Taylormade P790 worth the upgrade???

Chopper81

Reaction score
Handicap
8.4 WHS
I currently game Taylormade PSI 4-PW with KBS C-Taper in them, really been thinking about the P790 and what it would offer over my PSI.
Started the year an 10.6 HCP now down to 9.0 HCP, feel I have all my iron distances dialled in, and I can control the flights but the P790 has created an itch.

Anyone have any experience of the two irons?

Thanks

Can't yet speak from hands on experience but I, too, play PSI KBS C-Taper, 5-AW. I've really enjoyed these clubs and have, like you, gone from 11.0 to 9.5 this summer. But, I tested the P790 against the PSI and was astounded at the difference in feel, height, and distance. With several hundred dollars in shop credit from the summer, I ordered my P790 5-AW set with stiff graphite shafts. Unfortunately, they're backordered until late Nov. I can't get over how good a flush hit feels.

I'll let you know when I've played mine a few rounds.

I currently game Taylormade PSI 4-PW, but the P790 has created an itch.
Thanks

Make the switch...TM irons with 'face slots' are a ticking time bomb!...:bomb:

Thanks the bank manager is rubbing his hands together, how do you find the looks between the two sets? At address that is?
I can't find the irons anywhere locally yet!

Also no issues with face slots on my PSI in 18 months and I play at least twice a week all year.

Thanks the bank manager is rubbing his hands together, how do you find the looks between the two sets? At address that is?
I can't find the irons anywhere locally yet!

Also no issues with face slots on my PSI in 18 months and I play at least twice a week all year.

The P790 looks a touch smaller and less offset at address vs the PSI, beyond that the clubs felt similar 3-7 with the PSI spinning more and flying with a more penetrating trajectory. The PSI scoring clubs launched lower and spun more than the P790. Feel wise they both felt muted on the 3-7, PSI felt a bit better on the scoring clubs.

The sets play different, not night and day but the PSI in general were easier to score with for my game, the P790 floated the ball a bit more from shot to shot. On my miss, thin shots, the P790 did launch better.

Overall I think the Ping i200, Srixon z765, or Apex CF16/Pro were better overall sets of clubs for my game.

Looks wise, the P790 are super sexy in person though.

That's intriguing, I like the sound of smaller and prettier looking, but not less spin and floaty shots!?
Tried Ping i200 loved them but not the cavity poking out the back from 6 onwards, don't like the Callys, and the Srixons are beauts but haven't hit them!
I've always loved TM irons and had, R7, R11, SLDR, Rocketbladez and PSI so P790 will need a hit soon!

Back