them at all.

I remember the days of old metal spikes and I don't know why some pros still wear them. The current tech in soft spikes as well as the spikeless designs seem to offer way more grip. Just my opinion of course, I don't swing nearly as violently as pros do, but I see a guy like Freddie Couples pushing the ball out as far as he does, and he rolls with casual ecco spikeless. IDK.

Sent from my 6045O using Tapatalk

I remember walking with metal spikes.
We would have our pull carts on the cart path, and we walked on the grass because the spikes would hurt your feet after a while if you walked on the pavement.
I never bought good shoes back then.
Mine were usually $20 McGregors from Kmart.

I miss the sound the spikes made on a cart path, and that's about it.

Wouldn't wear spikes now days if I had to. I wear the soft spike shoes from home, to the course, play and wear them home. They're very light weight, effective, comfortable and don't spike up the greens. Remember how spikes marked up the greens used to be? Could never figure why spike marks on the greens couldn't be tapped down. Love not seeing/putting over spike marks now. I have 10 pairs of soft spike golf shoes and never wear the same pair 2 rounds in a row.

At first I did before the industry made vast improvements over the early versions of soft spikes. Haven't even thought about them in years now until this thread popped up.

As soonas I read this I could hear the clicky clack sound of metal spikes in my head.That was a while ago and todays spike is so much better but the sound was...golf. Like club clatter.

I dont miss them at all besides the sound as several have mentioned. They tore up greens, were heavy and nowhere near as comfy as today's shoes.

As soonas I read this I could hear the clicky clack sound of metal spikes in my head.That was a while ago and todays spike is so much better but the sound was...golf. Like club clatter.

I'm sure many on THP have never heard that sound, but you know I really miss that part of the metal spike era. As to the rest the new soft spikes are so much better and more comfortable.

I did for a long time. I held out as long as I could before making the switch.

Now, all I miss is the sound they made when you were walking on the concrete/asphalt.\

I do NOT miss nearly wiping out when you stepped on linoleum/tile/anything similar.

I did miss them for about a decade but I wouldn't anymore. My knee's and back couldn't hold up at my age to the extra torque that the metal spikes allowed!

Metal spikes no. I do miss the hard and stiff wingtips shoe that takes 6 months to break in. We are getting spoiled with modern golf shoes, I love my true linkswear, yes spoiled rotten.

There was an older gentleman that had a local course.
He passed a few years after soft spikes came on the scene.
After the first year or so, he claimed the metal spikes helped him with aerating the greens.
I'm not a greens keeper, but it makes a little sense.

I wish I could say my game has improved since wearing metal spikes but it really hasn't.

But that aside, I don't think new spikes are better nor worse and spike-less shoes Ive seen so many slip there foot/feet while swinging. I also don't think greens were ruined by metal spikes. In fact I seem to see far more marks and impressions from modern claw plastic spikes than I ever remember seeing greens receive from those single nipple type metal spikes. Id rather have thin pin like holes vs claw(or spider) type impressions. I think the damage (on average in general) is worse now.

I absolutely miss the old metal spikes, loved wearing them. Also loved the way they sounded when walking on concrete!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Don't really miss them - though I only wore them for a few years before making the switch to soft spikes.

God, I had FJ classics with metal spikes, those were so heavy!!!

I wish I could say my game has improved since wearing metal spikes but it really hasn't.

But that aside, I don't think new spikes are better nor worse and spike-less shoes Ive seen so many slip there foot/feet while swinging. I also don't think greens were ruined by metal spikes. In fact I seem to see far more marks and impressions from modern claw plastic spikes than I ever remember seeing greens receive from those single nipple type metal spikes. Id rather have thin pin like holes vs claw(or spider) type impressions. I think the damage (on average in general) is worse now.

This is something I've noticed also. Sometimes when you go up to a green, it looks like a werewolf has been moonwalking around the cup.
I guess when some people get on a knee to retrieve their balk from the cup, they scoot around.
I always tell my 13 year old Son to look at the green when leaving.
Make sure you didn't leave and clubs, spike marks, ball marker, head covers, etc.

No i dont

Exactly my point! Click clack.

Remember the shoes I had in Myrtle. Sounded like a damn pony.

Remember the shoes I had in Myrtle. Sounded like a damn pony.

Hahaah. Yes you did.

Don't miss them - liked the sound though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back