Audrey Leishman (Marc's Wife) Blog on President's Cup

fupresti

Former Big Deal
Reaction score
Handicap
Marriage
Well said and she absolutely makes some great points.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well, it was definitely...interesting.

Some fans are idiots yes but I have no problem at all with what Berger or Chamblee said or how team USA approached the match. Kind of seems like sour grapes to me for a squad that got absolutely destroyed.

I wonder what she would have blogged if the Int'l's smoked the US Team, just wondering

Interesting read and raises lots of good points. It is hard to avoid the "war" descriptions in competition. It has been something that I have thought about since Winslow Jr's rant about "I'm a soldier" in the Tampa Bay locker room years ago. No you aren't and unless you are in boxing/MMA you really aren't "fighing" for victory but it is what it is.

I dislike the cheering of missed putts, I abhor booing unless it is for the way someone is behaving, but this is supposed to have some rivalry to it correct? If it was a close match would it have been more acceptable for the way Berger and others on the US talked about their matches?

I found it very interesting to listen to Adam Scott after his Sunday singles match and he was very candid that the international side needed to look at what the Americans were doing and get more heavily invested in this competition.

So maybe there is a sweet spot in between both approaches that would be ideal?

I will say, it fascinates me how emotional we have become as a society.

I get her points, I do, I may not agree but I get them, but she loses me at the Chamblee part though, that is reaching.

Interesting read and raises lots of good points. It is hard to avoid the "war" descriptions in competition. It has been something that I have thought about since Winslow Jr's rant about "I'm a soldier" in the Tampa Bay locker room years ago. No you aren't and unless you are in boxing/MMA you really aren't "fighing" for victory but it is what it is.

I dislike the cheering of missed putts, I abhor booing unless it is for the way someone is behaving, but this is supposed to have some rivalry to it correct? If it was a close match would it have been more acceptable for the way Berger and others on the US talked about their matches?

I found it very interesting to listen to Adam Scott after his match and he was very candid that the international side needed to look at what the Americans were doing and get more heavily invested in this competition.

So maybe there is a sweet spot in between both approaches that would be ideal?

Exactly what the US had to do with the Ryder Cup a couple of years back.

Exactly what the US had to do with the Ryder Cup a couple of years back.

Exactly. I agree with some of her points, but this is a competition that is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT so how can you get so offended by people having a good time? If your husband and the other internationals weren't offended by any of it, than she shouldn't be either, but that is just my opinion man.

I don't necessarily agree with everything she pointed-out. I have never been one to yell some of the ummm... childish/boorish/rude things during a golf tournament, if I am fortunate enough to be watching, in-person. I could do without that. The comment by Chamblee happened well before the tragedy in Las Vegas; sorry Mrs. Lieshman, that's a real stretch to create the link you're looking for.

In general, I do wish fans attending golf events showed a bit more decorum with some of the idiotic sayings/insults/etc. However, they should absolutely cheer "for" their team. If their team wins a hole or a match because the other team misses a putt, or shanks a wedge, or whatever, that's just the way it is.

As long as people aren't yelling during people's swing or yelling vulgar stuff I'm all for booing and cheering when they miss a putt. I'm at a Rangers game and a Yankees batter strikes out or makes an error people cheer. That's sports. If you don't want the opposing fans to boo at you for missing a putt, make the freakin putt. When it comes to these team events like the Ryder Cup it's treated differently than a regular tournament. This 100% sounds like sour grapes.

Its a bit too emotional, in my opinion. However, it shines some light on what the international side sees. This kind of stuff seems more acceptable in the Ryder Cup, but it doesn't fly as well in the Presidents Cup because the international team isn't as invested in the idea of a team event as the American side. I don't remember the international side being as... vocal... to the US players 2 years ago in Korea, even though it was a close race. This event will continue to be broken until both sides invest similarly.

Its a bit too emotional, in my opinion. However, it shines some light on what the international side sees. This kind of stuff seems more acceptable in the Ryder Cup, but it doesn't fly as well in the Presidents Cup because the international team isn't as invested in the idea of a team event as the American side. I don't remember the international side being as... vocal... to the US players 2 years ago in Korea, even though it was a close race. This event will continue to be broken until both sides invest similarly.

I agree.

And to me, I take what is sadly now considered an old school approach in there era of everyone is a winner for trying, if you don't like getting beat? Do something about it.

I find the self righteousness funny. As someone who has traveled and lived in Europe for extended periods the amount of ridicule and scorn for our Government and its policies I have endured is large. I would come down off the high horse and recognize we all have our faults, we all our loud and either grow a set and deal with it or put a pacifier in your mouth.

I agreed with her on the point about spectators yelling get in the water. That's BS and shouldn't be tolerated. That seems to come more from the person who just wants to be a clown at an event.

The rest though.. Sour grapes.

ridiculous. the ryder cup atmosphere can get so much worse on both sides of the pond. and to my knowledge our guys are just as gracious to the opposing side's heckling fans. marc seems to be a genuinely nice dude and maybe his wife has too thin of skin. but i'm angry at myself for wasting my time on such inane drivel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't have issues with the crowd. Heck golf is no longer a sport just for country club type folks.....it is a game that everyone can enjoy.

I agreed with her on the point about spectators yelling get in the water. That's BS and shouldn't be tolerated. That seems to come more from the person who just wants to be a clown at an event.

The rest though.. Sour grapes.

This about where I'm at too. I don't like things like booing for good shots and yelling things like get in the water (I'm not offended by them, but I don't like them). But, in my mind, Berger summed up precisely the attitude you should have in a team event, and Brandel Chamblee was just doing his job. Sure, maybe he used a metaphor that he wouldn't have chosen if he would have known what was to come on Monday, but the point he was making was valid and appropriate. And, honestly, I guess I can't see ever being offended in the slightest by comments like "bloomin' onion" and "avocado." Would I roll my eyes, and think that the person was an idiot? Definitely. But those comments don't seem to me to even approach the line of inappropriate, much less cross it.

Exactly. I agree with some of her points, but this is a competition that is supposed to be ENTERTAINMENT so how can you get so offended by people having a good time? If your husband and the other internationals weren't offended by any of it, than she shouldn't be either, but that is just my opinion man.

I think there's a line that can be drawn between people "having a good time" and supporting their team vs. being derogatory/offensive to the athletes that are playing in the event. Ryder Cup and President's Cup tends to bring that out unlike other events in golf because they are team events.

I think there's a line that can be drawn between people "having a good time" and supporting their team vs. being derogatory/offensive to the athletes that are playing in the event. Ryder Cup and President's Cup tends to bring that out unlike other events in golf because they are team events.

I agree, but why point out people drinking at 7am? Not really my cup of tea, but to each their own. As I mentioned, if the players themselves don't have a problem with it (and maybe they are or are not) than I don't think anyone else should.

She has that Berger quote at the beginning - honestly, in the context of competition, I have zero problem with something like that. Especially from all reports, the two teams were getting along and hanging out during the tournament.

As for the spectators - I feel like there has been a bit of frustration brewing for some of the international players with stuff being shouted at them during tournaments. We were at the Deutsche Bank when Stenson was up against Fowler, and honestly the crowd was out of line with stuff like Wardy brought up above.

I really don't like this part of it as I think it's totally unfair.

After the first day, the Internationals were obviously down. I was watching the Golf Channel and heard Brandel Chamblee say, “If you’re Captain Nick Price, what do you do when you’re looking at a massacre?” Well, Mr. Chamblee, after the devastating tragedy in Vegas this week- I want to ask you: Was that kind? Necessary? True? I don’t think it improved upon the silence.

At the end of the day were all fans respectful? Probably not. The get int he water guy is just another one of those fools who yells mashed potatoes. Even though it's still golf, it's such a different atmosphere when its team play vs individual. It brings it a much more team oriented fanbase in terms of cheering and jeering.

I really don't see where a little Nationalism is out of place in events like these. Maybe she's just defending her loved one who she thought wasn't being treated fairly. Odd but understandable!

My only issue was with the "speak English" line. But not shocking considering our political climate.

My only issue was with the "speak English" line. But not shocking considering our political climate.

It was a comment made by one person, not the masses. People suck as we all know but this person sucks even more. Those "speak English" comments were being made in this country well before Trump took office, esp. in the south.

Back