SSG Paladin's Totally Off the Books Military Thread

Paladin

Otter be golfing
Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
OK, so the Challenge Coin thread got me thinking that there are a lot of veterans, service members, and others here on the site, and most all of us have brought with us our own traditions, norms, and experience to THP (yet another part of what makes this an awesome community). So I figured this is a chance to put all the military scuttlebutt in one place. It's been a wild week as it is...we got females graduating Ranger School, Airmen & reservists stopping terrorists in France, and retired Generals choking out the Chinese food delivery guy.

Not intending for this thread to get too serious, mostly just a chance to shoot the breeze over places you've been or funny military memes you've come across. Let's avoid cross-service bashing, or talking trash about our international partners. If it happens to work out that you know a great place for food at Ft. Riley or the best place to go for golf stuff near Davis-Monthan, so much the better.

October 23rd, 1983. Never forget. Learn from the past. Every man tried.

Subscribed!

JM

My favorite trending on FB and Twitter right now is the pic of the Airman that says "On leave and captured more terrorists that the TSA"

October 23rd, 1983. Never forget. Learn from the past. Every man tried.

Subscribed!

JM

Forgive my ignorance, but what happened? Google was no help on this.

I'll keep this one short. We get called on alert for Rwanda. Btn Cmdr calls a formation, gives us the speech and tells us we're jumping in. HOO-AAAH. 48 hours later, he calls another formation, gives us another speech, then tells us we are not jumping in. The Hutu's and the Tutsi's have never seen things come from the sky and they all carry machetes. He let that visual sink in for a bit. And, for the most part, we were all pretty glad that we were not jumping in.

I have so much respect for all of you that serve or have served. I never was able to. I wanted to go into the Marines (wanted to play drums in the Marine Corps band something fierce), but that never worked out.

I worked for a while on NAS Pt Mugu years ago before the merger with the CB base in Hueneme, as a civilian doing aircraft maintenance. They had some F-4's that flew out of there that were so awesome to see. They were also hella loud. haha Was an interesting time working out there.

Im just gonna say , Thank You to everyone who post there experiences in this thread. You guys are all hero's to me !

I want one. Pretty remarkable that we can from the HMMWV to the L-ATV in terms of communication, armor, and weapons. I remember welding steel plates to HMMWV doors and welding a GPS antenna into place on the roof of HMMWV's and M113's. Also, a diesel-electric drivetrain available, or as I like to call it, the Caterpillar Drive (stolen from the Red October). An option to drive an night with no engine rumble? Sounds good to me.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/meet-the-l-atv-the-u-s-militarys-official-humvee-replacement/

Oshkosh-Defense-Joint-Light-Tactical-Vehicle-PLACEMENT-626x382.jpg

I have so much respect for all of you that serve or have served. I never was able to. I wanted to go into the Marines (wanted to play drums in the Marine Corps band something fierce), but that never worked out.

I worked for a while on NAS Pt Mugu years ago before the merger with the CB base in Hueneme, as a civilian doing aircraft maintenance. They had some F-4's that flew out of there that were so awesome to see. They were also hella loud. haha Was an interesting time working out there.

The Marine Corps band is something impressive! I saw them at 8th and I (HQ Marine Corps) on July 4th, 1986 along with the Silent Drill Team for Evening Parade. Blew me away. Such an amazing performance. Want to go back and see it again some day.

Marine Band is unbelievable. My college wind ensemble got to sit in on one of their rehearsals and the precision was incredible. Not to mention they sound amazing!

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

I haven't heard a bad military band before. My barracks during the Q-Course were right down the road from the 82nd Bands facility so I got to hear them quite often. Their chorus is really good too.

The Marine Corps band is something impressive! I saw them at 8th and I (HQ Marine Corps) on July 4th, 1986 along with the Silent Drill Team for Evening Parade. Blew me away. Such an amazing performance. Want to go back and see it again some day.

They really are awesome. It was a dream of mine to perform with them. Was disappointed it didn't happen. I need to see them again sometime.

Ive got 17 years in and while the military has been great for me im getting wore out.
It be nice to actually settle down somewhere

Military brat until I graduated high school. Lives in Mainz, Alaska, Georgia, Upstate NY, Wurtzberg, Heidelberg, and Wiesdbaden. Joined the USAF right out of high school, BMT at Lackland AFD in Texas, shipped to Witchita for tech school, then back to Germany at Geilenkirchen NATO AB. After spending two years there it was off to Dyess AFB in Texas. Made E-5 on my first year of eligibility and then finally got out.

Found-the-Lieutenant.jpg

Re Ft.Riley: Any place good to eat will be in Manhattan.

Privates are dirty. One week of being an aitpsg and I already caught strep from those little Ebola monkeys.

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

Privates are dirty. One week of being an aitpsg and I already caught strep from those little Ebola monkeys.

Yeah it's amazing how much illness goes through during basic and AIT

Yeah it's amazing how much illness goes through during basic and AIT
I was a tech school instructor (I guess that's AIT for you guys??)
Well, every Christmas, all the little turds would go home for the holidays and come back with a mixture of whatever flus and viruses they could muster up from all corners of the country. It was only a matter of time before you caught some unknown crud.

I was a tech school instructor (I guess that's AIT for you guys??)
Well, every Christmas, all the little turds would go home for the holidays and come back with a mixture of whatever flus and viruses they could muster up from all corners of the country. It was only a matter of time before you caught some unknown crud.
Yup, I've been an ait instructor the past two years, and it's the same thing for us. They go home for Christmas, ferment some super bug, and unleash it on the cadre in the middle of January.

Yup, I've been an ait instructor the past two years, and it's the same thing for us. They go home for Christmas, ferment some super bug, and unleash it on the cadre in the middle of January.

That's what you get for waking me up a 3am for a ruck march.:angel:

Fitness is important. Make sure you're working out like the guys you're passing yourself off as at the clubs. (NSFW)

Broken hand.....Take a knee and drink some water. HA! Might pop a few Motrin if you see the medic.

Back