Four-Man Scrambles

MSB256

Reaction score
Handicap
Four-Man Scrambles (Best ball format). Two questions.

1) Do you like/enjoy them?
2) What is something that was incorporated by a tournament you've played in that you thought was clever, fun, enjoyable?

My answers:
1) I used to enjoy them but thought they might kind of throw my game off. For example, I might hit more driver than I might have playing for my own score. However, now I see it as a good way to practice, hit shots I might not normally hit, without the pressure. I quite enjoy them. Sometimes, you may even show yourself you can hit a shot that you may not have tried if you were keeping your real score.
2) Seven on seven. The team has to use only their 7 irons from tee to green on hole #7. Once on the green you can use your putter. I've got others but I'll give other people some time to respond before I mention them.

1) I enjoy them for what they are - usually a fundraiser for something that actually matters to me. They're a nice time out with friends and its a somewhat competitive environment with a chance of winning some cash. Why not?
2) I've seen a ton of variations, but the one that made things probably the most interesting I've forgotten the name of. All 4 players teed off, but whoever's shot was selected had to sit out on the next shot before getting back in for the 3rd shot (while the best 2nd shot guy sits out). Its kind of cumbersome.

I play in one tomorrow at Harding Park in San Francisco and I'm looking forward to it mostly because of the people in my foursome. I enjoyed playing in 5-6 of these each year when I was younger and now I limit it to a couple a year.

I like it when you can't hit two shots in a row but very few scrambles use that rule. When I retire there are some big Calcutta scrambles I really look forward to playing in every summer back in Minnesota. One of them last year had a $135,000 Calcutta. Nothing like having a putt with thousands of dollars to get the nerves shorting out!!

1- I would rather be captured and tortured by ISIS
2- Charitable donation in lieu of playing in one

1) Do you like/enjoy them? Yes, at the end of the year, don't like them during the year, prefer to focus on my game and playing well.
2) What is something that was incorporated by a tournament you've played in that you thought was clever, fun, enjoyable? Glow Ball

1. I enjoy them, but go into them understanding that it will be a 5 hour round.
2. I don't really care for all the fun/clever activities. Just give me beer and a cigar and let me play.

2) What is something that was incorporated by a tournament you've played in that you thought was clever, fun, enjoyable?

1) Yes I like and enjoy them for a few reasons: usually it’s a corporate sponsored event and I’ve been invited to play for free. Typically you get some free swag like balls, apparel, free food coupons and of course they’re probably feeding you lunch and/or dinner. Many times they’re fundraisers so there’s a silent auction or something where you can purchase private Country Club foursomes. And on top of that, you’re probably playing a nice private club, sometimes one that i otherwise would never get to play. (I got to play atlanta Athletic club and TPC Sugarloaf in one of these)

2) The competition used to aggravate me to no end because some group of guys would almost always turn in some ridiculous card somewhere
in the net 48 range but now I just go into it knowing people cheat, take extra shots, count putts that they attempted 10 different times each! So now I just assume itll happen and I just enjoy a free day of golf.

But something fun? One time we were in an outing and one of the vendors at a par-3 was handing out a sleeve of golf balls if you hit the green, a dozen if you got it within 5 feet and 10k cash if you made a hole in one!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'll throw out another scramble element I've seen. The sabotage! You can pay to sabotage any player. If a player on your team is sabotaged, your team must play their worst drive on the sabotage hole, using normal golf rules. The times I've seen this, it was on 18.

I only do charity scrambles if someone else is paying. The only cash scrambles I will play is if you are paired with another team or the tournament provides markers for each group. I also hate any silly stuff like buying string.

Four-Man Scrambles (Best ball format). Two questions.

I don't play in many, but always have a good time when I do.

When Jacqui and I ran Painted Hills, we held a Little Break tournament. It was a four person scramble with challenges on half the holes. We even had a flop wall.

I’m terrible at golf, so I love them. It lets me play with friends (that are all better than me) without any pressure.

The best (and only) fun wrench I’ve seen thrown into the works was a “beat the pro” hole. You could pay $5 to hit a drive against the pro. If you beat him you won something (I knew I had no shot, so I didn’t pay much attention). If not you got to use his drive.

Back