Trying To Break 90 Club

Shot a 43/46 = 89 for a PB at my home course (35/37) for mens night tonight. I left some shots out there +1 penalty but I was in a groove. 2:40 hrs to play and it rained last 2 holes. I felt good out there.

Shot a 43/46 = 89 for a PB at my home course (35/37) for mens night tonight. I left some shots out there +1 penalty but I was in a groove. 2:40 hrs to play and it rained last 2 holes. I felt good out there.

Attaboy Jim!
Nice PB on a tough track.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well played gizmo3putt! :bananadance:

After going 2-1-1 in a match play tournament I was feeling good before I even started the round. Now I need to repeat.

89 today 44/45 had one birdie, a few pars, and the rest were bogeys. felt good to break 90, lets hope I can do it again.

I shot my season low today: 43/47 for a 90 - with 3 penalty strokes for lost balls (a couple I lost in the leaves in the fairway? but that's Fall golf).

what I'm most encouraged by is that this is my first round in almost 2 months. I deliberately took a lot fewer practice swings, since it always seems like my best swings ARE practice swings - so I figured "Why waste them?"

That really helped on my 3W shots - almost every one was straight at the target and 190-200.

Six pars for the round, and putting could've been better - but many greens were aerated & that didn't help. Several putts tracked straight at the hole but stopped inches short.

Another thing that really helped was my decision to take 1-2 clubs longer for each approach shot and hold off a bit on the finish. I hit a lot more greens this way - not just hit them but got them close.

Taken altogether, I'm confident that breaking 90 should be routine for me, and hopefully I'll be moving into the "Breaking 80" thread??

42/47 - 89 this morning. 6 pars, 7 bogeys, 4 doubles and a meltdown.

38 putts including 4 three putts on the back. Also wasted 3 shots trying to get out of bunkers. Putting green and practice bunker for me this week.

46/44 today. Considering I hadn't swung a club since my last round two weeks ago (vacation, plus nursing a back injury) and went in with no warmup today, I'm not going to complain too much.

Played the par 3's par, triple, double, double. Very uncharacteristic of me.

Season is winding down so hopefully I can get out a few more times before it gets too cold.

Went out this morning by myself and shot a 43/42 for an 85. Then a buddy called and wanted to go this afternoon and I 45/43 for an 88. I still have trouble getting off the tee, I think I'm going back to the 3w off the tee unless it's wide open and working on the driver at the range. My irons have been great lately because that's what I've been focusing more on at the driving range from around 170 and in. Short game was pretty good all around today also, put one six inches from the cup out of the sand today. Right now I'm on one of the better streaks I've ever had, I hope I can finish the year strong and carry it over to next year.

I walked 36 Friday in a pretty stiff 25-30mph breeze with stronger gusts. Needless to say my game wasn't up to flighting every shot appropriately and my iron play was dreadful. Went 49/49 and 49/48. I had only two pars and one GIR over 36 holes. It was ugly. I was pleased I kept my head in it and tried to grind it out but the wind combined with the greens being very quick just killed me.

I was trying out a new driver combination and saw some good things (X Hot Pro 9.5 with a Miyazaki b B.Asha 4S). I've finally come to the realization that shaft is too light for me and my swing gets wonky with it, but when I kept it real smooth I hit some nice mid flight low spinners. My launch wasn't great so I adjusted the face to closed to 11* of loft and started seeing a great ball flight on well struck balls that bored through the wind. Even poked one 255-260 straight into the breeze which easily was my best drive in weeks. I'll be going with a Diamana Kai'li 60S since I like that bend profile and it is softer and should launch higher than the 70S I was playing in my Razr Fit, so hopefully that is a winning combination for me.

Looks like another decent week of weather so I'm hoping to get at least another round or two in.

43/50=93 Leaves started falling hard so I didn't bother keeping score for my second 18. Lost a bunch of balls in the fairways but was finding others to replace them and keep going without wasting my own.

43/50=93 Leaves started falling hard so I didn't bother keeping score for my second 18. Lost a bunch of balls in the fairways but was finding others to replace them and keep going without wasting my own.

Having same issues here, leaves on fairway hiding balls

838f91d574c09fcf30c3bc4757b5c967.jpg

My scoring average is finally under 90 for the season...

Making progress, now when one part of my game isn't great, other parts are helping pick up the slack so the score isn't as affected (as it was in the past)...

Dax

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

838f91d574c09fcf30c3bc4757b5c967.jpg

My scoring average is finally under 90 for the season...

Making progress, now when one part of my game isn't great, other parts are helping pick up the slack so the score isn't as affected (as it was in the past)...

Dax

good on you! keep it up, and it will click at the same time. then watch out!

91 this morning out in 43 back in with a 48. 5 Pars, 7 Bogies and 6 doubles. Lost one ball on the 18th into water when I hooked my 4 hybrid left, pin high but about 20 yards off line. The big difference between the 2 nines was pace of play. Front nine I had it to myself so just played at my normal pace, back nine I got stuck behind 3 foursomes, the first group let me through after 3 holes the next group refused to let me through so it was a 10 minute wait between shots, this really throws my momentum and I need to learn how to deal with it, or what to do whilst waiting.

31 putts, short game was better than it has been with only 2 duff shots.This was also my first round with my fitted M1 driver, I was in places I do not normally reach so hopefully that will continue. When I am a 8, 9 or wedge for my second shot in the fairway it makes a one heck of a difference from hacking out the rough.

This is quite a long difficult course for me, it plays at 6658 yards, 72.1 / 131 slope and rating. There is also water in play on 15 holes, with quite tight narrow fairways. I am feeling positive about my game. I only have one nagging thought which has been put there by my instructor at home and by the fitter who did my driver is that I am losing distance by not having my irons fitted to me. I am now having thoughts of getting that done next week on my day off.

Last edited:
Got some solid work done in practice bunker and on the putting green yesterday. Hoping for at least one more round before the leaves make the courses unplayable.

51 on the front; stopped keeping score on the back. My phone lit up with work stuff and I checked out mentally. On the bright side I got out of two bunkers so the practice time paid off.

47/44 for 91. Putting woes continue. Although I managed a birdie on each side they were offset by (at least) two 3-putt bogeys.

Followed up an atrocious 52/53 105 on Friday with a 47/43 90 today. Funny game.

Followed up an atrocious 52/53 105 on Friday with a 47/43 90 today. Funny game.

I went the other way... 42/47 89 last Sunday, 51/45 96 yesterday. Same course, same golfer, similar conditions. It is a funny game.

Had a PB 6 GIRs yesterday but 41 putts. I think I'll find a way to practice putting over the winter. Maybe get a little practice turf for the garage or something.

Had a blow up round on Friday and shot a 99, played again Sunday and shot an 84. Funny thing is I played an easier course from the high handicap tees, Sunday was a much tougher course and I played from the low-mid handicap tees. The Friday course was a 68.5/119 rating and Sunday was a 71.1/128 rated course. Crazy game.

I think some of my crummy rounds recently have been due to a lack of mental focus. I was so zeroed in on the goal of breaking 90 this summer... once I got several rounds under 90 I think I've lost some focus and also have backed off on my practice routine. It's getting colder and the leaves are falling - I can feel the golf part of my brain starting to check out for the winter.

Last 2 rounds - went 91 and 90.
I've got one or two more left before old man winter sets in.
It was really just small mental lapses keeping from getting in the 80's on the last rounds.
Playing on Friday and am going to make a concerted effort to keep my concentration on every shot (chipping, specifically as I had at least 2 duffed chips in each of the last 2 rounds)

Back