Max game improving set. Adams idea tech v4 vs Cobra fly-z XL

Elgallo

Reaction score
Handicap
Im new to golf, just started playing this summer, i found that i enjoy it more than i thought i would, looking to buy my first set of clubs (used) and im thinking Adams tech v4, or Cobra fly z XL, i dont see myself playing more than once a week. Im not looking to take classes or getting fitted, i do go to the range once in a while. Im looking for something thats easy to hit thats provide good distance and is very forgiving. Doing some research online i realize that either one of this two set could be what im looking for. But i dont know which one is better?

Adams idea tech v4
Cobra fly-z XL

Out of those two the Cobra set, by a pretty big margin too.

Agreed with JB. Cobra's SGI sets are some of the best around. If you can find some Wilson Staff D200s in the same price range, you may want to look at those also.

Out of those two the Cobra set, by a pretty big margin too.

These are the answers that simply irk me.

Gives the OP nothing to go on.

What makes the cobra set better "by a pretty big margin" ?
Were they longer ? More forgiving ? Both ? Looks better? Feels better? Better materials quality?

Not trying to be negative or confrontational but additional information would helpful versus a 40,000 foot level answer.

I was in the same boat as you but went a little different route. I bought a used set of Mizuno MX100's and coundn't be happier with them. The 4&5's are a shallow hybrid that are stupid easy to hit. The rest of the irons have a pretty big cavity back and are really soft. For a cast club, I can't complain a bit. To round out the bag I snagged a Mizuno JPX 800 driver and some MP series woods. The driver is a little tough to hit (to me) and doesn't come with any adjustment features like the new stuff but for the price I couldn't pass it up.

I bought a new set of Baffler's from Cobra a while back for cheaper than what a used set for Fly Z's are going for...I'm not sure if the tech is that much greater with the newer set. For me, new was more important...I think there is a term for that! ha

prices have dipped since then it appears! I really enjoy Cobra though..for what that's worth.

Im new to golf, just started playing this summer, i found that i enjoy it more than i thought i would, looking to buy my first set of clubs (used) and im thinking Adams tech v4, or Cobra fly z XL, i dont see myself playing more than once a week. Im not looking to take classes or getting fitted, i do go to the range once in a while. Im looking for something thats easy to hit thats provide good distance and is very forgiving. Doing some research online i realize that either one of this two set could be what im looking for. But i dont know which one is better?

Adams idea tech v4
Cobra fly-z XL

These are the answers that simply irk me.

Gives the OP nothing to go on.

What makes the cobra set better "by a pretty big margin" ?
Were they longer ? More forgiving ? Both ? Looks better? Feels better? Better materials quality?

Not trying to be negative or confrontational but additional information would helpful versus a 40,000 foot level answer.

i don't see what info is lacking? op asked for longer and more forgiving. between those two sets, jb says there's a big difference with the cobras fitting what op is asking by a large margin over the adams. seems pretty clear to me.

i don't see what info is lacking? op asked for longer and more forgiving. between those two sets, jb says there's a big difference with the cobras fitting what op is asking by a large margin over the adams. seems pretty clear to me.

If it were me I would want more details.
If I go to buy a car and asked the salesman, does model X or Model Y offer better safety and performance?
And he says, Model Y by a large margin, I'd want to know why.
Does it have a Sensing package, backup camera, more airbags, better tires, better shocks, sway bar, etc etc

If it were me I would want more details.
If I go to buy a car and asked the salesman, does model X or Model Y offer better safety and performance?
And he says, Model Y by a large margin, I'd want to know why.
Does it have a Sensing package, backup camera, more airbags, better tires, better shocks, sway bar, etc etc

You're seriously going to complain about a lack of specific info on irons sets that are 4 years old at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You're seriously going to complain about a lack of specific info on irons sets that are 4 years old at this point?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No complaints here at all, I was simply trying to help the OP get a better understanding of the differences between the models he asked about. It's his hard earned cash he's spending whether it be brand new gear or 4 yrs old.

I'll drop it at this point as this back and forth banter does me, the original OP or anyone else any good. My bad for even posting anything on this one.

The Cobra set will feel so much better. For a light shafted club they were pretty easy to hit. I had one from the golfsmith close out, I ended up with a ton of demo clubs for like $40. Messed around with them for a bit before donating. The adams felt less solid. The V3 was pretty good but they ruined them in the V4 version.

They both do about the same thing, the Cobra's just feel/sound more solid.

I've owned Baffler XLs and the 2016 Idea Techs (two versions newer than the V4s you ask about). I preferred the Idea Techs to the Bafflers. For me they felt better and put up better numbers on the monitor. The slotted Idea Techs felt really powerful and the 6/7 were some of the best irons I have hit in those slots. I wished they'd made the same head in the 5, but alas it was a more "regular" hybrid (albeit a pretty good one). The Baffler XLs to me felt kind of dull/dead.

I've not hit the FlyZ XLs. I feel like they were a newer version of the Baffler XLs.

Having said that, I play SGI irons and have for years. I probably wouldn't go with either of these sets. I prefer Cleveland Altitudes (they just replaced them with Launcher HBs) and Bridgestone JGRs to either of these sets.

If I remember right, the Adams had two different V4 sets, a hollow hybrid iron version, and a forged version. The hybrid/iron version would be the most comparable to the Cobra's XL.

Back