Favorite Opening Hole you have played?

SlightDraw

Reaction score
Handicap
NCGA 11
Simple enough. What is your favorite opening hole that you have played? Pictures would be preferred!

For me it might have to be the first tee at Yoche Dehe. Elevated Tee feels like you can hit it a mile!

p.php

Tough choice but my first has to be the most infamous course I have ever played(mainly due to it being the hottest day I have ever played golf.) Second would certainly be Royal New Kent in VA.

bethpage-black-sign-2.jpg

The first hole at the RTJ Grand National Lakes Course in Opelika, AL because I can never remember which way the stinking hole goes and it's always an adventure! :act-up:

Only because it was unique, the first hole at Pacific Grove Municipal. It was the only time I played a hole with a starting par 3 hole. I thought it was cool because it put an immediate gap between the groups. What hurt that was that the second hole is also a par 3. That was overkill.

Cog Hill-Dubs because it was my first taste of THP jitters and first event.
7206059884fa1fa4fbd2aa4043b88422.jpg

Cog Hill also may have been my favorite starting hole. Definitely in my top 5 courses I've ever played for sure.

Opening hole at Torrey Pines North. Looking straight out at the ocean on a fantastic course... With great THP playing partners. Amazing stuff.
c34f6e12209d1838f115f76438f795de.jpg

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mines going to run into the mundane. There's holes that fit a certain golfers "eye". This would be it for me. I've eagled this hole more than any other and haven't EVER had worse than par on it. It usually sets a tone for a great round (until I hit 8 and 9, they suck). I feel cheated with par, or even having to make more than a tap on par here. For whatever reason I almost always play it great. Hole 1 at Oak Tree, Ontario OH. Simple par 5. 515 from the tips (gps about 470 due to wide open slight dogleg that inspires fear in NO ONE). I've played it 16 times this year and haven't hit more than 8i as a second shot. I have one par, 11 birdies, and 4 eagles. It's also downhill and almost always downwind. I love that hole as much as I hate hole 9 there. That ones actually shorter but I've never hit a good drive there. Not once, not ever. I now play it as 8i, 8i, W. and hope to two putt or get up and down. In 16 rounds this year I have one birdie, 8 pars, 4 bogeys, and 3 *others. Those *others have screwed up more good scores than any other hole ever. I hate that hole. I mentioned 8 too so I'll expand. It's fair, as much as a 488 par 4 can be to the average golfer (488 into the prevailing wind). The scorecard says 445 but that's a bunch of crap. Same as calling hole one 515, just the reverse. Gps has it at 488 and I'll believe that well before I'll believe the 515 on hole 1. I've killed drives on 8 (I ain't short) and still had a mid iron in (when into the normal wind-killed one last time out and had a wedge but no wind). Silly course. Easy except for 2 holes a nine that kill my score every single time. 8 and 9 on the front and 16/18 on the back. The back isn't as bad but 8/9 sets me up to fail on the back.

To the threads points though, hole 1. Easiest hole I've ever played. For me. It's not simple but it suits my game 100% every time. There's a creek at 110 out, maybe that's key for me? I don't try to murder the ball, otherwise an occasional flier could land in it. Could be that is the key for hole one. Lay into it, but hold back just a hair?

Quick funny type story. I played a round here 3 years ago with my kids. This is a course I've played probably 200x at this point. My kids are not pace problems, they know to keep pace or pick up-enforced by the only enforcement that matters to them-me. There was pace problems but I can assure you they weren't us. We waited FOREVER. Anyways, Ranger guy deems us the problem. Whatever. Demands I not only let groups play through but demands I hit into someone on the driveable par 4 11th. No way, not happening. I finally relented, put my driver back into my bag, and hit a 3i that was close enough that the group on the green looks back. It wasn't close to hitting them, I knew it wouldn't, but was enough to make them look back. Anyways, I wrote a very negative review back then and swore I wouldn't EVER play here again. I kept my word for about 18 months. I like to play there but refused. 18 months pass and I begin to think I'm being silly and decide to play it again. I book through GN for a cheap tee time and show up. I use another first name through there (and everywhere online) to help protect my identity. When I show up the girl at the counter says "ohhhh.... you're ****?" Obvious that I have a reputation here. I tell her my real first name. And head to the tee. The starter/Marshall/whatever he is greets me there and shakes my hand. Red carpet level, lol. I proceed to smite one out there per usual on the first here. He makes a point of driving down with me and telling me he can't believe where I'm at etc. and asks what driver in hitting. I tell him it's a 3w (I had a new one that needed to be tested plus it was so windy and direct behind wind that I thought the creek was reachable). He makes some remark of "best drive ever, blah blah blah" and drives off. Point? They were willing to roll out the red carpet and let bygones go the way of the dinosaur. I couldn't ignore that and was appreciative of it. I wasn't in the wrong prior but it was nice to see them make an effort. I've played it about 20x since and have had zero issues. They even let my kids practice short game stuff after we buy a bucket so I came to the conclusion that they're good folk. I went from not liking them at all to being able to recommend them again. Good course. Great people that aren't scared of changing their opinions. I'm now a regular again and have had no issues.

The Patriot in Tulsa.

Btw-I'm sorry no pics. I can't get them to work here. All that I've tried says the file is too large. If you want awesome level pics, please tell me the secret.

I'm actually going to go with my home course, Morgan Creek. The opener is a real kick in the pants to most people and is the hardest hole on the course.

It plays downhill of the tee, makes a 45* turn to the right, and the approach is all carry to a shallow green with a false front. There's some sentinel trees on either side of the fairway keeping you honest and OB down the right side should you choose to try chew too much off. A great drive leaves you with 130 approach, a good drive leaves 150, and a poor drive can leave 190 or more with tree issues.
8fa66c11fe3a97f8abc9d7293288dca8.jpg

Number one at True Blue, nice dogleg left par 5 that isn't too penal off the tee but allows a birdie chance with a good 3rd shot after laying up with the 2nd (for most). Fun hole that allows you to not hit perfect shots, good start to match play.

The Patriot in Tulsa.

I'm gonna put mine as The Patriot club as well. Insanely elevated tee shot to the point its an optical illusion and makes the fairway look so small and narrow.

How about the only 3 opening holes I have birdied?

Temple Terrace started at 10
Fox Hollow and Grand Cypress New Course started at 1

For that reason they are my favorite holes.

I'd have to go with #1 at Greywalls in Marquette, Michigan.

It's a 579 / 545 / 509 Par 5. The elevated tee shot has some forced cary, but the landing area is quite generous. From there though you're faced with a tough decision, and a really tricky elevated green. If you lay up the third shot requires really precise distance control and will likely be blind.

Trying to bust a driver down this fairway from the back tees on a clear day when the Fall colors are out is about as good as it gets.

ykdmCSZ.jpg

I love #1 at Spanish Bay, not so much because it's a great par 5, it's a good par 5, but the walk along and out to the bay, especially with a light marine layer is just relaxing.

Number one at True Blue, nice dogleg left par 5 that isn't too penal off the tee but allows a birdie chance with a good 3rd shot after laying up with the 2nd (for most). Fun hole that allows you to not hit perfect shots, good start to match play.

First thing that came into my mind when I saw the question by @itsopeningday There is/was just something about that hole that set the tone for the rest of the course at True Blue. And playing for the old Cup may have had a hand in that thought process too. :D

1stTee_zps0yitm0yc.jpg

Really like #1 at Tour 18 Dallas. It's a huge elevated tee box, hundreds of feet above the green. Beautiful view. Believe it is a recreation of a hole from Cherry Creek in Denver. Really a spectacular hole.

Back