Another shaft question

Gilbertc13

Mizuno Staffer
Reaction score
Handicap
I’ve searched and cannot find my answer so far on the forum.

So my launch angle is really high. I need to lower it and reduce spin. I was thinking a stiff shaft with a higher kick point (lower launch?). Problem is, I know literally nothing about shafts. Tomorrow I will send pictures of the shafts I have in the fitting cart to select from but am not opposed to ordering a shaft. Just want something decent without breaking the bank

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I was kinda in the same boat. I went and was fitted for the matrix black tie. Works well for me in my m2

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Same here. Then Club Champion fit me into the Oban Devotion and everything worked. Reasonably priced too at $190.

Did you guys have the same problem where the ball would come off the face really nice then balloon way up causing lost distance

Yes, a different shaft could help, but I have seen better results by working on my swing and delivery of the club to the ball (gone from 5K+ to under 3K with some shots being under 2K at times)

Yes, a different shaft could help, but I have seen better results by working on my swing and delivery of the club to the ball (gone from 5K+ to under 3K with some shots being under 2K at times)

Thanks doc, I’m going to experiment with shafts however. Normally I’d be good with making some swing changes but I can’t tinker with that because of my PAT coming up in a little over 2 weeks

Did you guys have the same problem where the ball would come off the face really nice then balloon way up causing lost distance

Yes, my spin numbers and dynamic loft were really high. Obviously a swing issue. However Club Champion fitting is for your swing as there is no way to know what will fit you if and when you change your swing, which is understandable.

Not sure what shaft weight you want - I was surprisingly fit to the Devotion 7 04. The Devotion 6 04 did the job too but I got better dispersion with the heavier shaft.

I see the same thing. I swing fast (up to 100 mph with an iron), but I also tend to release early which is the bigger culprit. At least with a fitting or session on Trackman you can find out if it's more caused by your dynamic loft and attack angle and less by the equipment you are playing. Video may show it somewhat, but may not make it as obvious as radar numbers. Video of me head on looks like I'm not flipping, but just not getting enough shaft lean at impact. That results and several degrees of excessive dynamic loft and a more neutral (-1 to +1) attack angle with an iron. Iron's should be anywhere from -2 to -5 degrees down.

Back