Social. Mental and physical challenge. Only thing I’ve found that I can play horrible and still enjoy being out on the course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I love the challenge the game presents, you don't have to rely on someone else, only you can affect the outcome

It's a game that stays on your mind even when you aren't on the golf course. I gave up soccer a little over a year ago to play Golf and it's a lot of fun mixed with frustration. You can shoot 81 one day and then follow it up with a 94 and wonder what the F happened.

I like to practice, I like playing with different people, I like watching golf and I spend most of my days at work on THP heh.

I initially got into golf as a social re-connection with friends after a divorce in 1990. I quickly found the very zen aspects of the game, and have been hooked ever since.

I play for the challenge. Just when you start making headway something else trips me up.

Beer and golf just go together. I love playing with some friends

This is a big part of it. I can agree with most reasons posted except the competition aspect, the work world is so stressful there is no chance of me ever adding the stress of competition and inevitable failure.

The other big reason is being outdoors and on the good earth.

Last edited:
the challenge of the game
the exercise
being outdoors
friendships

Personal challenge and relationships made on the course.

For me it is definitely the social aspect, which is a strange thing to say. I’m not a very social person. The vast majority of my rounds are played alone, but I got into it just so I could participate in group outings with my buddies. As people have moved away and those have gotten fewer and further between, so have my rounds of golf.

My most enjoyable rounds are those I play with friends or completely alone. Being paired with strangers is tolerable, but I’d always rather just be by myself. If I had the money I would book all 4 slots for a tee time just so I would be guaranteed to play alone. Of course, pace of play can become an issue as well. In a perfect world I’d either play alone on a wide open course, or in a foursome with friends on a wide open course.

Waiting is absolutely the worst thing about golf to me. I despise it, and it can absolutely ruin a day for me. The only thing worse is how unpredictable it is. I never know when I book a tee time if I’m going to be stuck behind a slow group (or a slew of slow groups). Waiting is less of a frustration when I’m playing with friends, but that is rare these days.

In the course of typing this response I’ve come to realize that I don’t really know why I play golf even somewhat regularly anymore. I’d probably be better off just playing a few times a year with friends and shooting a 120 each time.

Back