Learning from divots

McLovin

grateful for this community
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Freddie,

I've heard from many that you can learn a lot from a divot. It seems I more often see players look at a divot after a bad shot, than after a good shot. I've looked at my divots after both, and sometimes the divot looks really good after a bad shot, and vice versa. So what can be learned from my divots to help me improve?

Thanks!

Freddie,

I've heard from many that you can learn a lot from a divot. It seems I more often see players look at a divot after a bad shot, than after a good shot. I've looked at my divots after both, and sometimes the divot looks really good after a bad shot, and vice versa. So what can be learned from my divots to help me improve?

Thanks!

In my case, most times I have a miss (which is most times :p) my divot betrays an out to in path and the ever persistent over the top move that causes it.

In my case, most times I have a miss (which is most times :p) my divot betrays an out to in path and the ever persistent over the top move that causes it.

Does yours look like this with grass/sand moving left?

photo%204_zpsm9ptxjew.png

I don't have a video/still of an action shot but I would assume that they do. If a divot survives intact with that miss I normally find it to the left of my intended target.

I don't have a video/still of an action shot but I would assume that they do. If a divot survives intact with that miss I normally find it to the left of my intended target.

Yeah, sounds like we have the same problem. I wish I would tell us how to fix it besides "hey let's figure out how to change our path." :banghead:

Keep in mind it is possible for your divot to end up to the left without swinging over the top. The club path is an arc and at some point it will begin moving left. If the divot hangs on the club face for even a split second, the divot my end up toward the left.

I wouldn't put a ton of stock in the shape/angle/direction of your divots. #NotAProJustSaying

I was once told that tour pro's divots are slightly left of their intended target. Square at the start and one uniform depth from end to end. The few guys I know well, have confirmed this for their game.

At our level and I am speaking of all amateurs, our divots are going to be inconsistent. I think we should be looking for the divot that is the width of the sole of the club, pointing in the dirrection of the target you chose and a uniform depth. If it does not have these characteristics you can start breaking down what went wrong.

if the divot is toe deep for instance. This could man you lie angle needs adjusting. It could also mean you changed your spine angle at some point in the swing. If the divot is way left of your target then it's safe to say you came over the top. There is a lot we we can learn from our divots. But focusing on the divot for most will just add confusion.

Freddie,

Thanks!

At our level and I am speaking of all amateurs, our divots are going to be inconsistent. I think we should be looking for the divot that is the width of the sole of the club, pointing in the dirrection of the target you chose and a uniform depth. If it does not have these characteristics you can start breaking down what went wrong.

great stuff and much appreciated. good with everything except the uniform depth. is that true for all clubs, particularly wedges? since we played I've been staying down on my wedges and ripping some pelts out of the ground, and I don't think they're uniform.

thanks again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

great stuff and much appreciated. good with everything except the uniform depth. is that true for all clubs, particularly wedges? since we played I've been staying down on my wedges and ripping some pelts out of the ground, and I don't think they're uniform.

thanks again!
You divot depth could have a lot to do with the ground conditions. I know in the winter time it's easy to take huge divots with wedges and even a 3 wood.

On a more general note I would not pay to much attention to your divot characteristics. Ive seen "perfect" divots that result in very bad shots and also the other way around.

There are also many other factors that are in play when determining a particular ball flight. Since face angle, club path, & attack angle all play a significant role divot depth/direction is really irrelevant and not a reliable feedback measurement.

Instead I would pay more attention to where on the clubface you are making contact.

Back