Most Embarrassing Golf Moment

Shanking a ball in to a full clubhouse terrace on 18 is pretty high up there... Nothing like seeing 60 people duck for cover because of your shot.

Hell, I embarrass myself a lot but it doesn't bother me. This one is for a buddy of mine. About a month ago we played Temecula Creek (which has three 9s). We were on our 18th for the day. My buddy hit a nice drive and was in good position for his approach to the green. He asked me what I had for distance for him and I gave it to him (I have a GPS watch). He hit his second shot but I saw it going well right of the hole. I immediately said "which hole were you aiming at?" He relied, "oh sh!t." He was aiming at the 9th green on the course we played for our first 9, which was farther away and separated by a lake. Fortunately he used my distance and landed short of the water. He told me that he didn't even see the green he was supposed to be shooting for and just thought it was designed to be a very tough second shot.

Playing with my brother-in-law this weekend we were on a hole that went down hill to a ditch with water backed up into from a pond on the left side. The hole was around 360 yards and the pond sat around 280 from the tee. Two guys hit drivers down the left side into trees but short of the water and had to punch back onto the fairway before hitting over the water. I hit a hybrid around 210 down the right side with a nice look at the pin, I ended up going long and left into the drink but it gets worse. My brother-in-law went straight down the middle about 20 yards short of the water with his driver and was bragging about it, I said "that's only like 260 down hill, is that all you've got?". He said "oh, that was on like a quarter swing there." So he has a nice wedge shot up hill 100 yards out with 20 yards to the water which is about 10 feet wide, what does he do? Of course he chunks his wedge and his ball lands directly in the water ditch. The guy I'm riding with pipes up and tells him he should have used more than a quarter swing and he might have cleared the ditch, we were crying we laughed so much about it, he was embarrassed but was a good sport about it and we played on. We're not very good but we have a good time and his new nickname is "Quarter Swing".

Hell, I embarrass myself a lot but it doesn't bother me. This one is for a buddy of mine. About a month ago we played Temecula Creek (which has three 9s)...

I got into a "let's see if we can dump each other out of the cart" contest with a friend at Temecula Creek.

I made the mistake of taking a phone call while he drove us down the fairway after our tee shots. He noticed that I wasn't paying attention or hanging on to anything, floored it and hit a nice little crevasse at top speed. I bounced off the underside of the cart roof and out the side of the cart and found myself laying in the FW amidst our golf bags and scattered clubs. He won.

Taking a 13 on the par 4 3rd at my home course during the 2nd day of my club championship in 1985. I was leading after the first round and wound up shooting an 83 with that 13 on my card. A bogey on that hole would have made me club champ and a double bogey would have gotten me into the playoff.

I had a really good round going with my first chance to break 80. I was just coming off 16 with a birdie & needed to par the last 2 holes to shoot 79. 17 is a par 3 that measures 185 & plays over water. Topped 1 in the water, but managed hit a really good 3rd from the tee to save a bogey. I needed birdie going into & hit a drive down the middle & had a 5 iron into the green , which I proceeded to pull way left. Turned and chucked the club into the ground & snapped the shaft right on half. I don't throw them so hard anymore...

Whiffing a shot at the driving range yesterday. I've hit my rock bottom. I'm going back to learning how to hit knockdowns.

I've three really good ones just this year. Two of them had witnesses.

1) Golfing with LordByron and a couple of other guys at the beginning of this season, I bombed a drive and started walking off the tee box before it even reached it's apex. I was still watching it while walking and tripped over my buddy's bag. I managed to keep his bag from falling and also kept myself from hitting the ground.

2) Playing a round by myself I HAMMERED a 3w off the tee. It felt so pure and just flew forever. I did a club twirl and started walking down the fairway. About 5 steps in I realized I left my bag sitting at the tee box and had to turn around and get it. First thing I did when I realized what I was doing was to look around and make sure no one saw me.

3) About 2 weeks ago I was playing with my neighbor and we had a single join us on the 3rd hole. We all hit our drives and were in close proximity to one another. I was riding with my neighbor and he let me out to go check a ball in the fairway. I told him it wasn't mine and our 3rd said mine was to the left and about 10 yards back. I turned and started walking towards it, completely oblivious to my surroundings....and the fact that my neighbor was driving towards me to pick me up. Next thing I know I've got the front end of a golf cart in my thigh and I'm tumbling through the air. I hit the ground, rolled once, popped up and just kept walking to my ball....doing everything I could to not focus on the throbbing pain I now had on my left thigh. I got to my ball and fell down I was laughing so hard.

Edit:
I should have probably mentioned me farting while bending over to pick up a club during Myndcraft's putt on 17 this past Saturday. Thankfully he made it

This happened to a buddy of mine and is reminded of it frequently. During the high school state golf tournament it was a pretty cold, rainy and miserable day. My buddy had a terrible front nine, couldn't make a putt and ends up with something like a 52 on that nine. He stops in to the clubhouse between nines to take a leak and while doing his business his pee splashes off the back of the urinal and coats the front of his khaki pants, very noticeable. He had to spend 5 minutes in the bathroom under the electric dryer trying to dry his pants off while other players were witnessing his proud moment. He went back out and ended up with something like 54 putts that day.

Mine was earlier this summer playing a hole that runs along the parking lot on league night. Shanked my tee shot right into the parking lot and ended up buying a $350 rear window. Worst part was walking into the full clubhouse afterwards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happened to my brother but on 18 at our course the pool runs along the left side of the hole. He pulls a hard wedge shot and drops one into the pool..... during a swim meet. 200 people no one turned around.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

When I was 10 years old I was playing a local 9 hole with my brother, hole 9 is about a 270 yard par 4 that goes uphill to a narrow sloped fairway with little room for error. People usually play a long iron to 70-100 out. A foursome was behind me and in front in that area. The group behind kept on haggling me to go, I'd never hit it the full 200 yards to that landing before so I hit my driver and crushed it dead at the group, maybe my longest drive ever at the time. I ended up missing a guys head by about a foot with 10 people as a witness to it all. I was already a shy kid, so it was horrible.

One very hot day here in NC, I was playing with a friend who was, though not very good, brave and fast playing (by brave, I mean he would never take relief from cart paths, or piles of boulders). We came to a par 3 and his ball ended up on a downhill lie facing the green. Even though I had never even attempted the shot before, I decided to show him Mickelson's backwards over the head lob shot. After whiffing it about eight times, I caught it beautifully, or...so I had thought. It was taking forever for it to land and I was beginning to fear I had struck the ball too lustfully, dooming it to land in the pond on the other side of the green. The silence was suddenly broken by a loud DOINK!1 sound the ball made as it struck me on top of the head. Apparently, I had skulled the ball straight up in the air.

I can't really say I'm embarrassed by the incident as I'm not really the type of person who has the sense to be embarrassed by anything (and this was the 2nd time I'd hit myself on the head, the previous time being a mundane driving range accident). My friend and I were useless for the rest of the round, being unable to contain our amusement.

Last edited:
Company social club tournament. Teamed up with some good golfers on an easy course. Grabbed my stuff and my shoes are at home so played in street shoes. Halfway through it starts drizzling - barely enough to get wet really.
On the tee for the closest to the pin Par 3 I picked the "hit it hard" club with a between clubs yardage. Everything was good until impact when my feet left from under me. I about knocked myself out with my follow through, ending up on my butt with mud and sand all over me seeing stars.

Everybody was killing themselves laughing - I got the last laugh though, and the KP prize.

a few weeks ago, I'm all grouped up for our saturday morning points game at the club, and was riding with a guy I barely knew. I was getting all my stuff situated in the cart. Snacks, wet towel, tees, rangefinder, etc...when I realized I didn't have my sunglasses. I knew I'd grabbed them out of the car before heading to the clubhouse. Looked through the cart, all the pockets in my bag, on my hat, around the tee area and even re-traced my steps back to the clubhouse. My cart partner noticed I was a little perplexed and I was getting anxious over losing a nice set of Maui Jims. He asked what was the matter? I said "I cant seem to find my sunglasses" to which he replied "they're on your face." :embarrassed:

A long time ago...

I'm playing the first hole at my course and hit a 160 yard shank for a second shot. 8th green is to the right of the first green at the bottom of the slope. 8th gree is alos a 2 tiered green with the pin in the right lower front corner ( perspective from the 8th tee). My perspective would be on the lower level in the extreme upper right hand corner.

You guessed it.... I holed my shank into the hole on the 8th green while guys were putting.

a few weeks ago, I'm all grouped up for our saturday morning points game at the club, and was riding with a guy I barely knew. I was getting all my stuff situated in the cart. Snacks, wet towel, tees, rangefinder, etc...when I realized I didn't have my sunglasses. I knew I'd grabbed them out of the car before heading to the clubhouse. Looked through the cart, all the pockets in my bag, on my hat, around the tee area and even re-traced my steps back to the clubhouse. My cart partner noticed I was a little perplexed and I was getting anxious over losing a nice set of Maui Jims. He asked what was the matter? I said "I cant seem to find my sunglasses" to which he replied "they're on your face." :embarrassed:

Done that...lol

Played a scramble this weekend. Reached into my back pocket on 15 and noticed a decent sized hole in the seat of my pants. Good times.

1. on 18 at my local course which is a short par 4. i took out my 3W and proceeded to actually hit it about 2 yards backwards. still don't know exactly how it happened but i was still able to bogey the hole.
2. yesterday on number 1 my back was a little sore so i grabbed my 3W and promptly missed the ball completely. that little diddy cost me a double bogey

Last year I was at a buddy's house and using his driver to hit into his net. My first time with a club in hand. One ball proceeds to fly up and over the net, we hear it bounce off a car in the street.

We move the net.

One slices right and hits his roof. Everyone goes inside and I kid you not comes out with either a football helmet, hockey mask, or batting helmet on. hahaha funny funny.

Then my wife shows up. Even asks me (after hearing the stories) if here is a good place to sit. It is 20 feet directly behind me. She grabs a chair and sits.

Next ball...PING! off the side of the net bar and straight back SMACK into her eye. If she hadn't been wearing sunglasses i'm sure she'd have lost it.

To make matters worse, the next day her aunt was accepting an award for her industry so the WHOLE family was in town. 75% of which I had never met. And we had the, "she fell into a door knob story" god it was awful. Her family was good about it, and it was the story around the bars I frequent for weeks.

I'll have to see if she still has the pic of her eye the next day. It's bad.

Letting a 4 hole lead after 9 holes slip in The King. If I had stepped on the gas I might have given Nebgolfer some competition for MVP and a spot at the Grandaddy.

I have a couple
-The first one isnt about me but I was at the driving range one day and this guy had taken his two kids out to hit balls. Im standing there about to hit another shot and about five yards in front of me one of the kids clubs go flying by. I could not help but die laughing and let the kid know it was not a big deal.
-Another time i was practicing at the par 3 course and the eighth hole where i had to hit over water continued to give me trouble as i was having trouble slicing my irons right where the body of water got bigger. So i get to the tee and this group of first tee students stop to wait for me to hit my shot. I then go and hit three or four balls in the water and was so frustrated my next shot i shanked it right into my golf bag which in turn rolled into the water. I gave up on that hole and just went to the next one.

Back