Improvement problems

Dave G

Reaction score
Handicap
28.2 USGA
This probably won't be much of a thread, but more of an observation.

Prior to playing, I like others, played the range. After getting my swing I recorded my different shots and their distances.
I just finished my 7th 9 hole round. I've gone from a 22 over par to a 12 over. The problem (be it a good one) is that on the last round I was consistently over shooting all of my target because my swing has improved. The other problem is psychological. I knew what was wrong but failed to correct it. So, my score went up :-(
I'm finding that in learning this game, I have to recognize both problems and improvements that result in the overall game outcome. This is the first activity I can remember where improvement costs you in the game.
Oh well, back to the range to re-record some new distances.

This probably won't be much of a thread, but more of an observation.

Prior to playing, I like others, played the range. After getting my swing I recorded my different shots and their distances.
I just finished my 7th 9 hole round. I've gone from a 22 over par to a 12 over. The problem (be it a good one) is that on the last round I was consistently over shooting all of my target because my swing has improved. The other problem is psychological. I knew what was wrong but failed to correct it. So, my score went up :-(
I'm finding that in learning this game, I have to recognize both problems and improvements that result in the overall game outcome. This is the first activity I can remember where improvement costs you in the game.
Oh well, back to the range to re-record some new distances.

You're doing great if your shooting under 100 (18 hole equivalent) with that little time under your belt. When I was young I played most Sunday's with an older guys group. They'd all played for years and rarely broke 100. Your brain has to act as a computer over every single shot. There's a lot of info to process. On top of that I don't think I've ever played with a beginner that ever gets past pin high. Most beginners use their absolute "smashed it one time" distance to figure out their iron distance. Throw in that most courses aren't real accurate with their measurements (with them always listing it as more than it actually is) so that "150 yard 9 iron" that they once hit only actually went 135. Sounds like you're on the right path, keep it up!

Actually you are on the right track. Being long or in the back of the green on approach beats being short any day. Most beginners and high handicappers usually come up short on their approach shots. Stick with the habit of shooting to the back of the green and learn to love downhill putts you’ll be moving up to the next level very soon.

Most greens are protected by all kinds of hazards bunkers, water, steep hills and so on. Back of the green, however much less trouble go there and if you miss your next shots are statistically easier than missing short.

While I hate the idea of trying to go long it is a sign of better playing. A lot of old school courses it is way worse to be long though. There is one I play where if you are above the hole you are just better off throwing the ball off the front of the green since it is going to end up there anyways.

I went to the range today and confirmed that all my irons now have a consistent 20 yard increase. Before, I was back swinging too far which was causing me to bend my left elbow which then caused me to not get under the ball. I've corrected that and the better contact was causing the over shots.
I eyeball the distance because GPS here does not always work. Some day I'll get a laser rangefinder.
We play twice a week so Monday I'll see how close my new measurements are.

I also talked to my instructor about my inability to use the 3wood in the fairway. He recommended that I stick to the 5 wood and.only use.the.3 when I have a uphill lie. That could shave off a couple more strokes.

Last edited:
Played a back 9 today that I'd never played before. Irons we're much better. No more Overshooting. It was probably the most difficult 9 that I've played and I shot my best score ever. My USGA 9 hole score was 11.85 and that was with 3 putts that stopped 2" short.

Back