SwingByte 2.0 THP Review Thread

"Virtual Coach Temporarily Unavailable. Please try again later." BAH!!

I also can't get the video sync function to work for the life of me. It records and beeps the way it should, indicating that it is syncing and then tells me syncing is done, but when I try to pull up the vid and compare it to the practice mode, no dice. Tried it a dozen times today and couldn't get it to work.

I got the Virtual Coach Unavailable earlier today too
1f5828e7210c3592dbf544eeae4cabf0.jpg

Practice mode worked (until the clasp broke).

I'm at the range giving this my first try. Within Settings on my I phone it show the device is blue tooth connected (I followed the video instructions for pairing) but the Swingbyte icon in the upper right corner is not green and after tapping the icon I get a reading that says it is not Bluetooth connected. Weird that the phone says I am but the app says I'm not connected.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

After a handful of minutes the device finally connected and I was able to get started. Overall I was definitely underwhelmed.

The latch on the device came loose every two or three swings. This brings into question the accuracy of the results on swing coach because you very likely do not have the alignment exactly the same. It is also a pain in the butt.

Swing coach was unavailable. It did record my swings and determine a game plan for me, but I couldn't see it or access it.

Regular practice mode was fine. The most useful part of the session was being able to replay my swing and see my OTT move. Of course seeing what you're doing is only half the equation. Knowing what to do to fix it is the next step and the part that is missing without swing coach instructions.

I am not sure I would even try it again unless the latch issue was resolved.

Well I'm feeling good right now about not pulling the trigger yet. I really hope these issues get resolved for you guys, what a sucky deal.

Well I'm feeling good right now about not pulling the trigger yet. I really hope these issues get resolved for you guys, what a sucky deal.

Just for the record, their Customer Service has been excellent. Top notch.

I removed my comment... Buying this online stuff is done with me. At my level of golf only thing that I need now is competition. Swing is grooved and I'm One bad mother on the greens

I'll be contacting the customer service tomorrow about my broken latch issue. Seems a simple fix would be if you could attach it on the grip it would be less likely to move.

Just for the record, their Customer Service has been excellent. Top notch.

Based on the comments earlier in the post it definitely sounds like their customer service has been fantastic for any issues members here have had. That's really awesome and I can not give them enough credit for that.

So I did get out with this device this weekend and had some time to give the virtual coach a try at the range. Got warmed up, got the device attached to my 6I and got started.

I did get the message about availability during my 5 baseline swings, but I was able to continue. I was seeing my standard miss with either a dead push or a hook. The swing issue that virtual coach identified was that I was sliding my left hip forward instead of rotating it out of the way so the right hip can rotate through. Here's a the lesson plan:

6AA249D5-50CC-42AF-8057-6F3976891D47_zpsm0ueaqwj.png
886D7E51-CD8C-414D-90A3-5A76B461DED5_zpsff8lcvjy.png

After watching the intro video, I was definitely interested as some of the advice gave was similar to what our own Panda gives on rotating the front hip out of the way. I worked on a few of the drills, got back on my 6iron and started making some more swings focusing on rotating my front hip back out of the way and finishing on my front leg. Results were pretty decent.

5D54581A-7575-4AC1-8F74-0322674EEEDB_zpskldmv3er.png

That third shot I hit was the best one I'd hit in a while. Had some more good and bad shots as well, but I feel like I made some good progress as my shot dispersion tightened up considerably and I seemed to be hitting the ball as far if not further.

Here's where I ran into some trouble though. I was never able to make it through all 10 swings. I kept getting the following error.

74CD844A-6F57-47F7-B182-937100FC3B1D_zpsq7riil0l.png

After this, I was only able to go back and restart the 10 swings.

Don't know if they were down for maintenance or what but it seems like I wasn't alone. Guessing this is isolated to this weekend, and will give it another go here on my next range visit. I had good LTE reception and was able to stream the video no issue. Will have to wait until next time to finish the complete process.

So my overall experience with the Virtual Coach was positive. Connectivity issue aside, the app definitely provided me some valid feedback and a large number of drills to work on. Within the confines of a buckets worth of balls, I was able to work on some of those drills and saw improvement during the same session. I did have one bad shot, that registered as positive on the 'work on this drill' portion, but otherwise the device seemed to function very well. I will keep working on rotation at home and will be back to the range soon to give the virtual coach another run for sure.

After some solid time with the coach mode, I did mess around with practice mode a little. Results seemed pretty accurate, though I did notice that the ball path off of the club isn't always spot on. For example, this swing:

0E1D8592-9C20-4659-AE4C-3AFB16C1D71D_zpswty1xv8x.png

...actually resulted in a little bit of a pull. While it isn't perfect, I'm hesitant to be too critical here as there's so many variables. Overall my experience was definitely positive.

I will agree that if you're hitting irons off of a mat, you should definitely check alignment every couple of swings. I noticed a fair amount of movement on mine. Noting a quick lining up couldn't handle though.

As to noticing it on the shaft, I didn't really notice at all in the beginning, but I definitely took note when using it on my driver. No issues to speak of, but I hit my best drives after I removed the device. Again, that could be 100% me, but want to share as it was something I was conscious of for the first time.

More to follow for sure. Let me know if anyone has anything specific they'd like me to discuss and/or check out.

Well based on the reviews posted I purchased a Swingbyte 2 for Xmas, so unfortunately I only had a hand full of swings in the backyard before its popped away ready for Santa. I've been playing golf seriously since the start of the year, no lessons yet just the info found here and Panda's wisdom to help develope my swing. I love data and really wanted know know what the club is doing during my swing. I want to know if i come down too steep, I see this number, too much forward shaft lean I see that number, hit a high slice, I see an open face number and added loft. I really don't care about the drills, I want to see the numbers change if i change something in the swing.

Below is a seven iron swing TM Speedblade of 30.5 deg loft. I've delofted an already strong loft about 10 degrees by having the handle too far forward.
Too steep attack angle. 13 deg down on Swingbyte is really 7 degrees down, but way too much for a seven iron.

Through all swings I was supprised how consistent the numbers are, not nessessarly good numbers but consistent. Swingbyte has shown me in just a couple of swings just how much dynamic lie I'm delivering. 10 degrees on average toe down which results in poor strike, I just can't find the clubs GC with that much lie added. You can see the green line below was the handle at address, then the handle too high at impact and all my shots off the toe. Over the top swing plane here, all arms in the downswing and no hips.

The swing in full link here. https://my.swingbyte.com/e/7d8f1e8ei

So far I think it's an excellent product for what I wanted it for, to see numbers and the affect a swing change has on them, I want know what it feels like when you add dynamic loft to a shot, what the numbers look like after a low duck hook etc. No claspe issue, just make sure the lock is slid all the way to the full lock, easy.

Can't wait to get this on the range for a proper session, good stuff Swingbyte 2����⛳️��

Last edited:
I was in contact with CS about Swing Coach being down. They say they've got no info on it. I shared the basic info...we'll see. They are also sending me another clip in hopes of getting the device to stay on a club. They continue to be very helpful.

Had an excellent interaction with Shira at SwingByte customer service this morning. Within 20 minutes of my email she had my issue (broken clasp) resolved and a new one on its way. I even received instruction on how to install the new one.
Hopefully I don't have to reach out to them again with any issues, but it's great to know how responsive they are.

I tried clamping this on with Velcro /. It gave loose and the unit slid off my club and semi shattered
. So sick of messing with this thing. I agree good customer service, but it is hard to polish a turd . And sadly this unit has been out for a while. They should be well beyond fixing issues now

I'm even doubting the data here

disappointing is an understatement. Upset and pissed is my mojo

Heading to the range in a bit, got my replacement part in and customer service was awesome

My replacement latch came yesterday. I'm going to try to get to the range late this afternoon to give this another go.

Well. My first range session was this morning in Hawaii. I was super excited. On the 3rd swing, the unit came flying off and the latch was nowhere to be found. Seems to be a problem.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Well. My first range session was this morning in Hawaii. I was super excited. On the 3rd swing, the unit came flying off and the latch was nowhere to be found. Seems to be a problem.

Definitely not good. I picked one up and am going to try it out but I've already had a broken latch before One swing.

Definitely not good. I picked one up and am going to try it out but I've already had a broken latch before One swing.

Super disappointed. I've been using it in my basement for a few weeks with no problems. Was looking forward to working with it. Now it looks like I have to wait a month before I can get back here with it unless they can get me one by Friday. Doubtful.

Super disappointed. I've been using it in my basement for a few weeks with no problems. Was looking forward to working with it. Now it looks like I have to wait a month before I can get back here with it unless they can get me one by Friday. Doubtful.

I had a good experience with customer support (although they charged me a lot for a new latch) but quick turnaround wasn't exactly there. Took a little while.

Mine was sent on the 7th and got here (Portland, OR) yesterday. It's possible.

SwingByte 2.0 THP Review Thread

Work is winding down and I should have plenty of time to hit the range soon. The one session I had outdoor, the SWB2 moved a lot (very disappointing). Granted it didn't come flying off, but nonetheless I found myself continually having to make sure it was still aligned. I found it moved more with irons hitting the ground and less with driver off a tee.

Any other testers/owners found away to prevent movement? Clean shaft where it attaches? I have it as close to the grip as possible since that's where the shaft is thickest. Any other ideas?

My replacement latch came yesterday. I'm going to try to get to the range late this afternoon to give this another go.

Do you notice any difference between the original latch and the replacement latch?

Do you notice any difference between the original latch and the replacement latch?

Mine was identical, although it seemed to stay in place a bit better today with the new latch. I'll have a full review of my session up tonight.

Back