Playing Golf through the winter or hanging up until spring?

Jim Bloodworth

Reaction score
Handicap
I live in Seattle and we have a long wet cold winter. I usually do not play in the winter.

But this year I am going to tough it out and play as much as I can.

How about you?

Thanks!

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Ply through. It's generally really playable through the end of the year. Typically gets a little damp and soggy around mid January or February. Back to spring by mid March normally.

I believe I would rather play in Seattle during the winter than Florida during the summer.

I lived in north Florida for most of my life (Sarasota now) and there are always plenty of days in the winter where it would be in the 30s to start the morning, and I loved it. Just made sure to keep my gear inside the night before and bring a thermos of coffee.

As for rain, that never bothers be either, so long as it's not lightning in the area.

I know, I know, cold AND rain is different, but there's no doubt that if you have the right gear, it's not that big of a deal. I was in Seattle recently and played with a local at Jefferson Park, and my biggest curiosity was about golfing in the winter.

He said he owned two sets of good quality rain gear and that, while it's better in the summer, the winter has its perks, like much fewer golfers on the course!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depends on the snowfall. I always try to keep swinging (at least) all winter long, but this winter will hinge on where I’m traveling for work (within NYS) and how often.

We play as long as possible. This means no snow, 30-40 degrees temperature and 15 MPH of wind or less and we usually will give it a try.

I'm a couple hours north of you in Vancouver. I play year round as long as courses are open and aren't running all temp greens. It's not uncommon for me to wait for a frost delay just to get rained on lol.
I just can't handle going 4 months without any golf, and I've grown to really enjoy winter golf.

If the course is open and its over 45 degrees, I'll play. Otherwise I'm at the simulator once a week.

We built an indoor simulator in my dads basement, so I’ll be golfing this winter. Just indoors.

Garage sim. GC2 and Perfect Golf. Between the OGT tour and casual rounds, I’ll be in there a few times a week.

0b876fdb73ed5281fb3c3f59151c1cc1.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Living in south GA only yields a handful of days per year where cold prevents play.

I'll play until the snow prevents it! And if I can drive a couple hours south and get a round in I will!

Texas winters are pretty tame so I play year round.

We can generally play year round, temps need to be at 40 or above and wind 10mph or less. I enjoy winter golf and we never get in a cart in winter months.

Always thru the winter. That's what they make Under Armour for. I've played with snow coming down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

We don’t get much snow here so I have geared up for the rainy wet chilly NW winters. Bring it on!

If they let us on the course . . . we play (not raining or snowing though!).

If the course is open, over 50* and no snow, I'll play. Otherwise, no.

I'll play when I can. I hate wearing long pants and sleeves, let alone jackets, but it's not as big a deal after it's been cold for a while and a nice day shows up.

I'll hop on the simulator a couple times a month throughout winter. I'm also pondering putting a net up in the garage now that it's finished and heated but not sure yet.

its really all just weather and life dependent. Its that simple. If I got the time and decent enough weather I will play. I don't mind the cold so long as not very windy and assuming the courses are playable.

But hey, the autumn and approaching holidays brings a lot of time consuming obs. Not to mention its dark much too early. last year was one the worst as far as winter golf (free time wise and weather wise.) It is what it is. Eventually its time to tune up the skis, watch a lot football and hockey, take care of lifes obs, etc.

But at very least a trip too the range here and there is usually in the mix. It must be nice to have golf year round. But again it is what it is.

I actually prefer colder weather myself so that part doesn't really phase me. I will be doing some hunting but I intend to try and play at least 1x per week rain and snow permitting and hit the range 1x per week as well. I just feel like I am still so new to the game and I am getting better every time I play. I really don't want to feel like I need to start over so I will tough it out.

Only a few weeks out of the year I usually can’t play.

I'll usually play into November, occasionally into December. There is also a heated outdoor range that I'll go to once or twice/month for 15-20 minutes just to swing. Usually no "real" golf from December through March though.

This is my first year playing a bunch, so we will see. Strange for some reason golf was always hard to get in when the kids were younger, but I always had time for skiing. So we will have to see how much skiing takes of my time but definitely going to try and get in some golf

I'll play if a course is open. Last winter I played at least once every month, but that was really unusual for a Buffalo winter. Usually it's just practice at the dome.

Back