2018 European Tour Event to have shot clock

arydolphin

GTHC!
Reaction score
Handicap
The Austrian Open in 2018 is going to have a shot clock for every player in the field:

The Tour is set to trial a “shot clock” system at the Austrian Open next June. With a referee following every group, players will be allowed 40 seconds to play each shot, with any breach of that limit attracting an immediate one-stroke penalty.

While I don't think it sounds like the shot clock will be broadcast on TV or visible to fans at the tournament, it will be fascinating to see if this has an impact on pace of play from the professionals.

Pretty they tried this in that weird 6's thing. I imagine they are just going to walk slower so there caddie has everything ready to go when the player is good to go.

Pretty they tried this in that weird 6's thing. I imagine they are just going to walk slower so there caddie has everything ready to go when the player is good to go.

You're right that they tried it in the Sixes event earlier this year, and good point on the caddies. The articles I've read about this have also said that they think the recovery shots around the greens will be impacted the most. I tend to agree with that, 150 yard shot from the fairway is pretty straight-forward, but a 20 yard shot from thick rough to a tucked pin might be a shot that a player would have to think about more. I'm guessing with the shot clock, that won't happen.

Back