best online/ dvd/ book golf training program

topspark

Reaction score
Handicap
me
Day Gents
Just after some thoughts on ideas of the best golf training program available, be it book, dvd, online.....?
I am in my early 60's, and want to improve and have a reliable swing, from the ground up.
Do not mind spending the dollars on a worthwhile program, if it works.
Prefer something that can be done without visiting a pro.
Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

Day Gents
Just after some thoughts on ideas of the best golf training program available, be it book, dvd, online.....?
I am in my early 60's, and want to improve and have a reliable swing, from the ground up.
Do not mind spending the dollars on a worthwhile program, if it works.
Prefer something that can be done without visiting a pro.
Thoughts and experiences appreciated.

U Would be better of posting on wrx forum instead. More then not u wont get an answer here..
but i Would check out aimpoint express ?

Monte Scheinblum has some videos for sale on his website that I found interesting. Drive for Dough, Wedge it Close, Use the Bounce, etc.

http://montescheinblum.com/videos/

Check out pga tour home academy or go to the pga website. They have a video library you can subscribe to.

BIG fan of Tathata Golf. It's the theory I'm learning off of right now. Head been tremendous for me and a lot of it is done without a golf club so you can do it at home, at the gym, or wherever else.

https://www.tathatagolf.com/

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

My favorite is Malaska golf.
His videos are relatively short, concise and his concepts completely make sense to me.

Lots of good YouTube content out there. Not only on the THP channel, but a lot of good stuff on both Rick Sheils's channel and Peter Finch's channel along with plenty of others.

A lot of very smart people will urge you to visit a pro, and although you mentioned not wanting to have to do that I would still advocate you seek out any possibilities that you may have. The knowledge isn't going to be vastly different than what we have here on our forum with Tadashi (Freddie, Panda, etc) but the application of that knowledge directly to you will be incredibly beneficial. Feel free, though, to post a video of your swing and he will give you the best advice you can get without being right beside you hitting.

If you want to have something at home or that is a comprehensive "system", the PGA TourAcademy Home Edition DVD's are good. They cover a little bit of everything - putting, chipping, pitching, irons, driver, specialty shots, etc. And they don't try to teach anything that is bizarre/out there.

If you are good with online videos, Mike Malaska and Tony Luczak on YouTube are great sources of information. They both sort of go against the grain and teach more natural or reactionary golf swings.

best online/ dvd/ book golf training program

I've done the PGA tour academy DVDs. They were good. I've also tried Shawn Clement. He is a popular YouTube guy. I even went to see him for a lesson in Toronto. I bought all his DVD's. I've also tried rotaryswing.com. I've got all the DVD's you could buy related to improving your swing.
Here's the thing. While I did slightly improve, I think all this stuff did more harm than good. The problem is that your swing is unique and without the watchful eye of a pro you're going to be spinning around in circles. What you think you may be doing is not actually the case.
I'd like to say all those DVD's were a waste of time but they really helped me UNDERSTAND the fundamentals of the swing and game and that has helped me now as I'm in my second season doing Golftec lessons.
Sorry to be real but I've been where you're at I'm just speaking from experience.
Go find a good pro. Otherwise, you'll just become frustrated at your progress for the amount of work you're putting in.

Otherwise, you'll just become frustrated at your progress for the amount of work you're putting in.

I'm not sure they do more harm than good. However, I agree with the fact that they will help you understand the various swings/techniques, but knowing and doing are two distinct things.

thanks for all the feedback, all duly noted.
I understand the need to have someone look over your shoulder, but how do you determine who's good and who's not.
looking at some of the online stuff is interesting, but I think I have read that even someone like malaska has changed his methodology over the years.

I also suppose I feel a little embarrassed with the swing I have and thats probably one of the reasons I am reluctant to put out for critique :)
I have stumbled onto a gent online called greg smith from the UK, and have tried to incorporate his swing thoughts.
Has anyone ever looked at his stuff, which again is based on short vids?
And your thoughts on what he is presenting?

thanks for all the feedback, all duly noted.
I understand the need to have someone look over your shoulder, but how do you determine who's good and who's not.
looking at some of the online stuff is interesting, but I think I have read that even someone like malaska has changed his methodology over the years.

I also suppose I feel a little embarrassed with the swing I have and thats probably one of the reasons I am reluctant to put out for critique :)
I have stumbled onto a gent online called greg smith from the UK, and have tried to incorporate his swing thoughts.
Has anyone ever looked at his stuff, which again is based on short vids?
And your thoughts on what he is presenting?

As for a pro, usually asking around with your golf buddies will give a few ideas. It took me a few tries but I found a pro that's excited as I am when I improve. I had one pro that continuously checked his phone during my lesson. He has no sequential order of training. It really showed me he had no real interest in my plan other than to get my money. My pro now has a plan. He's very good.

As for being embarrassed, trust me, these guys have seen much worse than you or I. I wouldn't worry about that.

Swing changes take a LONG time to develop.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from online stuff and DVD's. I'm just to help you avoid the same mistakes I made trying to improve.

As for a pro, usually asking around with your golf buddies will give a few ideas. It took me a few tries but I found a pro that's excited as I am when I improve. I had one pro that continuously checked his phone during my lesson. He has no sequential order of training. It really showed me he had no real interest in my plan other than to get my money. My pro now has a plan. He's very good.

As for being embarrassed, trust me, these guys have seen much worse than you or I. I wouldn't worry about that.

Swing changes take a LONG time to develop.

I'm not trying to dissuade you from online stuff and DVD's. I'm just to help you avoid the same mistakes I made trying to improve.
All points taken and appreciated ��

Back