Ball placement when driving?

NEPA_Lefty

Reaction score
Handicap
Usually my driver is one club I'm consistently, consistent with. I either hit it as straight as an arrow or have a "manageable" slice. Sometimes I line up with the ball centered between my 2 feet. Others, it's aligned with my front foots big toe. And sometimes it's between the two I mentioned - I call it 3/4's.
Believe me or not, none of this affects the balls travel. I'll hit straight or a manageable slice no matter where I stand. It just seems like it depends on where I'm comfortable that day. Crazy? Maybe.

If I have a bad day, no position fixes it. I've never taken lessons, but after losing my drive at the end of this year, I'm considering on picking a "standard" and sticking to it if I can.

My question to you is, where do you lign up your ball when using a driver off the tee?

Off my left shoulder. I don't use my feet to gauge ball position much anymore with the driver. I got this tip from Sean Foley. It's still forward in my stance though.

Just off the lead heal, which is probably about in line with the shoulder, and not teed up too high, just a little ball showing above the crown.

And I can't imagine anyone hitting driver consistently well with the ball in the center, that is crazy.

I'm usually a couple balls forward of center. If I want to hit a fade I put it further forward.

Just off the lead heal, which is probably about in line with the shoulder, and not teed up too high, just a little ball showing above the crown.

And I can't imagine anyone hitting driver consistently well with the ball in the center, that is crazy.

I can hit a pretty mean punch draw with my driver in the middle of my stance. It's a low burner but I'm pretty accurate with it. Probably about 30 yards shorter than catching it on the upswing.

Inside left heel maybe an inch or 2 back if I need a decent amount of right to left. Any farther back and I can't hit up on it well so might as well hit 3 wood since hitting down on the driver is a spin monster god awful start low and rise ball flight.

Out in front of my big left toe, teed up so 3/4 of the ball is visible above driver face

This season, I've struggled with this issue more than any other. I've tried it everywhere in my stance all with varying results of crap. Still experimenting, but this was never even a thought for me before this year.

I vary it back (shut down tad)...up front (open up a bit), and tee heights respectively, to favor pushes or high draw pulls (exaggerated) misses that are suited to the holes shape...or in strong side winds too, usually there is no double x type flight the wrong way.

Left ear...

They are usually in my trunk...:act-up:

This is from Hogan's Five Lessons. I first saw it when my dad gave me the book in 1978 for my birthday or Christmas. He said "everything you need to know be a 5 handicap or lower is in this book". He was correct.

fc063310_Hogan-BallPosition.jpeg

This is from Hogan's Five Lessons. I first saw it when my dad gave me the book in 1978 for my birthday or Christmas. He said "everything you need to know be a 5 handicap or lower is in this book". He was correct.

fc063310_Hogan-BallPosition.jpeg
I could never make out what's being taught in that graphic. What's with the grid that doesn't align with the feet or the target line?

Left ear...

This is what I do.
At least I think the ball is positioned in line with my left ear. Tee'd up high.

I still line up my driver/club a little left of center.
If I try to line up the club behind the ball, it causes me to open my shoulders at address.
Then, this causes a big slice.

I could never make out what's being taught in that graphic. What's with the grid that doesn't align with the feet or the target line?

It is showing constant ball position with all clubs just inside the left heel and the stance getting narrower and more open as the lenght of the club goes down. the vertical line is ball position, the horizontal line is the target line.

I line up with my feet together and the ball on the tee centered, then I take a fraction of a step with my front foot, then a much larger one with my back foot. Puts the ball in the same position every time.

Doesn't mean my driving's consistent, but at least ball position is.

An open stance helps produce a steep angle of attack for more backspin... a closed stance helps you to come from the inside with a shallower aoa for less backspin. That's what this grid of stances is designed to produce.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe the graphic is saying that the ball position is consistent (just off the left heel) but what changes is the width of your stance. For the driver, you move your right foot for a wider stance....whereas for a wedge you move your right foot closer to your left. Hope this is what you were looking for.

Dang you left ear people! I thought I'd be the first to mention it. Instead I'll be the first righty ( :) ) to mention. You lefties have it bass ackwards, per usual. Lol!

This was how I was taught about a zillion years ago. I have no idea how legit this guy was, he owned a local driving range that has since closed (way back) and he's also been sent to prison for fraud. I do know that some of the things he taught either work well by default or are legit ways to teach things. I have a blossoming Jr golfer in my house and I've taught him many of the things I learned prior as well. Don't worry, I have professional help scheduled for the spring of next year for him, hopefully he'll be able to learn the difference between legit instruction and me just telling him "grip and rip, son... grip and rip".

Back