Which putter would you choose?

e1iterate

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
At dinner tonight, we talked about putters as I’ve recently made a switch but I’m considering going back to my old putter and it sparked the struggle I’m dealing with so let me ask THP this question.

Which putter would you game and why?

Putter A: You feel really comfortable from shorter distances with this putter. Let’s say 10 feet or less. You feel good that you hit your lines well and if you miss it’s usually a bad read on your part from that distance. The downside is you have no distance control when lag putting and you put more pressure on yourself and leave putts super short or run it way by due to your lack of speed control.

Putter B: You’re not real comfortable with this putter inside of 10 feet but your speed control with lag putts is outstanding thus making 3 putts less frequent but when you give yourself a good look inside of 10 feet you just struggle to hole it and hit your desired lines.

Which are you gaming?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would opt for putter A. Being $ inside of 10 ft I feel will save more strokes in the long run.

B.

I have to be comfortable from farther out and avoid 3 putts as much as possible.

Sent from my SM-G935R4 using Tapatalk

Give me Putter A. Confidence every time inside 10 feet is clutch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No question. Putter B.

Most of my first putts are from longer than 10 feet. And if I know I am most likely going to two putt from 20 feet, 30 feet and very likely 70 feet, I am taking those odds. If I can put any putt to short distance, I can live with that. I always say that is one area the pros excel. You rarely see them three putt from anywhere on any green, save majors.

Last edited:
Why?

Most of my first putts are from longer than 10 feet. And if I know I am most likely going to two putt from 20 feet, 30 feet and very likely 70 feet, I am taking those odds. If I can put any putt to short distance, I can live with that. I always say that is one area the pros excel. You rarely see them three putt from anywhere on any green, save majors.

Updated my first post with the reason. Totally blew that part of the question.

A.

Confidence and skill inside 10' is huge. Heck. we can practice lag putting and all we have to do is get inside 10'...

Can I drop one club and carry both putters? ?

Putter b. All the golf gurus out there will tell you the way to drop your score is to eliminate 3 putts. I would rather avoid 3 putting and maybe make a putt here or there for birdie than 3 putt multiple holes. It’s so frustrating

Can I drop one club and carry both putters?

I play with a guy who carries 2 putters. A odyssey versa 9 for short putts and a ping craz-e for longer putts.

I also know a guy who carries both a left and right handed putter and will decide on if it’s left to right breaks or vice versa

I would get a new putter. If that is not an option I will go for A I'll take the confidence inside 10 feet.

Putter C
Hit the BST and find a new one?

I play with a guy who carries 2 putters. A odyssey versa 9 for short putts and a ping craz-e for longer putts.

I also know a guy who carries both a left and right handed putter and will decide on if it’s left to right breaks or vice versa

I have never ever heard of that.. Lol wow!

Putter A. If you're not comfortable, it will never work.

Putter A every time, absolutely need confidence on 10 footers and in, I would never choose a putter based on lag putting

Putter B for me. Very rarely is my first putt inside 10 feet. So for my game right now, give me the one that almost guarantees I will get it close on the 1st putt.

Option A and practice my lag putting.

I'm going to go with putter A because it means I'm aligning myself correctly and making a good stroke with that putter, since I'm hitting putts within 10'. I feel like I could work on lag putting with that putter for a while and get better with that one, whereas with the other one I'm not sure that would be the case.

Option C - find a putter that gives you the confidence for both scenarios and ditch the other 2

If I had to choose - Unless you are missing greens and then subsequently chipping it close, I would pick putter B, as how often are you going to stick an approach shot inside 10 feet?

Putter A. The reason is that you said that I am able to hit my line. Now I just need to match speed to that line.

Putter B results indicates I can't control face angle therefore it is the wrong putter for my stroke.

B, we don’t hit close enough to rely on the 10’ comfort zone. You’ll get the feel for putter b within the 10’ zone there by making you a better putter.

Putter A, Its all about inside 10 ft.

Honest question... if you lag it up nice with putter B, and its within 10 ft and you aren't confident for that 10ft and in putt with putter B... then you are back to square one.

Probably putter B. 10 ft. Isn't very long at all and I'd rather not be scared over the majority of my putts.

Back