I hate to be a crybaby...

This guy has 2 arms, but claims to have severe hip pain. Then I saw him do the quick-squat move when a putt lipped out on him (the only thing he missed inside of 10-12 feet) with no pain. Maybe I'm being too much of a whiner on that one, but come on.

For the record, I was pretty pumped over an 80. It was by far the best golf I've managed this year. I'm glad I didn't do it before I played him though, I would have had to give him one more stroke on the front and I would have been out after 12 holes.

I cant remember the odds of shooting 5 or more strokes lower than ur handicap but its high and when u shoot more than that its astronomical. U have a right to be mad imo

This is why I don't like handicapped events. Horrible people are going to be horrible people, both on the course and outside of it. For those people, winning is more important than the game itself.

Last time I entered such an event, I (playing from 21) got destroyed by a guy claiming to be a 25hcp. He had a score of 85, where his handicap allowed him to shoot 100. I shot a pretty good 92, which was 3 under what my handicap states I should shoot, but didn't even stand a chance.

I still enter events occasionally. but just to have fun playing golf. I'm not even paying attention to my opponents anymore. I just enjoy the moment on the course, and if it's enough to win, great, if it isn't, great.

No doubt it happens, but one reason it doesn't get pointed out is that scores get compressed as you move toward scratch. A 22 shoots 83 for a net 61. That gets eyes. A 4 shoots 72 for a net 68. Not nearly as crazy (nor does it seem entirely unlikely, though it should be very rare).

I'd also say it's more difficult to get away with it - a guy who shoots 76 in our group tries to post 80, I'm going to notice. A guy who shoots 94 posts 98, I'm not going to know he shot 94 or 98. You can hide an extra stroke easier.

But, anyone can game the system if they want. No way around it.

Oh, and your blue face idea is fantastic.

He doesn't have to shoot 76 and post an 80. All he has to do miss a couple putts and a couple chips or send a tee shot astray or any combo to actually shoot the 80 on purpose to keep his cap up just a tad and who will ever notice. Do this enough times and instead of being a 6 cap he's a 9. Now instead of having to give lets say 8 strokes to a competitor he only has to give 5.

So now you have the other guy who is honest and should be getting the 8 strokes is only getting 5. He plays very well but never got the 8 he deserved and loses anyway.

The whole thing just sucks for everyone at any level. I just cant be this way and I also am not one to accuse when there is doubt. Its often perhaps a fault of mine and can lead to being taken advantage of but I always give benefit of doubt whenever it is there. That's just the way I am.

I have heard many conversations at golf courses about bagging and people are just miserable over it to the point where playing in events seems like its not even fun anymore. It seems like anyone who wins gets accused. I almost don't even want to get into a local event because god-for-bid should I shoot a PB or close to it for both the weekend rounds. I even asked the guys at the pro shop one day about this as I contemplated possible joining an event and the answer I got was "well,..... if someone did that two rounds in a row it would be frowned upon"
I mean why do I even want to bother. These guys no me by face and a number of them by name just from always playing as a single. All of a sudden should I play an event and happen to post some of my best golf I'll be like a different person to them? I'm one the most honest people you could meet. This whole atmosphere caused by cheaters is terrible and placing guilt via innuendo is just as terrible. Those that wrongfully blame are imo just as bad for the game as those who actuall cheat. Ya know what? Blue faces for both people.

I like when I hear of events and competitions where only ones competition rounds are used for detrminign their cap. But not everyone plays in many competitions and/or on-going leagues and such. So that's not possible to do for all the players who just pop up for the one or two events a season. I was warming up yesterday and two guys were going on about sandbagging for like a half hour and still even after I left for my round they were still going on in the distance. . It was nothing but cursing and unhappiness and frustrations. I heard it before but its then I just realized, why would I ever want to get involved in this garbage. It doesn't sound like fun. If I win I'd automatically be a bagger and if I don't win I'd here everyone else complaining about whoever does. It just doesn't sound like fun. Blue faces for everyone

my buddies and i got a chuckle out of a potential handicap-situation that could have come up last week. i'm a 9.5, and we played a course where i got 12 strokes. for our morning round, i played lights out, shooting 77, a full 7 strokes better. that afternoon we played in a men's game. my buddy is a new member at this course, and he was bringing me and another guy along for the fun. imagine the "new guys" show up and clean everyone's clocks! we'd get run out of that place rounder's binghamton style. i just happened to have a wonderful round. so yes, it can definitely happen. and i also wonder whether the guy who always wins is just great and more focused during competition. i know plenty of golfers who putz around on the course for fun, but you put a few bucks on the line or some pride, and they focus and play much better than a casual round.

ultimately, i say let the guy cheat and just go out and have fun. if you can't have fun because of this guy, don't play in any events with this guy. life's too short.

In the past month, I have shot 79, 81, 85 twice, and 91 on the same course. 79 was a PB, 91 was not really unusual (happens every so often ). Used to play in scramble events. Never won. Our member - guest format was changed to 6 holes of better ball, 6 holes of scramble and 6 holes of alternate shot. Was flighted. This stopped some of the sandbaggers.

He doesn't have to shoot 76 and post an 80. All he has to do miss a couple putts and a couple chips or send a tee shot astray or any combo to actually shoot the 80 on purpose to keep his cap up just a tad and who will ever notice.
Absolutely true. And I'm sure it happens.

It seems like anyone who wins gets accused.

This is definitely true, and it's too bad. When you have a guy who just has a good day(s) and nets at a couple under par and wins, he can get tarred.

My club is pretty tough on caps - the groups will report all scores all the time for those who play regularly and they hold each other accountable. It's great. But, it can't prevent the guy who plays elsewhere or by himself from gaming the system if he wants.

I take an "is what it is" attitude most of the time. I also play in a lot of gross events/flights in the events around here, so it doesn't impact me as much. Men's league and weekend group play are about the only times my cap gets used.

I hear you, not just sandbagging, but outright cheating is a problem also.
Had a group drop 19 under on a best shot tourney the other day. Which included a bizarre eagle on an uphill, sloppy wet, 660 yard par 5, into a 15ish mph wind that they also claimed longest putt on. Dustin Johnson could not have gotten to this hole in two...

This is a group we have been paired with before, and couldn't break 10 under on an easier course in perfect conditions...

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Not cool. Red tees? What gives with some ppl

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

We had guys in my club with 35 handicaps shooting low 90's to high 80's on a regular basis so what we did was make it so your handicap for the league was based off of you last 5 league scores. It cut down on a lot of the crazy scores we would see and everyone has been extremely happy about it.

If someone needs to cheat to win something then that is their sad problem and I would try to forget about it

I saw a stableford score earlier in the year that I found hard to believe of 50 points which, if my maths is correct, works out at someone shooting 14 shots better than their handicap!?!? That would be the equivalent of me shooting a level par round...

Every time a thread like this pops up it occurs to me that sandbagging is prevalent everywhere there is Golf.

There HAS to be a way (honesty aside) to bring it to an end once and for all.

Every time a thread like this pops up it occurs to me that sandbagging is prevalent everywhere there is Golf.

There HAS to be a way (honesty aside) to bring it to an end once and for all.

I think it's easy. There are some scores that are so mathematically impossible that they should just be thrown out automatically. If you're an 18 handicap and shoot in the 70's for example... Scorecard invalid, auto DQ. Yea, maybe 1 in 10000 guys get screwed, but I can live with that

So he played the forward tees for the event. Does he typically play thsee tees? Also, was it verified that he is 'sandbaggin'?

I think it's easy. There are some scores that are so mathematically impossible that they should just be thrown out automatically. If you're an 18 handicap and shoot in the 70's for example... Scorecard invalid, auto DQ. Yea, maybe 1 in 10000 guys get screwed, but I can live with that

Absolutely ok with that. I think. The actual odds of shooting 7 over when ur an 18 is 1,000,000-1. U left off two zeros. I'm not positive about that but maybe someone could confirm

So he played the forward tees for the event. Does he typically play thsee tees? Also, was it verified that he is 'sandbaggin'?

He normally plays the reds.

I've about cooled off enough to talk to the coordinators with a level head about all of this. I'll keep you all posted.

I'd laugh his ass off the course. Red tees pffffffffft

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

That's quite different than establishing a bogus HC then playing tournament golf with said cap putting up ridiculous numbers

I'd laugh his ass off the course. Red tees pffffffffft

That's quite different than establishing a bogus HC then playing tournament golf with said cap putting up ridiculous numbers

Sorry if I mis-took your reply but it sounded like a shot at him only because he hit from the reds.

To each his own

Back