Release Cycles and Custom Fitting

golfunfiltered

Johnny Unhappy Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
If a major golf equipment manufacturer introduced a model where the cost of a custom fit was included in the price of every new driver, but their driver release cycle reduced to every 5 years, would you purchase from that company?

Is it a one time fitting or will you be fit each time their new driver comes out? are all shaft options on the table or only a certain amount to chose from?

unless the cost of that driver was astronomical i would definitely be interested. but that doesn't mean i'd actually hang onto that driver for a full five years. the allure of new and shiny and longer and straighter from other OEMs would probably be too strong for me to stay committed.

The cost of a one time fitting would not move me but perhaps a yearly tune up on that driver or an opportunity to upgrade shafts at a discount might. Five years is a long time for most folks.

Am I reading the original post correctly, in that each time you purchase a driver from this company they will fit you for it?

Assuming that is the case, then yes, I see no reason why I wouldn't buy from that company, regardless of the release cycle, as I know that when I next buy a driver from them I will be properly fitted for it

The right questions are being asked in the above posts.

Is there value in getting re-fit every few years? I argue yes.

Possibly, but no way I will be waiting 5 years to buy another driver (I am hoping to make it 5 months at this point) and I would be very curious on their business plan to make it that 5 year, but that is really outside of the thought of this hypothetical.

The right questions are being asked in the above posts.

Is there value in getting re-fit every few years? I argue yes.

I plan to get another one sometime in the next 6 months, but I have also put in a some work on improving my swing.

Yep. But I fall into the I keep equipment in my bag for a long time mentality. I would be willing to pay to help ensure the club I bought provides me the best performance.

5 years is too long. I think a custom fitting should be included, problem is who does that fitting and can you trust them to do a good one? I find myself to be more knowledgeable that some of these guys at the local shop.

5 years is too long. I think a custom fitting should be included, problem is who does that fitting and can you trust them to do a good one? I find myself to be more knowledgeable that some of these guys at the local shop.

Good question. Although, I am sure many former Dick's Sporting Goods PGA pros would be chomping at the opportunity.

Curious: why do you feel 5 years is too long? I saw your game in-person. You're probably set for at least that long.

Like the thought of custom fitting - 5 years is too long to go. I Like Shiny and New too much to sit tight for 5 years.

Good question. Although, I am sure many former Dick's Sporting Goods PGA pros would be chomping at the opportunity.

Curious: why do you feel 5 years is too long? I saw your game in-person. You're probably set for at least that long.

I think technology changes too quickly and as I mentioned swings change. Maybe a 3 year cycle would work better than 5, 5 years is a long time, plus lets be honest as internet golfers we like shiny and new. I have no issues playing equipment for 3 years, but around that time I start to feel like I want a change just to change.

I tend to be on a "every other" cycle as it is, which means 3-4 years.

Including an initial fitting doesn't do a lot for me, as hitting outside on a launch monitor while not ubiquitos, isn't unusual.

Now if you'd saying that it includes an annual fitting adjustment for 5 years including different loft, shafts, etc that would be intriguing. I'm of the opinion that changes to one's swing over 5 years will have a greater impact than technology changes.

Of course it ultimately begs the question of cost. If the premium is more than a 50% adder I think it's DOA.

I for one would be all over this. For the most part, I'm not like many folks here who change clubs multiple times in the same month, let alone over the course of a season. The clubs in my bag now, will be there for some time unless something unforeseen happens. I do think that 5 years may be a stretch because new tech and what not, but I'd definitely be intrigued by it.

If a major golf equipment manufacturer introduced a model where the cost of a custom fit was included in the price of every new driver, but their driver release cycle reduced to every 5 years, would you purchase from that company?

If the prices stayed the same yes but in this case I am pretty positive they would increase the price of the driver to make it look like the fitting is free.

It would all be based on timing and I would compare it to other drivers on the market.

Isnt this the model for pretty uch everyone OEM right now? Most companies have a variety of shafts on the table at no upcharge and you can walk into an PGASS and get a good enough fit that 90% of the golfing public would be covered.

An idea to create loyalty to extended releases would be guaranteed buy back prices. Something akin to the iPhone Upgrade program has to be coming soon and not the turd TM has put out with "The Turn".

3 year release cycle, trade in on my old driver (higher trade in if it's same brand as being purchased) & 90 day playability guarantee and you would have me pulled in. Maybe something like TaylorMade is doing with the purchase program but with a fitting as well. And not a fitting like GS used to do. I want a fitting like ClubChampions or other decent fitters.

Actually, I would like this program but I get to chose the fitter as well and they can order the driver for me and the manufacture can just rebate them back the fitting cost. Most of the time you get the "$150 fitting, $50 back if you buy something" deal. I want the entire fitting for free.

I know it's a lot to ask for, but something like this would lure me away from buying off eBay and just adjusting the clubs myself (have my own loft lie machine and other equipment. I bought out Golfsmiths lead tape inventory when they closed).

I'd also like to add I would do the same for irons, woods, and wedges.

Back