Where do you see Golf in 20 years?

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 14
For reference, 20 years ago was 1995. What do you see changing during the next 20 years, if anything at all?

Here are some things I wouldn't be surprised happening:

Instead of separate clubs, we'll have one that adjusts length, lie, loft, etc. for the shot we want.

Segways replace golf carts, with each golfer having his or her own.

Rotating tees. With less land, you could create more holes and courses with the tees rotating to different fairways in different areas. For that matter, elevator tees, to increase or decrease the distance of holes. Same concept with rotating greens, completely changing the composition of a green complex.

A hybrid of synthetic grass that needs little water to survive but stays green and lush.

Golf courses allowing you to pay by hole. You only have time for 15 holes, or want to practice on a five hole jaunt, have at it.

Big baggy shirts will be back in style in 20 years. They were all the rage in the mid 90's and fashion seems to rotate every 40 years

More natural, browner courses, to accommodate the less water that will be available.

The only one of your ideas I see becoming common is the hybrid grass that needs very little water. I also think Barry's idea of more natural conditions is likely.

I think we will see fewer courses than we do now, continued sprawl means courses that aren't thriving will be closed for neighborhoods.

Millennials and younger will only go to Top Golf like nightclub/videogame/selfiebooths arcade type environments where their low attention spans and need for the bandwidth to make 500 posts per hour on social media can only keep them entertained for a maximum of 45 minutes.

Honestly though, the adjustable club mentioned is interesting and maybe 6,12,18 hole course layouts and quicker rounds.............definitely balls with tracking devices and can also change colors/blink.

Dayglo clothes colors will go away again..................and then come back.

Hover carts.

We'll probably see the death of the steel shaft in the next 20 years.

Possibly a USGA rule about off-center COR.

I really hope "tee it forward" becomes widely accepted and foursomes mix up tees more often than not.

Another Tiger will emerge and expand public interest in golf.

More par3 courses. With less land available and more people playing badly with better equipment, it would make sense.

Back