Carry Distances-How do you get yours?

Kenomikes

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
8.6 GHIN
I got back into golf this year after a long layoff and was wondering how you get your carry distances for all your clubs.

For me, it's basically trial and error on the course and also have a GPS that I use sometimes after I hit the shot- I set it to get the distance as I walk to my ball.

But I would think other ways would be rental or purchase of a Launch Monitor and of course a rangefinder.

So what do you guys use?

A few years ago I took a handful of clubs to Golfsmith and hit 10-15 shots with each club. Tossed out the mishits and got my numbers.

I'm kind of that guy that "eyes" my carry distances. "Yep, that went about 160 yards."

I'm of the old school before there were launch monitors, range finders, & the like. I kind of "feel" how far it went.

I go to my local Play-A-Round golf. I get on their sim and hit several shots with each club. Toss out the outliers and only record the carry (not total distance as the sim can't possible compute that correctly.

I have used the range, but recently I got on a trackman and hit 8-10 shots with each iron. Threw out obvious outliers and took the average.

Probably going to do that again in the next few weeks, well worth the $40 for the hour on the trackman.

I get my numbers from launch monitor indoors and adjust for elevation, temperature, fitness level, course conditions, wind, and swing for the day. I'll be honest, it takes time to figure all that out, even when measuring shots with gamegolf or arcos. In the end, having that skill will lower your handicap quickly. I'm pin high on most of my shots, and carry my woods over hazards consistently.

Also, play the same ball over and over so you know the ball. If you do go hit balls on a launch monitor, make sure to bring the ball you use with you.

Laser range finder and a driving range with good targets.

Practice/playing is how I get my distances dialed in.

I have a SC200 (thanks Molten) and it works great for carry numbers. Now i just need to find an effective way ro use it and my GarminX40 which gives me total distance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trial and memory, relying on yardage markers and my app

Mine have changed drastically over the last few years. I figure out my distances on the course. 2-3 years ago I hit a 7-iron about 150 yards, today (thanks to spine surgery) I get 135-140. So for me, it was trial and error, and each year I have to re-calibrate.

Launch monitor, game golf with irons off par 3's since the ball stops where it lands and spring time golf where my ball is within a yard of its pitch mark off the tee.

Laser range finder and a driving range with good targets.
Above statement and I use shots into greens during rounds especially for irons and wedges. Tracks numbers are great but hitting off mats always seem to provide different numbers than real golf scenarios for me

Time and a GPS for me. I know each of my clubs max distance. Another reason I hate buying new clubs. Takes time to get to know them.

trial and error. i've just recently been fitted and will use those numbers as a gauge for initial rounds, but nothing beats in-round experience.

I eye my shots, have numbers I have gauged off rounds and go from there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Over water it is always 1 yard less than it takes to carry the hazard.

I have a Voice Caddie SC-100 to get a general idea on the range & make notes on certain holes to validate.

Launch monitors, laser yardage scope, years of trials and error. Most important the 2 main courses I’m playing each week require specific carry over hazard on many holes. I know my avg carry range, it’s a lot shorter than I care to admit.

I use whatever the course has posted. I.E. if it says it's a 440 yard par 4 and I'm 90 yards out I carried it 350, no?

..... ;)

I use game golf to do most of the legwork with respect to getting my distances. I realize that there is some very big unknowns using this method (rollout based on where it lands, wind, etc.), but it is the best that I have access to. It has worked well to give me a great idea where my ball is going to go.

This winter I may have access to a launch monitor, which will be utilized for some in-depth gap testing.

I bought a rangefinder in 1995 and soon after all of my carry distances were known.

I gauge it on the range then test it on the course and adjust.

I'm kind of that guy that "eyes" my carry distances. "Yep, that went about 160 yards."

I'm of the old school before there were launch monitors, range finders, & the like. I kind of "feel" how far it went.

Yup, old school. Eyeball plus I'll walk to the ball. Every 7 double steps equals 10 yds

I get what I understand of mine from on the course experience and a GPS device. The bugger of it is that as my swing improves my carry increases, I'm stuck with a carry ranges rather than a fixed lengths.

Last edited:
Back