Which putter would you choose?

I would not go with either of those options both lag putting and inside 10' are needed, and if neither filled both bills I would find one that did. I've had the same putter since 2013 which is not that long unless your an internet golfer and I have THP friends who have a open rotation of three putters not giving away names or anything @thinnedit84 :alien: I want it all and expect it out of a putter especially. My putter makes me think get in your home!

Putter A. Gotta have confidence in those short ones. Even if you suck lag putting with it, surely you can get it within 10' most of the time & that puts you in your sweet spot for putter A.

B, we don’t hit close enough to rely on the 10’ comfort zone. You’ll get the feel for putter b within the 10’ zone there by making you a better putter.

More if a curious question. As an instructor You believe it is easier to teach face control in a putting stroke than it is to teach speed control?

More if a curious question. As an instructor You believe it is easier to teach face control in a putting stroke than it is to teach speed control?

Face control is easy. And I say that because you can grip the putter so the face doesn’t move. You can also control the path with a firm grip and shortened stroke.

Speed control comes from practicing. And I don’t mean hours on end at your home course. But taking 10 minutes pre-round and getting the speed of the greens.

I tend to drop 3 balls and putt 10’, 15’ plus and 4’ putts to end the session. My goal is to see the ball roll based on my everyday stroke. I adjust the stroke based on where the ball ends up. If it’s short I give the putter head more speed. If I’m long, I adjust the length of the stroke.

I'd find a different putter that has characteristics of both. Of course I have 30+ putters so I'm still searching!

I would not go with either of those options both lag putting and inside 10' are needed, and if neither filled both bills I would find one that did. I've had the same putter since 2013 which is not that long unless your an internet golfer and I have THP friends who have a open rotation of three putters not giving away names or anything @thinnedit84 :alien: I want it all and expect it out of a putter especially. My putter makes me think get in your home!

Hey now. I putt well with all 3 in rotation. One of these days I’ll settle on one primary use putter. Sometimes you just have to look at something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which putter would you choose?

Face control is easy. And I say that because you can grip the putter so the face doesn’t move. You can also control the path with a firm grip and shortened stroke.

Speed control comes from practicing. And I don’t mean hours on end at your home course. But taking 10 minutes pre-round and getting the speed of the greens.

I tend to drop 3 balls and putt 10’, 15’ plus and 4’ putts to end the session. My goal is to see the ball roll based on my everyday stroke. I adjust the stroke based on where the ball ends up. If it’s short I give the putter head more speed. If I’m long, I adjust the length of the stroke.

Agree 100% with you on speed control. It is easy to learn. And I do something similar to your routine pre round. To clarify, In your last paragraph you say on putts that are short you give the putter more speed and if you are long you change stroke length. Are they different or is speed control always stroke length?

Regarding Face angle, I agree that you can lock in the face to match your hand position. Not sure how a firm grip and shortened stroke prevent you from manipulating the hands and being in to out on one stroke and out to in on the next. Do you advocate a particular approach to putting or a particular putter for everyone? Do you thing a players stroke is influenced by a face balanced putter vs an 8802 style? May be considered a bit off topic, but in think it relates to the line/speed decision the OP is asking about just at a deeper level.

Thanks.

Hey now. I putt well with all 3 in rotation. One of these days I’ll settle on one primary use putter. Sometimes you just have to look at something different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gotta bust your chops I watched you get three birdies on different days with two different putters might not matter what putter you go with when your on :fire: your on :fire: !!!

My initial reaction was to go with putter A but after real reading a couple of responses here I am leaning putter B

Just started playing with odyssey Oworks and sound well so far but still deciding on one thing put in bag for good

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Putter A. I probably just miss more greens from distance than I hit. I'm usually tight with my chipping. I'll play the odds that I just miss a green and chip to inside 10 ft.

For me I can usually lag within 10ft.

Before experiencing it for myself, I'd have said putter A, and pretty emphatically so. But then I suffered with my putter A and I've changed my mind.

My lag putting was so awful that it would end up placing even more pressure upon my 10' and in stroke that I became worse there despite it formerly being a strength with that particular putter.

So my answer is B but with an asterisk, that being, I'd continue to search for another marrying the best of both worlds.

Before experiencing it for myself, I'd have said putter A, and pretty emphatically so. But then I suffered with my putter A and I've changed my mind.

My lag putting was so awful that it would end up placing even more pressure upon my 10' and in stroke that I became worse there despite it formerly being a strength with that particular putter.

So my answer is B but with an asterisk, that being, I'd continue to search for another marrying the best of both worlds.

Haha! My reality is that I am great within 10 and struggle from distance. I've began the search to improve on one while maintaining the other. It's been a slow process as I want to make sure I'm giving each new putter it's fair time to work. I'm going to spend my off season working a Seemore and see if it can stick in the bag next year, if not back to old faithfull and the drawing board.

Putter A. Nothing worse than putting a 3 ft putt for the win and not able to make it in the hole. I make sure that the putter I am using is very good from the 10 ft end range.

Haha! My reality is that I am great within 10 and struggle from distance. I've began the search to improve on one while maintaining the other. It's been a slow process as I want to make sure I'm giving each new putter it's fair time to work. I'm going to spend my off season working a Seemore and see if it can stick in the bag next year, if not back to old faithfull and the drawing board.
My issue was born from technology and ball choice, as strange as that may seem.

I LOVE the Duo-U, best ball off the tee for me by far, so darn accurate. But its incredibly soft feel is a hindrance with my O-Works Tank 7 putter.

Between the muting affect of the tech built into the face and the heft of the putter overall, my distance control is flat-out awful with the Duo-U. Not so with my previous ball, the B330.

Because I prefer ball choice presently over putter, I'm back to the one that I lag very well with, good with intermediate distances, but not as accurate within 10' or so than the O-Works (Rife Two-Bar Tour Mallet).

My issue was born from technology and ball choice, as strange as that may seem.

I LOVE the Duo-U, best ball off the tee for me by far, so darn accurate. But its incredibly soft feel is a hindrance with my O-Works Tank 7 putter.

Between the muting affect of the tech built into the face and the heft of the putter overall, my distance control is flat-out awful with the Duo-U. Not so with my previous ball, the B330.

Because I prefer ball choice presently over putter, I'm back to the one that I lag very well with, good with intermediate distances, but not as accurate within 10' or so than the O-Works (Rife Two-Bar Tour Mallet).

For me, I just know there are 2-3 strokes improvement to squeeze out of my putting and I feel I putt decent. I will find them. My go to is an older Odyssey blade. I know that crazy high moi's like a Cure and spaceship like mallets aren't the answer for me. I'm hoping the consistent setup that the SPi method has to offer helps me find them regardless of the putter I'm using.

B is my choice. 3 putts are the curse of the golf demons and nothing saps my momentum quite like three putting, because it is infectious.

I'd find a different putter that has characteristics of both. Of course I have 30+ putters so I'm still searching!

That made me laugh.

I struggled with this exact problem most of the season. I generally go with putter A as I miss a ton of greens but scramble pretty well.

Back