Building Out Your Set

Tenputt

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 5.4
I am curious to know from at least ten people your thoughts regarding whether you build out your bag based upon a particular course you play, to fill your gaps as well as possible, or whether you use some other strategy. Also, how often do you switch a club in and out, such as a five wood for a hybrid.

For example, my home course is a par 71, with three par threes of around 200 to 220 yards. In addition, two of the par fives do not lend themselves to blasting away in an effort to get home in two. Thus, I worked and worked to find two hybrids that gap extremely well for that 200 to 220 distance and gave up a four or five wood. I have a five wood that I would use for other courses, but I have diligently focused this year on hitting those two hybrids well and I finally have been able to become extremely confident with tee shots into greens from that long distance. It has lowered my handicap by a couple of strokes.

Thoughts?

Last edited:
I build my set to balance out my strengths and weaknesses. I hit the ball a decent distance and have the top end setup to give me the best chance to score well on par 5's. Every Par 5 I get on or around the green in 2 is a good chance for birdie.

For weakness, I am not a good wedge player so I have my 9-LW gapped out to give me the best chance to get it close from 150 and in. The clubs from 160-200 are covered by the rest of the set. Usually can hit all those yardages with 5-8i.

So, that's how I setup my bag.

Nope, I built my set based on reviews from various people here on THP. Callaway was the only company that got serious consideration but multiple models were in my research.

Courses never came into any consideration.

no, i play all around so it doesn't make sense to build my bag around one course. but my buddy has built his bag to fit the course at which he is a member, and that's pretty much the only place he plays.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How I put my set together in totality is probably a long and ridiculous story, but the Coles notes is that it's built around carry distance gaps with an eye towards stopping power.

I built my bag based on my strengths and weakness but have added certain irons/clubs for courses that I play all the time. I change accordingly to that course at times.

I've been known to have 15 or 16 clubs of which I'll choose the best 14 for the course I'm playing that day. Usually that involves adding or subtracting a wedge for something at the top of the iron or bottom of the metals. If I traveled more I'd consider having wedges with difference bounce (I play most of my golf in arid or desert environments).

How I put my set together in totality is probably a long and ridiculous story, but the Coles notes is that it's built around carry distance gaps with an eye towards stopping power.
Coles notes? Is that a Canadian thing?

Back