Likes and dislikes of conversation topics on the course

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I am speaking as a single cause that's mostly how I play and most the times its a good time with friendly people but sometimes its kind of not so good too. It can make a round much more or less enjoyable imo.

I don't like no conversation cause that kind of sucks imo.
I find its rude when two people engage each other and it goes on for the entire round but has nothing to do with you.
I don't like solicitation of any kind.
I don't like when others who may golf regularly talk about nothing but their golf and when and how and where and whats next and the entire friggin round is spent talking among each other about their leagues and rounds etc etc and goes on for ever.
I also don't like golf talk in general to take up 3 of the4 hours. It gets old.
I don't like talking about work or jobs nor hearing it go on for hours.

good fun and friendly mixed conversation, not so serious, and some joking around too. Of course the golf at hand and some other golf conversation is expected but just don't over do it.

Some rounds are just so much more pleasant when the conversing is good, easy and fun and never so one sided. But this is all just me :)

-

This isn't meant to sound mean or rude, but if I go with a friend and a single gets paired with us, I'm going to talk to my friend how I would of normally done so. If the single that's paired with us doesn't like it...sorry? I'll try to engage them, but honestly I'm not going to change and not talk to my friend about stuff because of maybe not talking with the other guy as much.

I also expect basically nothing when I am a single and get paired with a group. They showed up as a group, I couldn't care less if they involve me or not. That's not their job. Talk about what you want.

I play with my brother most of the time and during our round all we talk about is golf and a little bit of work and family. When we get paired with someone we don't purposely exclude them but it happens. Honestly I'm a shy person in nature so carrying on conversations with people isn't really what I do plus spending time with family is pretty awesome.

I'm talking to everybody and at least trying to involve everyone in the conversation.

That's just me. I'm a talker, and I've never met a stranger.

Both posts are interesting. I'm the type of person who doesn't have a problem talking to people and making friends (some people on the posts may not share that thought, but maybe they've never met me in person, LOL). I can strike up a conversation with people at an adjacent table or at a gas station. If I'm playing with other people, ie a single or couple who were put with us, then I try to engage them in conversation. Are you from here?, How long have you lived around here? Where do you work/what do you do? Do you play this course very often? etc... From there the conversation goes where it goes. If I get the impression they aren't interested in talking and me getting to know them/them getting to know me, I just let the conversation peter out and finish the round on our own terms. No biggie.

This isn't meant to sound mean or rude, but if I go with a friend and a single gets paired with us, I'm going to talk to my friend how I would of normally done so. If the single that's paired with us doesn't like it...sorry? I'll try to engage them, but honestly I'm not going to change and not talk to my friend about stuff because of maybe not talking with the other guy as much.

I also expect basically nothing when I am a single and get paired with a group. They showed up as a group, I couldn't care less if they involve me or not. That's not their job. Talk about what you want.

I'm a big boy so none of it ruins my day as I'll just take care of myself but there is imo a thing called common courtesy and etiquette. There are ways to talk to your bud while still respecting the fact that there are 2 others golfing in your group.

I treat it like any other round. Normally there some small talk and I just let the conversation go where it goes. If I'm with someone I know and we get paired up me and that person go about with our normal conversations and the other person or pair are free to partake in our conversation or start on a subject if they choose. Most of the time it's just each other going about their business and playin a round of golf

I have 2 sides to this conversation - side one, I play as a single a decent amount of times and have talked to my cart partner or walking buddies throughout a round and other times I barely talk to them and let them be.

I never expect people I play with to involve me in conversations - if they are talking aloud amongst others about a topic that interests me or one that I have knowledge about though I will pipe in and add my .02

Outside of this I typically ask where they are from, what they do for work, etc. but don't go beyond that.

Now when I play with my dad or friend I typically wont go out of my way to engage the other 1 or 2 people outside of introductions, helping to find the ball, or if there is a backup on the tee box...I don't see it as rude because I have been on the outside of this...

However, if we do find common ground for conversation I won't end it - I will carry it on - I work in sales so I can talk to anyone....

As for conversations I don't mind having:
-Sports
-Golf
-Jokes
-Cars

Not to be discussed:
-Politics
-Religion

I am a naturally quiet and reserved person until I get to know people, but I wouldn't ignore a group if they spoke to me

On a golf course you obviously have one thing in common so it is a good ice breaker and conversation can go from there. If you find other things to talk about then great but if you have nothing else to talk about then it can be a long day I guess

I have a regular group of friends who I play with so a lot of our conversation tends to be catching up on whatever has been going on with everyone if we haven't seen each other for a while

Agree 100% with this post. If I did not get put with that group and played alone, who would I be talking to? I enjoy some, but not too much and at a normal volume, conversation on the course. Drives me crazy when people run theirs mouths non-stop and at levels that can be heard 2 holes away. Ran into this twice last Sunday so I sicked the ranger on them to remind them that they were on a golf course.

I golf 3-4 times a week with friends and random people and the conversation is typically about golf and or work and I LIKE that. Now If I was paired up with some random people I don't ever expect them to try and include me in the conversation, if they do cool, if they don't not a big deal. I don't golf to talk to people I golf to golf so either way, conversation or not I am out there for what I want to be doing. I will go and shoot 9 by myself quite often and be just as happy. Now if some one is paired up with myself and our group we try to include them and talk with them, if they help continue the conversation great, if not, well we will go back to talking among ourselves. The talk for while I am golfing with people can be anything it doesnt bother me. About the only two things I stay away from talking about on the course and would prefer not to talk about on the course are the big 2, religion and politics.

Ooooh, I like this topic.

I am honestly not a big talker and it is rare that I carry on a conversation where I am doing the majority of the talking, but I really only have one untouchable topic, if I've never met you, and that is religion. Politics is fun, as long as people can keep it friendly (not bash one another for their outlook on it). I am not super comfortable talking about family, but I am more than okay with generic small talk about family. Unfortunately, it seems that I talk more about work than anything else, but work is a huge part of most of our lives, so I think it is only natural that we will talk so much about it. Sports is also another big talking point with me.

If I get paired up with a random person, I actually enjoy the quiet time and I usually do not go out of my way to instigate small-talk conversations. However, if they start up the conversation, I am more than comfortable giving my two cents.

I'm extremely shy so I don't talk to anyone :alien:

I also often play as a single.

Dislikes: Complete strangers that talk about my swing or game or strategy. Politics. Their "issues" (wives, work, etc.)

Likes: Anything not in the Dislike category is fine, as long as they play at a decent pace.

Somehow I don't believe that.... :alien:
He is actually a lot quieter in person than on the forum...haha. I was surprised when I finally met him in person last fall.

I'm not uncomfortable to talk a lot, a little or none at all. If you wanna talk, I'll talk. If you play quietly, I'll play the same way. Dislikes... ongoing coaching from a stranger. I don't mind a tip or two or three but don't hound me. I can "talk" about religion, politics, cars, sports or whatever... debating however is for after the game. I just want to be relaxed and enjoy the game as much as possible. One last request... Don't be a jerk!

He is actually a lot quieter in person than on the forum...haha. I was surprised when I finally met him in person last fall.

Awwwwwww dude you're screwing up my rep on here. You know I'm a loud & obnoxious redneck kind of guy! :D

I talk to myself. Sometimes I answer.

You don't cuss ya self out now do ya? :act-up:

Awwwwwww dude you're screwing up my rep on here. You know I'm a loud & obnoxious redneck kind of guy! :D
:act-up:

You can fool some of the people some of the time, but you can't fool 'em all all of the time!

I'm talking to everybody and at least trying to involve everyone in the conversation.

That's just me. I'm a talker, and I've never met a stranger.
Thats how i am, especially with golf. Its just damn awkward to have a completely silent round lol when someone hits a bad shot............crickets

I'm with cbaker, if I'm playing with a friend I don't see often, I'm enjoying my 4 hours with him as planned. I'm not saying I'll ignore the other golfer or won't allow him to join our conversation. But when we are catching up about out lives I don't expect them to have much to say.

I've played a good bit as a single. As long as the other partners aren't outright rude I can't complain much.

I guess I'm lucky. I've made a lot of friends playing golf and can't remember any bad conversations. One day, I played with a doctor from Argentina. He didn't speak English and I don't speak Spanish. He'd speak to me in what I assumed was very elementary Spanish and I spoke to him in pretty bad Italian. Both of us used a lot of gestures and it got pretty silly. Still, we both enjoyed it and had a nice round.

I have 2 sides to this conversation - side one, I play as a single a decent amount of times and have talked to my cart partner or walking buddies throughout a round and other times I barely talk to them and let them be.

I never expect people I play with to involve me in conversations - if they are talking aloud amongst others about a topic that interests me or one that I have knowledge about though I will pipe in and add my .02

Outside of this I typically ask where they are from, what they do for work, etc. but don't go beyond that.

Now when I play with my dad or friend I typically wont go out of my way to engage the other 1 or 2 people outside of introductions, helping to find the ball, or if there is a backup on the tee box...I don't see it as rude because I have been on the outside of this...

However, if we do find common ground for conversation I won't end it - I will carry it on - I work in sales so I can talk to anyone....

As for conversations I don't mind having:
-Sports
-Golf
-Jokes
-Cars

Not to be discussed:
-Politics
-Religion

I share the same path, and the extent of my conversation with someone I have not previously met depends on the other individual -- if gregarious and fun, we'll talk more. If I'm the fourth and three others are friends, any camaraderie tends to start more slowly, but I'll engage if there is a natural path to engagement. If they are not interested, I'll just play golf. It's all good.

Back