Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

I'd love to own this driver but the only way that will happen is if I make the Grand Daddy team and it's part of the equipment option. Dreamers can dream!

I finally gave the GBB a good trial. Hit it with kuro kage stiff, set to S/N 9° head, APW directly behind the driver name on the sole. What can I say? WOW! Unbelievably forgiving and provided great numbers. I hit about 15 balls at pga store. Avg 15 ish launch with avg 2100 spin and avg 280 ish carry. The shaft felt just a tad loose but not overly so. According to the monitor I was between 110 and 113 SS. I'll be ordering one of these too :)

It was pretty amazing. I'm a bit leary of the numbers because that doesn't always translate to the course. What jumped out at me was the forgiveness. I hit some pretty bad strikes and they still provided the above average. It was like magic
#Validation
#NotaSpinnyHead
#OrderNOWKang

#Validation
#NotaSpinnyHead
#OrderNOWKang
Dude I was getting some at 15 launch and 1900 spin, 160 ball speed. #jawdrop

#Validation
#NotaSpinnyHead
#OrderNOWKang

James, quick question and not trying to troll you: what is it about comments regarding "spin" that seem to run you the wrong way? I know when I first go into golf, spin was like a four letter word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm happy to see so many get out and demo this before it drops. My fitter got the new Callaway line this past week and I easily hit over 300 balls between my current XR, the GBB and the 816DBD. I'll keep the GBB the focus but WOW. How can they keep bringing in better performing gear like they do. Compared to the other drivers and the Ping G30 LS tech, I had the fastest clubhead speed and highest average smash factor with the GBB. My fitter was curious and had me hit the Ping because he felt the GBB was like the g30 on crack lol.

I've been gaming the XR head for most of the year courtesy of Callaway #TheKing. The GBB gave me higher ball speeds, same smash factor and overall 6-8 yards more carry. Also had about had about 2-3 more MPH of clubhead speed consistently. This was with the same shaft. XR gave me 270 average carry, GBB gave me 278. What was interesting was the GBB's spin was around 2800-3000, the XR was about 2000-2200. But i was getting more carry and total yards maxing out at 29 with the GBB #sometimesSpinhelps lol.

Now I have no idea if it was just me or not, but I slid the weight at the fade setting because my general ball flight is a draw and sometimes I over-cook it. I noticed that it completely offset my draw for a straighter ball flight but increased my spin to 3000. When I slid the weight all the way to full draw, It added about another 10 yards of draw but lowered my spin and increased my total distance by like 2 yards. Like I said I've not seen any associated comments from the reviews to suggest that's supposed to happen but i found it interesting and VERY cool that the sliding weight really worked.

The GBB gave me some great results and it took me all week and a lot of golf balls to make my decision between the GBB and the 816DBD. Ultimately I went with the 816 DBD because I was able to counter my low toe miss and get more total yardage...I'll save that for the other thread though :).

Great driver and DON'T sleep on the 3 wood...she's no joke.

Edit: Sound and feedback is SOOO much better with the GBB and the 816 when compared to ANY release from all manufactures last year. I know that's subjective but the ball feels like its just bouncing off the face and the sounds is so pure and non-shotgun like lol.

I am curious, If moving away from the Gravity Core (from the Alpha 815 to the GBB) is more of a discovery that the Gravity Core's adjustment isn't as necessary with the tech that is put forth in the GBB?

It looks like the Core went from being in the harder to hit BBA, then into the easier to hit Alpha 815, and now back into the harder to hit model. Is the adjustability from the gravity core just not as beneficial unless you are a better golfer with more consistent contact?

Think of it this way, with the weight placement in the sole of the GBB it is essentially a gravity core in the DOWN position. This can be done because thanks to the APW the CG is also pulled backwards, low and back will make it playable for a LOT of people. Its not a slight on the gravity core at all.

Also, you may peak back in the early parts of the thread because Finley has come good comments on this as well.

James, quick question and not trying to troll you: what is it about comments regarding "spin" that seem to run you the wrong way? I know when I first go into golf, spin was like a four letter word.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dude, my job is to answer Q's, you asking them isn't trolling! No worries!

Spin doesn't run m the wrong way, I just fully believe that it is so misunderstood on the internet IMO that its not even funny. Everyone FLOCKS to ultra low because of things like the 17/1700 campaign and the facts are some golfers really benefit from a little more spin. My issue here has been that everyone who is afraid of spin automatically disregarded the GBB from the start in favor of the DBD because it is billed directly as a low spin monster. Where the reality here is like myself and JB have been talking about, the head lends itself to a LOT of spin profiles and swings thanks to the shaft and weight options.

Think of it this way, with the weight placement in the sole of the GBB it is essentially a gravity core in the DOWN position. This can be done because thanks to the APW the CG is also pulled backwards, low and back will make it playable for a LOT of people. Its not a slight on the gravity core at all.

Also, you may peak back in the early parts of the thread because Finley has come good comments on this as well.

Dude, my job is to answer Q's, you asking them isn't trolling! No worries!

Spin doesn't run m the wrong way, I just fully believe that it is so misunderstood on the internet IMO that its not even funny. Everyone FLOCKS to ultra low because of things like the 17/1700 campaign and the facts are some golfers really benefit from a little more spin. My issue here has been that everyone who is afraid of spin automatically disregarded the GBB from the start in favor of the DBD because it is billed directly as a low spin monster. Where the reality here is like myself and JB have been talking about, the head lends itself to a LOT of spin profiles and swings thanks to the shaft and weight options.

This part is so true. Many people don't realize that for example someone with a SS of 90-105 has optimal spin between 2100-2900.

There was a demo day at my course today and I had a "fitting" appointment. They only had the stock shafts, but we compared it to my current driver (TM R7 460, a classic).

I'm a fairly high spin player. I tried out pretty much every offering this year so far and the only driver I hit with consistent sub-3000 spin was the Cobra Fly-Z+ weight forward (averaged ~2300). My R7 produced an average of 4500-5000 today (ouch), and my average with the GBB was ~2600 with the Rogue 60 I/O Stiff. My average swing speed was 106-107 and average ball speed was just below 160, so my smash factor was almost perfect, confirmed by the rep (we were on Trackman). Launch angle was ~13 degrees at 10.5. The Rogue shaft was definitely the best feeling for me, beating out the Speeder 665 Evo II.

Anyway the bottom line is the GBB is the real deal. I might have hit the Fly-Z+ slightly farther (GBB was 2nd overall for me his year), but dispersion and feel go to the GBB. And we didn't tinker much with the sliding weight either due to time, so I'm sure I can even do better. I am also confident the Rogue shaft is a good fit.

My rep didn't really pay much attention to distance, so I don't really have distance numbers. He did tell me I went over the 300 mark on a few, which is astonishing to me.

TL;DR I am bagging this driver.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Last edited:
There was a demo day at my course today and I had a "fitting" appointment. They only had the stock shafts, but we compared it to my current driver (TM R7 460, a classic).

I'm a fairly high spin player. I tried out pretty much every offering this year so far and the only driver I hit with consistent sub-3000 spin was the Cobra Fly-Z+ weight forward (averaged ~2300). My R7 produced an average of 4500-5000 today (ouch), and my average with the GBB was ~2600 with the Rogue 60 I/O Stiff. My average swing speed was 106-107 and average ball speed was near 160, so my smash factor was almost perfect. The rep said as such. The Rogue shaft was definitely the best feeling for me, beating out the Speeder 665 Evo II.

Anyway the bottom line is the GBB is the real deal. I might have hit the Fly-Z+ slightly farther (GBB was 2nd overall for me his year), but dispersion and feel go to the GBB. And we didn't tinker much with the sliding weight either due to time, so I'm sure I can even do better. I am also confident the Rogue shaft is a good fit.

My rep didn't really pay much attention to distance, so I don't really have distance numbers. He did tell me I went over the 300 mark on a few, which is astonishing to me.

TL;DR I am bagging this driver.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Great stuff!

I love this part right here. I was definitely on that bandwagon and mis-informed about spin. I was trying to base choices on low sping but my fitter explained why sometimes spin is your friend and helps you keep the ball in the air longer. The GBB had 300-600 RPMS more spin for me than my current XR yet it was about 10 yards longer with tighter dispersion. Very forgiving. Only reason i went with the 816 DBD was because some cool things happened when I put the core low on the toe :act-up:

The early reports from some of you guys have really gotten my interest. I love my BB 815 but I'm going to have to give the GBB some swings. Didn't plan on buying a new driver but this may be too good to pass up.

I'll preface this by saying I'm most excited to try the GBB over the DBD, but spin wise I've always been high with a driver. I've been known to throw up over 4,500 (is that high?) on some heads. Do you think the GBB can bring down that high of spin with the right combo?

I'll preface this by saying I'm most excited to try the GBB over the DBD, but spin wise I've always been high with a driver. I've been known to throw up over 4,500 (is that high?) on some heads. Do you think the GBB can bring down that high of spin with the right combo?

I can't answer that, it all comes back to the individual, ya know? Plus, no driver will fix technique in terms of spin, believe me I know as someone who is naturally steep and who battles out to in fits at times.

I can tell you that this is significantly lower spinning than the Supertri you're gaming which is one of the higher spinning heads out there from TM (and an awesome head too).

The other thing to remember with the DBD, its not a forgiving driver like this, so if you miss its go the potential to be exponentially more punishing. So, why focus on JUST spin, when there are so many other parts to the picture, especially for those of us who don't have a swing that finds the middle of the face all the time.

Callaway Great Big Bertha Driver Preview Thread

Thanks, Jman! I was actually gravitating to the GBB anyway simply because of the forgiveness. Was just curious on your thoughts on the spin. But yes most of my spin is being too steep at the ball.

Thanks, Jman! I was actually gravitating to the GBB anyway simply because of the forgiveness. Just curious on your thoughts on the spin. But yes most of my spin is being too steep at the ball.

Believe me, I feel your pain. I have the ability to relapse on a moments notice, so so so so frustrating.

Go hit them both dude, thats fun, but always remember the bigger picture in a club. Easy to say, hard to do. Hahahaha

I scoffed when I heard the 815 was better than Bertha. I was wrong. I'm scoffing now at the thought the GBB can improve on the 815.

Looking forward to being wrong again :)

Really looking forward to the full review, James.

I finally gave the GBB a good trial. Hit it with kuro kage stiff, set to S/N 9° head, APW directly behind the driver name on the sole. What can I say? WOW! Unbelievably forgiving and provided great numbers. I hit about 15 balls at pga store. Avg 15 ish launch with avg 2100 spin and avg 280 ish carry. The shaft felt just a tad loose but not overly so. According to the monitor I was between 110 and 113 SS. I'll be ordering one of these too :)
THIS is quite the endorsement!!!

OK Jman...I went back and found 9° head with a Rogue 60X. Oh my...that combo changed the whole viewpoint I had. Some numbers that surprised me and the spin (which I usually have a problem with) was impressive. Will get this and it's brother together at some point.

Had a chance to hit one of these at Golfsmith today. The comments about the sound are spot on, best sounding driver I have hit in a while. I was hitting the 10.5 with the KK regular shaft. Given the spin rates would have to do some research on that. I also usually prefer a slightly heavier shaft, so some work to do there. Having said that, really impressed with the forgiveness and ball speeds. Spin rate was keeping the total down, but liked the carry yardages even when I missed toward the heel a couple time. It is definitely on my radar now.

Looks like the 815 will be retired (traded in). Order placed! Just in time for #TheGauntlet!

Went with the LZ Red. A little heavier than the LZ Blue that I currently have in my 815.

Looks like the 815 will be retired (traded in). Order placed! Just in time for #TheGauntlet!

Went with the LZ Red. A little heavier than the LZ Blue that I currently have in my 815.

May it be crooked for you that weekend and that weekend only :angel:

I have a feeling you're going to kill this thing.

I can't answer that, it all comes back to the individual, ya know? Plus, no driver will fix technique in terms of spin, believe me I know as someone who is naturally steep and who battles out to in fits at times.

I can tell you that this is significantly lower spinning than the Supertri you're gaming which is one of the higher spinning heads out there from TM (and an awesome head too).

The other thing to remember with the DBD, its not a forgiving driver like this, so if you miss its go the potential to be exponentially more punishing. So, why focus on JUST spin, when there are so many other parts to the picture, especially for those of us who don't have a swing that finds the middle of the face all the time.

This is so true. I find myself getting so caught up in "low spin" drivers that something like this may be overlooked. I can't wait to get my hands on one next month

OK Jman...I went back and found 9° head with a Rogue 60X. Oh my...that combo changed the whole viewpoint I had. Some numbers that surprised me and the spin (which I usually have a problem with) was impressive. Will get this and it's brother together at some point.

Muahahahahahahahaha

Love it...and expected it. :alien:

If it is anything like the OG Bb was for you at the King, lookout!

Back