How strict is your courses dress code and do you agree with it?

Wicked Cool Bearded Man

4thegolf+4thefriends
Reaction score
Handicap
6.3 GHIN
Another post in another thread got me thinking - what is your courses' clothing policy? Collared shirt? No jeans? Does it have one? My home course does not have really any policy in place as it's public. There absolutely are days when I think something should probably be in place. 99% of the time people do a good job of self regulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For men, collared shirt, tucked in, no denim, no cargo shorts and I 100% agree with it.

How strict is your courses dress code and do you agree with it?

Quite strict and the members drive it. Collared shirts, tucked in, proper shorts/pants, hat on straight, hat off inside the clubhouse, grill, dining room. These things are generational in many ways, my generation likes decorum, hell I love wearing a suit everyday.

Last edited:
One of our 3 owners was going to allow 5-somes and tee shirts, but the members, semi private course, quickly told him we would leave if that happens. We want to keep up the standards of the course

Semi public course. Says golf attire. Most members wear collared shirts. Not always tucked in. Some wear non collared athletic shirts (under armor style for example). In the winter, a few guys do wear jeans. So not too strict but members typically keep it "golf attire" and I have no problem with that.
I have seen nonmembers out in t shirts. I won't say that bothers me too much but I wouldn't call that golf attire.

Semi public course. Says golf attire. Most members wear collared shirts. Not always tucked in. Some wear non collared athletic shirts (under armor style for example). In the winter, a few guys do wear jeans. So not too strict but members typically keep it "golf attire" and I have no problem with that.
I have seen nonmembers out in t shirts. I won't say that bothers me too much but I wouldn't call that golf attire.

That's my thing. It doesn't bother me 99 percent of the time. Then once or twice a year I'll see a group wearing cutoff sleeve tshirts or something and it sticks in my craw

Where I am a starter and ranger at Crystal Springs in northern NJ, it's collard shirts, no jeans. Works well here.

No dress code at all at my public course but there seems to be very few that stray from accpetable course attire.

For men, collared shirt, tucked in, no denim, no cargo shorts and I 100% agree with it.

Exactly this and I do agree. If your shirt is not tucked in you will be asked to tuck it in. Most will take their hats off inside the clubhouse but this is not a rule. Not a dress code thing, but our best rule is no talking on cell phones anywhere except the parking lot.

No dress code at all at my public course but there seems to be very few that stray from accpetable course attire.

Exactly. But those who do stray hard Hahahaha

Exactly this and I do agree. If your shirt is not tucked in you will be asked to tuck it in. Most will take their hats off inside the clubhouse but this is not a rule. Not a dress code thing, but our best rule is no talking on cell phones anywhere except the parking lot.

I wear my hat into the clubhouse after my round until I can fix it in the locker room. We have that same cell phone rule but it’s. It enforced. Wish it was.

At the 9 Hole public course where I’ll sometimes play at lunch, they’re pretty relaxed on it. I’m guilty myself of wearing jeans and a T-shirt’s since that’s my work attire (shipyard). But it also a fairly small cheap course and they don’t always keep up with maintenance. But everywhere else, I’m always in golf attire.

At the 9 Hole public course where I’ll sometimes play at lunch, they’re pretty relaxed on it. I’m guilty myself of wearing jeans and a T-shirt’s since that’s my work attire (shipyard). But it also a fairly small cheap course and they don’t always keep up with maintenance. But everywhere else, I’m always in golf attire.

I totally get it my man. Sometimes you play the hand you're dealt. Jeans don't bother me- nor does tshirt personally but sleeveless? That is taking it a bit too far hahaha

it's weird, gotta have the pleated pants and collared shirts tucked in and the 2nd button done up and a belt is required and you must look like a proper gentleman with sneaker style shoes and a baseball cap

tshirts were golf attire way back

need more dawgs out there

Private club. Cargo shorts not allowed. Collared shirts tucked in (not really enforced). Hat off in the clubhouse. Super member driven. I do agree with it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I totally get it my man. Sometimes you play the hand you're dealt. Jeans don't bother me- nor does tshirt personally but sleeveless? That is taking it a bit too far hahaha

I was out in the S/W visiting our daughter and was at the counter paying for a round when I heard the person behind the counter say, "You're NOT playing like THAT!".. I turned around to people that just walked in and saw a guy in a sleeveless tee shirt and jeans and his girlfriend was also in "inappropriate" attire.
I didn't stick around to see what happened because this was on a military base where even the course of play stops and salutes for the afternoon National anthem.

Anyway, my local course really doesn't have a dress code but, in my years playing there I haven't encountered any violations like the above. Sure, there are persons in jeans / tee shirts every now and then. There's even a "before work" early morning league that's finishing up around 0800 and a few of those guys try to get in 9 before work at other times of the week.

No dress code but majority of golfers come in dressed appropriately.

But.....this course is very active with high school golf programs with inner city kids. Sometimes the teenie boppers.....make the atmosphere quite colorful. Nothing really wild.......just the choice of color combinations give the course a festive feel to it.

Or perhaps this is my age talkng......

Yeah recently though, I’ve taken to wearing golf polos daily for comfort, which has the added bonus of me not looking like a jack*** when I play at lunch. But for the purpose of the thread, I do believe dress codes should be enforced. I think when I played last, me and my buddy were properly dressed, polos tucked in, wearing golf shorts. But there was a surprisingly high number of people in jeans or cargos and T-shirt’s or tank tops. Definitely disappointing as it’s a surprisingly nice course for the price.

Private club/strict. They don’t force tucked in shirts, but suggest that it’s proper. I don’t have any issue with the dress code.

We have two ranges with one being part of a golf school. I wouldn’t mind wearing gym clothes to that location since it’s away from the courses and used more for practice than warmup. Especially in our hot Texas summers.

One of our 3 owners was going to allow 5-somes and tee shirts, but the members, semi private course, quickly told him we would leave if that happens. We want to keep up the standards of the course

Private club here and we allow 5 zones after 12pm. Most of our play is in the morning though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Like everything else in life it depends on who you know and who you are. Big spending member could go outwearing a diaper only but non member nobody...collared shirt tucked in and golf shorts or pants (no cargo or jeans), no exceptions

I could play in boxers (only) and nobody would say anything...well, to me.

Pretty standard dress code requiring all persons to wear suitable attire. "Unsuitable attire includes cut off shorts, bib overalls, tank tops, t-shirts, blue jeans and sweatpants."

I think it's a pretty good code and agree with it. If anything I'd make it a little bit more strict but I'm just an old stick in the mud.

Pretty standard, collared shirts, no denim, cargo shorts etc. I'm in favor of all of that, but I don't particularly care about shirts being tucked in.

My shirt will sometimes untuck itself over the course of a round and I don't feel especially motivated to tuck it back in all the time.

If I'm wearing pants, which is rare in FL, I do feel it just looks goofy not tucked in, so I will keep it tucked in.

Another post in another thread got me thinking - what is your courses' clothing policy? Collared shirt? No jeans? Does it have one? My home course does not have really any policy in place as it's public. There absolutely are days when I think something should probably be in place. 99% of the time people do a good job of self regulation.

No real policy, and it doesn't bother me much either way, I'll dress appropriately as I think it helps make a good first impression, especially since 90% of my rounds are showing up as a single and getting paired with Rando's.

Back