OITW

Reaction score
Why do you golf?

The social aspect, meeting new people? The competition? Exercise? The outdoors? A combination of factors?

I like to play because of the social aspect and the challenge of being better.

For me it was something to get the competitive juices flowing when I quit softball. Couldn't commit to the time sink that was my competitive softball life, so now sink my time into playing golf. Only wish I'd gotten into the game years ago.

I just love the game. I like a challenge and Golf definitely gives me that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’m a glutton for punishment :)

I just love playing. It’s my escape from the real world.

I enjoy the game for different reasons, based on the group. My usual weekend group is about the whiskey not the golf, so fellowship/friendship. I play in our Ryder Cup event for the competition.

Getting outside, walking the course and doing my best to turn off the week's noise aren't terrible things either.

Challenging myself. It's been awhile since I have been a part of competitive sports.... I kinda want to see what I am capable of. Also, its fun!

It’s relaxing especially walking the course in beautiful weather.

Because its so much fun. Some days are diamonds, some days are stones. Love the game as never before. Hit a 5 iron on the nose, snick (the sound) a bunker shot to a tap in, flush a drive...... Love it all.

I like challenging myself and comradery with other golfers.

I love everything about it. The difficulty, the ups and downs, the beauty of being outside, meeting new people, talking to caddies, the apparel, the equipment, and especially playing with my family.

It's a mix of things for me; the social aspect, being outdoors, trying to shoot a little better than the round before.

I like the challenge and good excercise.

I have a severe golf addiction.

For me it's mostly an exercise to learn about myself.

How can I improve as a decision maker? How can I learn how to react more calmly to disappointment?

That and it gets met out of the house a couple times a week most of the year for some fresh air and camaraderie.

It is a mix of things, I think # 1 is the social aspect. It is a reason to get together with my friends every week for 4-5 hours and usually there ends up being more things to laugh about during the round.

#2 is the challenge. I have loved sports all my life and while I was never great at any one of them, golf gives me something to focus those competitve juices on.

I play because it isn't just a one-dimensional activity: social but also a very personal game, mental aspects, physical/mechanics, love being outside, the challenge of improving, competition with others, etc.

Got married, bought a house, had a kid... Taking up golf seemed to be the logical next step in life.

I play as much as I can because after a severe Traumatic Brain Injury secondary to a drunk driver, my docotrs will not let me do ANYTHING that could result in another brain injury. That leaves out almost all sports except golf. I am now obsessed with the game.

Also, as a retired doctor, I guess I have to play, right? :clapp::golf3:

Last edited:
I golf because I love the game. I play for personal competition, social interaction and free lunch I get with my paid greens fees.

I golf because it's my therapy in a way. whether it's a couple of hours practicing or playing a round, It's a time where all the stresses going on around me get pushed to the side and I have time for myself. It's kind of like my reset button.

I also Golf for the social aspect and the friendships it can build. I Golf because I know I'll never master the game, but it's fun trying and talking about it with others who enjoy the game as much as I do.

The thrill of Victory and the Agony of defeat.....love to see what happens on any given day.

The ongoing challenge to improve, the exercise rise, the mental distraction and the socializing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I play because I want to prove to myself that I can still shoot scores that I did 20 years ago. I love competition and being outdoors.

Back