Does anyone here raise your club off of the ground to grip it?

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
I was having trouble last summer with my grip.
When the club was grounded, it would twist to a weird lie from the ground.
I started getting weird shots and distances .
Looking at some different books and online, one guy suggested lifting the club straight up and out.
Do this at waist height.
Then, adjust your grip according to the club face.
When my grip gets squirrelly, this helps. It might be good to do this all the time.

Last edited:
I was having trouble last summer with my grip.
When the club was grounded, it would twist to a weird lie from the ground.
I started getting weird shots and disances.
Looking at some different books and online, one guy suggested lifting the club straight up and out.
Do this at waist height.
Then, adjust your grip according to the club face.
When my grip gets squirrelly, this helps. It might be good to do this all the time.

I often do this to check my grip. My son's instructor has him do something similar.

I do not....at least that I’m aware of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Off a good lie in the fairway, no

But if the ball is in a bunker then you can't ground your club so I will adjust my grip based on my stance whilst hovering the club, and the same in the rough, I will set my grip with the club off the ground

I've actually never put my club on the ground before gripping it.

I don't ever ground the club before gripping it either. I also have the same grips throughout my bag and set my grip in the same position before every stock shot. It's just a way to take a variable out of the equation for any given shot.

I think I do both but I've never really thought about it before! Maybe I should!!!

I take my left hand grip while I am behind the ball based on my desired bAll flight. I put my right hand in the grip as I am moving from behind the ball to beside the ball. Grip is taken well before club goes behind the ball

my initial left hand grip is while club is down. Then I pick up waist high or higher to set both hands. And honestly my pro taught me to sort of aim with the club head while holding out about waist height before even stepping in kind of like a batter might aim the bat before he actually steps in to the box. In fact he refers to the address position as a batters box where as we step in. We aim , then step in, aim again now with club down behind ball and eyes somewhat behind club head but have not settled feet in yet. Only then its settle feet in to match alignment of club head. So yes, I take club up to grip and not only grip but use that in my whole process to align, setup, and eventually step in. Plus you get to relax and feel the club head via the grip while holding out in front of me. It just settles the whole body into the feel of the club and makes it all one with the arms and hands in a relaxed place.

my initial left hand grip is while club is down. Then I pick up waist high or higher to set both hands. And honestly my pro taught me to sort of aim with the club head while holding out about waist height before even stepping in kind of like a batter might aim the bat before he actually steps in to the box. In fact he refers to the address position as a batters box where as we step in. We aim , then step in, aim again now with club down behind ball and eyes somewhat behind club head but have not settled feet in yet. Only then its settle feet in to match alignment of club head. So yes, I take club up to grip and not only grip but use that in my whole process to align, setup, and eventually step in. Plus you get to relax and feel the club head via the grip while holding out in front of me. It just settles the whole body into the feel of the club and makes it all one with the arms and hands in a relaxed place.

I'm gonna start doing this.
I'll practice so that it won't be a slow pre-shot routine.
All of the shots that I do this way turn out better.
Thanks

I twirl the club in my hand a few times and it settles in my palm where it feels right. I actually can't hit clubs that don't settle in my hand with a good feel. I never ever align my hand to the face angle is a conscious way. even when I open the face I just bounce it open in my hands till it feels right.

I find it easier to manipulate my swing than hold the club in a way that feels "off"

I hold the club in my right hand horizontal to the ground with the grip pointed at my belt buckle and then take my grip with my left hand. I do this everytime I hit a shot, even at the range. I want to make sure I put my hands on the club the same way every time.

I'm gonna start doing this.
I'll practice so that it won't be a slow pre-shot routine.
All of the shots that I do this way turn out better.
Thanks
as per my pro....I was practicing this at home, whenever time at work, wherever. He wouldn't even move past this as for anything with the swing till I practice this and got it down. As said, the logic is...no sense in trying to obtain a more consistent swing if the foundation of the swing before you even begin the swing isn't consistent.
Just sharing this is all fwiw to anyone.

As for time to do it. Its not all a slow time consuming thing. But there is a bit more too it than what I mentioned cause he taught me how he wants me to step in. A process I suppose, but only in words. In reality the whole thing becomes efficient time wise and not any detriment at all.

as per my pro.

Interesting how pros teach you to do different things based in your needs. My routine started because I was hitting pulls and pull hooks. My instructor had me hold the club in front of me with the grip to tee left and head to the right so I could see that the clubface was set correctly and then put my left hand in the grip with the back of my hand parallel to the ground. The gave me a consistent clubface and hand position. I could rotate the clubface open or closed depending on **** shape. But I always had my hand parallel. Obviously this was my need and it works for me so I don't know if it is the best solution for someone else

i usually always have my club up out in front of me when i first set my hands in alignment. then once the club is behind the ball i'll interlock and swing away. I to used to have some major issues with twisting the club in all sorts of weird ways when gripping on the ground.

I was taught to take my grip before grounding the club and to make it part of my pre-shot routine. I have my grip when I'm behind the ball picking my intermediate target. It's an easy way to eliminate one of the variables in the golf swing.

If I recall, I hold the club with the head on the ground with the grip in my left hand next to my left hip/waist and take a grip that feels like a handshake. then I lift the clubhead off the ground slightly, bring the grip to my middle and set my right hand. The clubhead is like inches off the ground, nowhere near waist level.

Back