Favorite Golf Game

IceyShanks

NiceyThanks
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
I know there are a ton of formats out there, but let's say you and your buddies are all playing a regular round of golf, all playing their own ball.

What's your favorite game to play on the side??? Maybe it's captains, maybe it's 6s. And the fun thing will be to see what everyone calls them, but bring on your suggestions!

Umbriago. Two man best ball, point for closest to the pin, low man, low total, and birdie. If you get all four on the whole, you get 10 points. Each point is like 50 cents or a dollar. Points add up quick and swings can happen at any time.

I really want to get into wolf hammer, but it just seems like that can get out of control really quickly

Very interested in this one.

Can folks describe the games that they play as well?

If we play as a threesome. We always play 9 point seems to work best for us.

Wolf is my favorite

If it's against one person, I like Nassau.

If there are 3 of us, I like 5/3/1

4 some I like 6/6/6 where you change up partners.

Usually Nassau or we will do a game where low score takes the hole 3-5-7 ($3 for a bogie, $5 for a par, $7 for a birdie). If the hole pushes the money carries over to the next hole.

I've played Hammer a few times and that can get ridiculous real quick.

Wolf but it’s been awhile since I played. 6/6/6 is also fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingo Bango Bongo is a fun one that I play a lot with neighbors.

Never done 6/6/6 but that sounds like another fun one

I grew up playing rabbit and squirrel. You have a group playing... 4 to 20 guys generally. If you post a lowest score on a hole, you "have the rabbit" (like winning a skin). BUT If on the next hole you get beat by anyone then you "lose the rabbit" and "the rabbit is running". (You have to keep the skin with a tie or add to it with another win). If you win another hole you have the rabbit and a leg. You can theoretically win the rabbit and four legs, thereby closing out that side and winning the pot. It's basically skins with no carry overs but you have to keep your skins by tying or winning more skins... if someone else wins a skin then you lose the skin you had, and whoever retains the most skins at the end of a side wins that side. You can play badly but birdie the last hole and you can win it all.

Squirrel is the same except that only birdies or lower can win a hole.

Usually with rabbit it comes down to who plays best on the last three holes of each side. Squirrel is usually whoever has the most birdies. But you never know until the end when the scorecards are compared ("ran" they say).

Anybody ever played Vegas. Was thinking it would be fun but I don't bet much on the course

Umbriago is fun.......and if you play for some money it can add up really quick. Ask me how I know........

Umbriago is fun.......and if you play for some money it can add up really quick. Ask me how I know........

YEEEAHHH sounds like I have an umbriago partner!!

It can wreck you really quick if the other team gets hot.

Not my favorite golf game if I am playing bad....but have played quite bit of Hammer and Wolf-Hammer. Definitely can get VERY expensive!! Saw $400 change hands on the 18th hole after one "team" made birdie and the other "team" bogeyed while a hammer and press were in play. I was luckily on the winning side of this game, and it was the first time I had played it. Had no clue the stakes had ramped up that high, so now only play with limits in place.

We don't include all the rules/options listed I this article, but it does explain how Wolf Hammer is played: https://nolayingup.com/2017/09/11/wolfhammer/

I've just realized I'm not near smart enough to play wolf hammer. My God, need a phd just to understand all the rules. Thanks for the link though.

I've just realized I'm not near smart enough to play wolf hammer. My God, need a phd just to understand all the rules. Thanks for the link though.

Like you, I was naïve and just went along with it....since I was playing with "friends" and just assumed no one would drop more than $60-80 each -- and that's only if they were playing really bad. I didn't realize there were so many sub-rules or junk as the article refers to them as. We played with the dots and pressing, and bumps in value based on the score on the hole -- birdie winner is double, eagle winner is triple, etc. Looking back, I'm glad I didn't really know what was at stake because had I known I would have been stressed out. Lesson learned.

If it's against one person, I like Nassau.

If there are 3 of us, I like 5/3/1

4 some I like 6/6/6 where you change up partners.

6/6/6 is a fun game that we play a lot. Switch partners every 6 holes so you partner with each player for 6 holes

Uhhh, yeah. I think i would rather not play golf than have to play that. I like the simplicity of "hit the ball into the hole in as few shots as possible, and play it as it lies." Slapping a super complicated betting game on it just goes against the spirit of the game. But i guess there's plenty of people that like it too... and i thought rabbit was complicated.

I rarely gamble, but the few times I do we are playing $1 hole & ties push. On par 3s we get real wild and also put $1 on closes to the pin. I guess that its a form of nassau?

Back