How strict is your courses dress code and do you agree with it?

I think all courses should have a strict dress code.

Most around here are no raggedy clothes and you're good to go. Higher end courses, not surprisingly, tend to be more strict.

Most of the course I play are collared shirt and no jeans. I have been able to play a few nice private courses that had the regular rules for dress and no hats in the building but they also would not let you put your shoes on in the parking lot and you could not wear flip flops on in the clubhouse. I had no problem with anything

Actually pretty casual - no jeans but I've seen t shirts and stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The muni I normally play at has signs posted for the dress code. There are only two items on it.
1) Shirts must be worn at all times
2) Closed toe shoes are required

Yeah, I can get behind those two requirements but I do find the signs funny.

Like most other clubs, collars shirts, no jeans or cut offs. Now you can head to the range in T-shirt’s if you like. But not the course.

My home course is mainly collared shirts, and they don't have to be tucked in. Non collared athletic shirts (Under Armor style) are allowed. Denim is discouraged, but I don't think they would throw you out. Hats on inside is not a big deal.

It is the game of golf and a golf clubhouse, not the "White House". I'm happy the times are a changin. What is acceptable on the LPGA Tour, is becoming the norm for men and women and I think that is a good thing. You have to go with the flow of the younger generation, or soon your course will be closed.

My league course has no dress code. Most people do a good job of dressing themselves like golfers. There is the occasional tank top and jean shorts but can't really complain much as its few and far between.

Fairly casual but the rules are enforced.

Collars, no jeans

What is the deal with cargo shorts? I wear em all the time. They are nice khaki shirts with extra pockets. I normally use left one for glove and putter cover and right one had two extra golf balls. Not a big deal.

What is the deal with cargo shorts? I wear em all the time. They are nice khaki shirts with extra pockets. I normally use left one for glove and putter cover and right one had two extra golf balls. Not a big deal.

They are generally poor fitting , a lot of times drop below the knee and just generally look bad in a dress setting .

I love cargo shorts but think they look terrible with nice collared shirts .

They are generally baggy and just don’t look good on course, in my opinion. Fine with them elsewhere.

No dress code that I'm aware of at my local muni course. Most wear collared shirts, hats on the right way and golf shorts. Shirts are not tucked in. Some wear jeans or sports/athletic clothes. While I trend toward liking a firm dress code I ultimately am okay with none. I prefer pace of play to be enforced more than dress code.

Dress is usually collared shirts and no jeans, but the shirts can be worn out. The course is near the ocean, and a lot of vacationers play it during the Summer. I've seen tee shirts and jeans, and it seems no one says anything. It doesn't bother me one way or another, as long as the golfers respect the course, and the other golfers playing it.

No denim, nothing fraying, collared shirt. I agree with it. I figure an installation golf course is one of those opportunities to present the military to the public. While the golf course isn't exactly a recruiting tool, I like to think that when civilians come onto a military base they expect a better than average appearance and attitude.

I wear cargo shorts all the time to golf, honestly don't care what people think of me while I'm playing golf as long as the course allows it. Amazing how many people worry about if people are wearing shorts with pockets or not.

i play in a t-shirt and cut off jeans a lot in the summer. No one looks twice.

The courses I play on most don’t really have a dress code. I’ve seen it all while playing. As long as the goods are covered up in some way, I could care less what others wear.

The club I belonged to had a fair dress code. I am of the belief that everyplace makes their rule(s) and if you dont want to live within the rules then don't play and don't belong.

I don't really have a local course but the one I used to play a few times a month had a strict dress code and I thought it was fair. No cargo shorts, jean shorts. Mandatory tucked in polo. One guy was up on the first tee with his shirt untucked and the manager came out to specifically tell him to tuck his shirt in and he did so. I don't think their is anything wrong with that, although it could set someone off who isn't used to rules attire.

Well they let us on my home course in these. From 2-4 years ago. We always dress up like Halloween for our poker league wind up. So much fun, lol This theme was tv/movies
6b2a49ef5e3f1f69c19c85998c55a67d.jpg

And these (theme- 80's);

And these (theme- villains), lol;

Not always easy to golf in these costumes though. Get a few strange looks, lol.

Last edited:
For men, collared shirt, tucked in, no denim, no cargo shorts and I 100% agree with it.

This is similar for my course and I also agree with it. I normally dress this way so playing golf in this attire is a non issue.

We're fairly easy going for a private club. Collared shirt, shorts slightly above the knee or below, hat on straight. I personally would like to see a stricter code.

Back